What's new

Lighter frustrated ...

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
After decades of frustration from using refillable moderately priced name brand lighters I've given up on expecting reliability from these lighters. From now on I am going the "cheap" route however my question is regarding the quality of butane used in the cheap lighters. I prefer soft flame lighters and I am curious if the butane used in BICs or Djeep lighters negatively effects the taste of the cigar.
If so, any recommendations for a reliable soft flame lighter?

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
I find it interesting how much some people overthink cigar smoking. Light it how you want and smoke it. Cigars are not fragile things that will be ruined by the slightest misstep. I have found that any decent cigar will be enjoyable regardless of how it's lit or cut. Unless your pouring zippo lighter fluid on it, you'll be fine.

Rupe

Suburban robot that monitors reality -BOM Feb.'13
Rating - 100%
401   0   0
Bics and Djeeps both work great for me without any adverse effects on the taste of my cigars. My only issue is that they do not work very well when there is any amount of wind involved.

I have had the best luck with single flame refillable torch lighters over the years, most of which I have spent a maximum of about $20 on. I have a Bugatti lighter, two zippos (with thunderbird inserts) and 3-4 Ronson Jetlites. All of these have been refilled dozens of times and are still going strong after almost 10 years of usage.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
If you’re using refillable lighters use very good butane and you’ll have very few problems in my experience. Colibri brand seemed to clean up most of my refillable lighters that were acting up

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Yep, good butane! I bought a bunch of Xikar Purofine on Cbid and haven't had an issue since I started using it.

Nacho Daddy

Irrepressibly Irreverent Inveterate Ignominy
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
you should purge a lighter before filling, and keep an eye on the sparking rod to insure it stays centered over the jet (s ).
better quality butane is nice, I have had bad luck with Ronson butane.
My favorite lighters are around 3 to 4 dollars, and I buy several at a time.
I see people with the Xicar and other "overpriced " lighters having problems common to lighters in general, and I loan them my $4 cheapie.

Texican

Suburban Legend
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I have a couple Jetlines with the punch cutter attached which always work great. They are like $15 IIRC. They're the ones I bring on vacation/fishing/etc because I won't cry if I lose one. As others have mentioned, using the good butane makes the difference.

As far as nice lighters, I have a Xikar Tactical that is my absolute favorite that @BloodWood sent me. It's the one I use at home 95% of the time. Highly recommend that one. Plus it looks like a lightsaber, so sometimes when nobody is around and it's time to light up, I'll make that "VWOOOM" sound. :cool:

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
you should purge a lighter before filling, and keep an eye on the sparking rod to insure it stays centered over the jet (s ).
better quality butane is nice, I have had bad luck with Ronson butane.
My favorite lighters are around 3 to 4 dollars, and I buy several at a time.
I see people with the Xicar and other "overpriced " lighters having problems common to lighters in general, and I loan them my $4 cheapie.
Which cheapies are you using?

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
Wow, 20 lighters for $36?!?! That's steal!
Don't get me wrong, some might only last a couple/few refills. But 20 of them will last me about 18 months minimum with a couple more going above and beyond. For me, better than dropping 50-75 bucks on a lighter that will probably not last 6 months in my experience.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a few nice Xikars but only use for special occasions like a wedding or something. They do offer lifetime warrantees but you have to fill out a form and send them back... and yeah they break down like all the rest. The can of air to clean out and storing empty helps.

The real lighters that you should use every day, IMHO, should be the inexpensive torch lighters that are strong enough to not blow out if there is a bit of a breeze and also where it's not taking 5 minutes to light a smoke -but- cheap enough where if they break down it's no big whoop.

That 20 lighters for $36 looks nice.

I like the usual little torches and always buy the good fluid.

Something like this around $8 each in a two pack: Amazon.com: Torch Lighter, Cigar Lighter, Triple Jet Flame Torch Lighters, Windproof Butane Refillable Gas Torch Lighters with a Gift Box, 2 Pack (Without Gas) : Health & Household

Capn_Jackson

A Razorback lost in Texas land
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Sorry for the silly post above, but in answer to your question, I’ve never had any issues using a Bic. I just use the wand lighter that’s out by my charcoal grill, same one I use for the Weber lighter cubes.
When it’s windy, I use a cheapie butane, but I do fill it with Xicar purofine. I wouldn’t stress too much about it. As long as you’re not charring the foot of your cigar right down in the heart of the torch/flame, you shouldn’t have concern.

Stogiewear

Smoke 'Em If You Got 'Em
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be honest of the last 25 years I have used good lighters, cheap lighters, BICs, matches, even zippos with lighter fluid and I have never had one negatively impact a cigar. I use whatever is on hand, and even if I have a good lighter handy, I have run out of butane and grabbed whatever I have laying around. Even tried lighting it from my firepit one time :)

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
To be honest of the last 25 years I have used good lighters, cheap lighters, BICs, matches, even zippos with lighter fluid and I have never had one negatively impact a cigar. I use whatever is on hand, and even if I have a good lighter handy, I have run out of butane and grabbed whatever I have laying around. Even tried lighting it from my firepit one time :)
This ^^