What's new

Lighting Closed Feets

Clint

Clint
Rating - 100%
206   0   1
One thing that I have learned over the past 20+ years of enjoying cigars is that you never stop learning!

So, I pose the question to get some more knowlege....

How do you light a closed foor cigar?

Some say to cut off the foot, and light as normal; others say light as is and touch up as needed during the first 1/4"...What do you do?

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
I don't..... I only smoke one cigar at a time!!!!!! :rolling: ( I light a closed foot until its passed the wrapper and keep lighting the binder filler as well)

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
I suppose it depends on what type of closed.

Something like the PCR? Light as normal. Almost never needs a touch up.

Something like the goofy Viajes, or whoever does it, where the head and foot are exactly the same... then yeah, I would clip the foot first.

Rating - 100%
179   0   0
Yes or punch the end. But I rarely smoke cigars that have a closed foot(edit: as in the Viaje C-4).

Last edited:

shadowcam

BoM April '14
Rating - 100%
262   0   0
Just lit up the closed foot on the TAA '11. I only lit up the foot by a little bit so I can take a couple puffs of straight Conn. Broadleaf wrapper. Great stuff. Once I got my fix, I torched it up to full burn.

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
Just lit up the closed foot on the TAA '11. I only lit up the foot by a little bit so I can take a couple puffs of straight Conn. Broadleaf wrapper. Great stuff. Once I got my fix, I torched it up to full burn.
this is the intent, and when it works, it works. unfortunately, most of the time i want to get into the cigar part of the cigar, and just carefully apply heat until it's even. which, for me, makes it more for visual aesthetic than anything else.

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
I just smoked one last night in fact... I just lit up the closed foot and the wrapper was pretty thin on the end and the filler burned quickly.

aroma

Luva Sweet Easy Retrohale
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're talking about a perfecto, like a Fuente Hemingway, they were originally invented to conserve matches; you're supposed to just light the tip of the foot. I usually don't have the patience and just snip some off the foot with a cutter or torch the whole foot.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just recently smoked the TAA 2012 blend... It had a closed foot and the recent cigars I've always ripped off the closed part, this time I kept it closed and just lit it a little extra and it was great... No burn issues or nothing! From now on ill keep em covered and light up

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Whether it be something like a Hemmingway, or a normal closed foot like a Tat Anniversary or Kristoff, I just light them like regular cigars. I love to taste mostly wrapper on the first puff or two.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Something like the goofy Viajes, or whoever does it, where the head and foot are exactly the same... then yeah, I would clip the foot first.
The very first time I smoked a Honey & Hand Grenades I clipped the head and took a pre-light draw. Nothing. I was like "Damn, that's a tight draw!" Then I realized that the foot was closed and rolled into a point. Doh!

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
I like to taste the wrapper leaf, so I light that up and draw, but I never can actually get the rest of the filler toasted properly that way, so I usually puff a little bit after lighting the closed foot, then when the heat inevitably dies out, I get out my torch and toast the foot.

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Usually light em the same way as an open-foot cigar. I do enjoy them because I find that they get rid of any initial scorched tobacco taste when lighting with a butane lighter. Could be just me though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free