What's new

liked this

hdroadglide

BoM x 2, BoY 2011
Rating - 100%
514   0   0
There‘s an extraordinary Facebook post that’s gone viral that shows a pint of Guinness on a bar beside an American flag and a “reserved” sign for a fallen Navy SEAL.

Lt. Michael Murphy was killed in combat in Afghanistan in 2005 after leading a four-man SEAL team on a reconnaissance mission. After coming under fire from approximately 50 insurgents, Murphy knowingly exposed himself to enemy fire so he could transmit a signal requesting immediate assistance for his team. Murphy and two of the other SEALs died in the firefight, though the fourth member, Marcus Luttrell, survived. For his actions, Murphy was posthumously awarded the Medal of Honor.

As promised… I just walked into a local pub (PUB 25, Newtown, CT) and asked to speak with the Owner/Manager. I asked if I could leave a cold one on the bar for Michael all day . I showed him the “Reserved” sign I made and explained I wanted to leave him sufficient funds to buy a random person a Guinness every hour today, and that when the surprised patron asks him “Who is this from?” he should reply: “It’s from LT Michael P. Murphy.” and point to the reserved sign. The Owner/Manager was so in tune with this small gesture, he refused my money, introduced me to two men working in the PUB who just returned home from Afghanistan and Iraq with the ASSURANCE that my request on Michael’s behalf would be honored. God Bless America!

Phyllis Gavin, a manager at Pub25 American Grille, confirmed to The Blaze the photo and its description are indeed real. They still have the display up, and Gavin said she’s fielded phone calls from all over the country inquiring about it. Pub25 continues to give away pints of Guinness in Murphy’s honor.

“It’s been unbelievable,” she said.

Reaction from patrons who have received the pints of Guinness have varied, she said, from recipients being surprised and pleased to offering to pay for it themselves.

She said patrons have come into the pub specifically after hearing the story, and that one person even stopped in to give $20. Gavin said all donations collected will be given to the Lt. Michael P. Murphy Memorial Scholarship Foundation.

“It’s a simple little thing but means a lot to so many people,” she said. “Just a little bit so that we all remember.”

As of Friday afternoon, the original Facebook post had been “liked” more than 19,000 times and had spread around the Internet, including on the website BuzzFeed and on Luttrell’s Facebook page.

Clint

Clint
Rating - 100%
206   0   1
Great, great story...Thanks for sharing.

I think you are missing something, though Bob...The part that says "as promised"....Unless I'm the one who is missing something, where does the story mention the promise that was made? I can assume, but thought maybe something was missing.

aquarich

BoM March '11
Rating - 100%
205   0   0
Wow, if that doesn't make your hair stand on end and make you feel what that bond between brothers of war must be like, nothing will. Thanks, Bob