What's new

Lighter probz

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
So when I graduated from the bid to butane, I bought a $5 cheapie off monster. Lighter worked well until I went to refill it. I tried bleeding and refilling etc and kept having problems with it taking tons of tries before it would light. I then decided to order a xikar allume last week which worked great!...until I went to refill it and now it barely lights, if at all. Any ideas or words of wisdom regarding bleeding and refilling butane? I figured all the praise xikar gets would mean I'd have no issues win this one, but I dunno...

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Yeppers, probably your butane. It's cheap enough you can afford to buy quality.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
jetline....says 5x refined and the guy at my bnm made it sound like it wouldn't matter, although I guess its the only fuel I've had and used to refill.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Ok, I'm going to ask a really stupid question because I'm out of suggestions. You are turning the lighter upside down, bleeding the lighter with a toothpick or something and then filling the lighter tank with liquid, not gas. Don't shake your fuel can.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
My friend had a similar issue with his Xikar so when he talked to the local Xikar rep, he blew really hard into the jets and viola! it worked again. If you have canned / compressed air, you could try using that too.

I don't know if it matters that much but I've used only Xikar butane and it's worked like a charm.

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Go online and check with YouTube videos on how to properly refill your lighter. Nine times out of 10 it's pilot error... Which means you're either using cheap butane or your refilling it wrong... That means when you go to refill you'll need to purge your lighter of all contents and then when you start your refill ensure that it doesn't spray any of the contents which happens too often. Any overspray means that you are now putting air and butane into the tank which causes a lot of spitting when you go to light it so you'll have to start all over by purging the tank and making sure that when you refill there is no overspray.

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
I have a Xikar element and love it. I did have to send one back cuz it quit sparking. Double check and make sure it’s sparking. I also found that it love for the fuel to be turned up. The second one was working fine until recently. I took the adjustment wheel off and repositioned so the fuel could be turned up more and did the trick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
95   0   0
9 times out of 10, xikar lighters are shit (ready to catch flack)
buy a decent lighter and don't worry about it ever again!
FIFY
I've heard a lot of bad things about their lighters but I've never had any issues with my Xikar Stratosphere (knock on wood).

btubes18

The Thing
Rating - 100%
149   0   0
10 times out of 10, xikar lighters are shit (ready to catch flack)
Agreed. But I am actually going to suggest the opposite....I purchased this bundle back in the summer and have had no issues, I gave two away to friends they love them as well and have had no issues.. They easily take "cheap" butane just fine....At a little over $3 a pop not sure how you can beat them....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Pack-Eagle-Butane-Torch-Lighter-Gun-Windproof-Adjustable-Jet-Flame-Refillable-/253191619686?hash=item3af3658466

bwhite220

Brandon | BotM Jan 2038
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
10 times out of 10, xikar lighters are shit (ready to catch flack)
Use matches. They are much more user friendly.
This is a first for me but, I agree with John and Ryan on this. (One second while I go barf from typing that sentence.)

The only redeeming factor about Xikar lighters is that they have a lifetime warranty and are easily exchanged at any B&M who also sells Xikar.

Unless you are outside in the wind, matches are always a great option!

I'm a bit spoiled and have a Dupont mini jet that someone sent me and I'll tell you right now, if I ever lose that lighter (I don't have to worry about it breaking), I will buy another one. Incredible! On the other hand, there are also some great cheaper lighters out there, too. I have a crap ton of these Eagle Jet Lighters and I've used them for years with ZERO issues. They are like gas station sunglasses, they are ugly but they get the job done and you have zero worries about them because if they break you buy another one and if you lose one, it's only temporary as it will magically show back up. I honestly can't recommend them enough!

btubes18

The Thing
Rating - 100%
149   0   0
This is a first for me but, I agree with John and Ryan on this. (One second while I go barf from typing that sentence.)

The only redeeming factor about Xikar lighters is that they have a lifetime warranty and are easily exchanged at any B&M who also sells Xikar.

Unless you are outside in the wind, matches are always a great option!

I'm a bit spoiled and have a Dupont mini jet that someone sent me and I'll tell you right now, if I ever lose that lighter (I don't have to worry about it breaking), I will buy another one. Incredible! On the other hand, there are also some great cheaper lighters out there, too. I have a crap ton of these Eagle Jet Lighters and I've used them for years with ZERO issues. They are like gas station sunglasses, they are ugly but they get the job done and you have zero worries about them because if they break you buy another one and if you lose one, it's only temporary as it will magically show back up. I honestly can't recommend them enough!

HAHA both of us just sent the same recommendation for eagle jet lighters. I believe the ones I linked have a larger resevoir hence the price difference.

Rating - 100%
40   0   0

btubes18

The Thing
Rating - 100%
149   0   0
Most BOTL know I am a whore for Ronson lighters. They are bulletproof, cheap and easy to upgrade. But I have a few of these ultra cheapies lying around that never seem to fail and the reservoirs are huge and easy to see.
https://www.amazon.com/Single-Lighter-Windproof-Refillable-Cigarette/dp/B00GA80NJO/ref=pd_sim_121_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=ZQ2TF41DWT3Y2T0R26AW
5 of them for under 10 bucks. How can you beat that?
Another added to the pile....see post above.

Rating - 100%
44   0   0
Butane torch lighters can be finicky. Bleed completely, then fill completely. Don't stop filling then start again. Make sure piezo is sparking, blow out jets with compressed air, warm lighter in hand for a few minutes after filling, and try adjusting the fuel valve around a bit. Use high quality fuel. If you do all that properly, I'd blame the lighter. I can recommend Vector products, they are a little pricier, but worth it to me. I've been using urbano triple torch, with the signature 14 fuel for a while now without any issues, refilled dozens of times.