What's new

Lighter recommendation

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Ronson Jetlite. Just a couple bucks at Walmart, Walgreens, etc. They work great!
I second this. I've used probably 2 dozen or so different types of lighters over the years in the $20-30 mark. Xikar, Colibri/Firebird, Ronson, etc.

The best bang for the buck is the Ronson. I've never had a problem with it, it lights on the first try and if you lose it - you're only out $3. The other ones I've had have either had problems filling or holding butane, or the lighting element is a piece of crap.

I recently just purchased a Z-Plus insert for a pair of Zippo's I had. They wouldn't work out of the box!

I do have the tabletop Xikar-Liga Privada triple flame, and I do have to say it is a good lighter considering its size. The triple-flame might be a bit much for most people though. It's usually 80-100 though.

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
Ronson Jetlite. Just a couple bucks at Walmart, Walgreens, etc. They work great!
Yep. Or if you prefer something nicer, go with a company like Xikar that has lifetime warranty or your local B&M that has good service. I bought a nice lighter at my local and they gave me 2 replacements no questions asked when things weren't working right.

Rating - 100%
22   0   0
I love my Xikar "Tech" - http://xikar.com/products/lighters/tech/

I have about 5 Xikar lighters, and they are all amazing, but the Tech has a couple things going for it that I prefer over others:

1) very nice single jet
2) holds a lot of fuel for a compact lighter
3) the fuel reserve is transparent
4) has the xikar warranty

Rupe

Suburban robot that monitors reality -BOM Feb.'13
Rating - 100%
401   0   0
+2 on the Ronson Jetlite for daily use. $2.84 at WalMart and they work like a dream.

For a "classier" lighter I recently picked up a Colibri Primo flint type jetlighter These have a list price of $100 and I was able to get it for $13 on Cigarbid.com.
http://www.cigarbid.com/Auction/Lot/1259368

Rating - 100%
35   0   0
I use a Vector knight (its the same model as the Bugatti that CI sells) ....you can find find these on sale for < $20...I think I purchased mine from Thompsons. Its worked fine for the past 3 years.

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So many of us who were introduced to the Ronson Jet Lite have loved it...it's made well...lights virtually everytime and lasts. If you lose it you're only out a few bucks. 4 years ago I bought my first one and they were so cheap I bought a dozen and I'm still on my first lighter and have 11 in my drawer. I will never "have to" buy another lighter but I have a lighter fetish so I buy em anyway.

vperlman

Harleyrider
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Another vote for the Jet Lite. Buy a bunch of 'em and leave 'em scattered around your house, your workplace, your vehicles, your pockets... As to perceived value, they look much more expensive than they are. The only warnings are: 1) that their finishes are not very durable and will show wear and tear fairly quickly, and 2) that it takes a fair amount of thumb pressure to light them and keep them lighted.

If you decide to go a little more expensive, Xikars are a good way to go for the reasons already stated, but I would stay away from the Xikar Executive --- its finish is delicate and it is fairly large but has a tiny fuel capacity. JMO, YMMV.

If you want to spring for $100+, get a duPont X-tend, either the full-size or the smaller version. If you watch for sales, you can sometimes get the little one for $50-60 and the big one for $100-ish. The only lighter I have ever used that lit the first time, every damned time. :yes:

Fia

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
If you decide to go a little more expensive, Xikars are a good way to go for the reasons already stated, but I would stay away from the Xikar Executive --- its finish is delicate and it is fairly large but has a tiny fuel capacity. JMO, YMMV.
Just an FYI but they have come out with a new Executive II with some improvements such as ignition system, larger size, fuel wheel, etc. http://xikar.com/products/lighters/executive/

danthebugman

BoM Nov '10
Rating - 100%
124   0   0
Depends. How much would it cost you to buy 3 of those and ship them to Miami?
Around $14...give or take a few. Having a hard time recalling exactly how much they are at the local Wal-Mart. Of course I've got several extras...all you had to do was ask man :grin:.

Dan