What's new

Lighter problems

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I've never had lighter issues with my xikar ellipse III and 90% of the time the b&m fills them..

But I just recently got a ST DuPont Extend. I love it! Haven't used the xikar since!

But about the xikar, just take it to any authorized dealer and they will replace them on the spot. No questions asked!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a 9 dollar NIBO dual jet engine lighter, and it works perfectly. I have been looking at the more expensive jet lighters, but now that I have read this thread, ill save my cash and buy some tasty sticks instead.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad I read this. I have a Xikar single jet that will not light. filled with fuel and tried to light. Not go.

I hear the fuel coming out of the lighter but not light. I am think the ignitor is has weekend and that is my problem.

I am going to send mine in to see what happens.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Well I'm sure by now you know everyone's opinion about taking it back lol. But on a different note... A lot of Xikar stuff I've seen coming out lately is just not that high of quality. Don't light on the first light, weak & fluttering flame, little metal sliding doors that cover the jet getting stuck, etc... I'm starting to think your paying the bulk of your money for the warranty IMO. I still like a few of their things, to be fair.

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
As I understand it from several B&M owners, Xikar is changing their policy or has changed their policy. They are no longer okay with swapping a new one for old. You have to send yours in to be fixed.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
As I understand it from several B&M owners, Xikar is changing their policy or has changed their policy. They are no longer okay with swapping a new one for old. You have to send yours in to be fixed.
Hmmm, interesting... Have not heard that. :scratchhe

Doesn't bode well for them, if that is the case. Especially when Colibri still has lifetime warranty.

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
That is true. If you bought it from the shop sometimes they will send it in for you but the policy is not to replace it on the spot. Xikar's website for years now has said to send to send the products directly to Xikar. There was a brief period recently where quality went down but for the most part it is back to normal. Best advice is to test a new lighter in the store before purchasing.

gibbleguts

BoM april 09
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
Hmmm, interesting... Have not heard that. :scratchhe

Doesn't bode well for them, if that is the case. Especially when Colibri still has lifetime warranty.
Still has? Unless things have gotten better in the new recent incarnation of Colibri many I know had refused to carry them due to the lack of follow through on thier waranty. It is one thing to say that you offer a life time warranty and another to follow through. I have never heard of anyone being refused a repair on an item shipped in to Xikar but have on many occasions had people be told the repairs were not covered under waranty with Colibri. I don't believe that getting people to send back stuff is such a bad thing. I would agree it would be nicer to just take beack to the shop but it can be a headache for them as well.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Still has? Unless things have gotten better in the new recent incarnation of Colibri many I know had refused to carry them due to the lack of follow through on thier waranty. It is one thing to say that you offer a life time warranty and another to follow through. I have never heard of anyone being refused a repair on an item shipped in to Xikar but have on many occasions had people be told the repairs were not covered under waranty with Colibri. I don't believe that getting people to send back stuff is such a bad thing. I would agree it would be nicer to just take beack to the shop but it can be a headache for them as well.

From what I hear... That is the case with Colibri now. I'm weary of buying their product more than I am Xikar. But if Xikar went with a return-repair-send back policy, with Colibri doing "lifetime", I don't think it would be a good thing for Xikar. Doesn't sound like that's the case though.

ATL

BoM 10/12, 9/13, & 8/14
Rating - 100%
342   0   0
I spent $5 kingston jet lighter for a charcoal grill and is has yet to fail in two years. Plus you can use the cheaper butane and it holds a ton of fuel.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my local B&M's did something for me with a lighter that had chronic no light problems. It had to be purged and refilled for almost every light. He actually removed some sort of fuel regulating piece inside of it. Since then it lights pretty darn good and the flame can get 4-5 inches high. Usually if it doesn't light I can give it a good shake and make any adjustment to the flame and it lights.

Fia

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I think there may have been some misunderstandings here with the B&M owners who may have said this to you. I would like to clarify this by saying that I have been with Xikar for nearly 15 years as a rep in Hawaii. I can say first hand that XIKAR is unique among accessory makers in that we have had a lifetime, unconditional warranty since the day we were founded. That warranty can be executed in one of two ways. Send the lighter directly to XIKAR for repair or replacement, or take it to a retailer for repair or replacement. It is up to the retailer whether to send the consumer directly to XIKAR or not. (Some retailers do not offer over-the-counter service). XIKAR honors the warranty either way, through the retailer or directly from the consumer. This has never changed and never will.

A good point that has been previously mentioned in this thread is bleeding the air before refilling. Some other pointers include giving the nozzle a blast of air to clean out debris, try minor flame adjustments and to not shake the can of butane before filling. Shaking the can increases the amount of propellent in the mixture that goes into the lighter.

I hope this clears up any confusion and would be happy to get answers to any questions for you straight "from the horses mouth!" :peace: