What's new

Lighters vs Matches

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok, so as long as I've been smoking I've been a strong advocate of matches, they just feel more classic and they just flat out work. Ive been through phases, tried my zippo blu, but the torch is hard to angle and scorches the briar. Ive tried my classic zippo but the direction is still tough and I always taste a touch of chemical which really puts me off. Ive always contemplated buying a butane pipe lighter so that there's no taste and its angled well for my pipe, but I'm not sure if its a good idea. Does anyone with a butane pipe lighter have any advice or comparison vs matches?

Soundwave13

BoM Feb 2010
Rating - 100%
143   0   0
I will only use a soft flame butane (tasteless) lighter to light a pipe. I'll use matches, but it's just so much easier to use a lighter. I have a cheap soft flame/ torch lighter (never use a torch to light a pipe!) and the rest of the time I'll use a regular lighter (bic, etc.).

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Man, Larry don't rub those in, I have a zippo slim! They just refuse to make that insert for my slim, therefore I continue to mope and hope one day they will.

SkinsFanLarry

Craft Beer Addict!
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
Sorry about that, didn't know you had the slim. Just thought if you wanted to continue to use a Zippo you could get the pipe insert.

I use a Colibri Pipe lighter, put's the soft flame at an angle and uses butane. Savinelli makes some nice pipe lighters too.

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
The XiKar Pipeline lighter is a good choice. I got one from my Secret Santa, and love it. Not only does it look sharp, it has a constant flow of butane one it is open. This allows you to light it, and then move your fingers away from the flame when you get your pipe going. Also the flame come out at an angle , making it easier to get the flame i contact with the tobacco. Here is alink, but I did not do the comparison I am sure it can be had for less.
http://www.lighterfly.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=225014

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
I prefer matches but also use the PD2 lighter when I'm in little or no wind situations. If I'm out, I carry the lighter. At home, long wooden kitchen matches.

Out walking in the winter in NE, I carry a torch in case the cigar goes out.

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
Sorry, mind is shot this morning. I thought the discussion was about cigars. But I'm sure the PD2 works great with pipes also.

LiLo

Fire me up a
Rating - 98.7%
103   1   1
I go back and forth. If weather permits i prefer matches bit i use a soft flame lighter quite a bit as well.

Rating - 100%
94   0   0
i bought a porsche designs pipe lighter because i was tired of using matches...only three bowls later i've reverted back to the matches. it just feels right and i never have to worry about fuel or tsa (i know soft flame is acceptable but i've met my fair share of idiots that don't know their own rules.)