What's new

Linkedin... ?

Shmear

Megan the Great
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
So, I've signed up to Linkedin, but I'd like more insight about it. Has anyone here signed up and actually gotten a job interview or the sort?

Thanks a lot!

owensaz

Pallabra. (Word.)
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
What exactly do you need? It's a great networking resource I've interviewed using Linkedin.

It's a way to directly market yourself to the companies you wish to work for or even ask questions of professionals in positions you desire.

Last edited:

Tnt Cigarguy

BoM Jan 12
Rating - 100%
138   0   0
Help us with what you are looking for. But its a great networking tool and a lot of companies including mine use it for finding talent.

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
new guy here...

but I concur with everything said above..

it is an excellent business networking site..

we use it extensively when recruiting for mid to senior level management positions as well as finding people for highly specialized positions or tasks...

jmatkins

BoM January 08
Rating - 99%
159   1   0
Also look for small groups on it that line up with your field, I am in the medical field and have cardiovascular & medical robotics, so I found these that are in line with my field.

Medical Device Guru
MEDICAL ROBOTICS GROUP
St. Jude Medical (my company)
as well as
The Cigar Group
Cigars and Professionals

Give it a try and see what comes of it.

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I do IT for a recruiting agency- yes they use it (sorry mathen). It does depend on your industry and experience of course. IT and healthcare are pretty big. If you're a new college grad that majored in liberal arts, I'm not sure it will help you very much.

Shmear

Megan the Great
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Well, not looking for anything specific right now. I launched my profile out of curiosity, really. But thank you for the insight! I hope i can use it better in the near future.

The EVP

The Bully
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
It's great for networking in the business world but some people use it as a Facebook Lite (I don't accept anyone on LinkedIn that I don't know personally or have worked with in the past). I do know of a couple of people that have gotten jobs from it though, so I guess it does work.

owensaz

Pallabra. (Word.)
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I'm on linked in but I thought the idea was to collect as many connections as you could - like top trumps !
Yes an no.. the assumption of the site is 50 or more connects means you are "well versed" in your profession. But some.. myself included are kind of reluctant to just accept random people for the sake of hitting a metric.

cartisdm

Young & Eager
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
I've had a LinkedIn account since freshman year of college and I've always heard people say it's a great networking tool, but honestly I've never seen it used. I have maybe a handful of connections but it's all former class-mates and extended family. Perhaps if I was actively looking for a job I would use it more (somehow?) but honestly I've never seen much use in it. Carrierbuilding and other resume sites are extremely effective though.

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
No worries joker. I got a serious job offer the other day from it. Just wasn't willing to move.

I don't have a facebook or a twitter, so it's the only social networking I know outside of forums.

Herfin' Harg

BoM March 2012
Rating - 100%
142   0   0
A word of caution to everyone regarding social media, generally: Be careful what you put out there.

Realize that under most site terms of use, you are relinquishing control of any information that you post (or anything that others in your groups, circles, etc., may post on your behalf). There's very little that can done to effect a takedown of any content that is posted by or about you. Likewise, these companies have no obligation (and are inversely incentivized) to remove your profile or destroy any data they've collected from/about you should you choose to delete your profile in the future.

So, think ahead, folks. From here til Road Warrior, anything that you associate your name with online is going to follow you.

Rupe

Suburban robot that monitors reality -BOM Feb.'13
Rating - 100%
401   0   0
I have used Linkedin for about 3 years now and found that it can be helpful however it is not the networking tool that I expected it would be.

On a positive note, about 6 months ago I was looking to hire someone so I put a posting out on Linkedin and Monster at the same time. The quality and number of candidates that I got from Linkedin was far and away better than Monster. As a recruiting tool I would certainly recommend it. Hopefully that relates positively to the other side of the coin (your job search) as well.

FireDoc83

Cigar Assassin
Rating - 98.5%
108   1   0
A word of caution to everyone regarding social media, generally: Be careful what you put out there.

Realize that under most site terms of use, you are relinquishing control of any information that you post (or anything that others in your groups, circles, etc., may post on your behalf). There's very little that can done to effect a takedown of any content that is posted by or about you. Likewise, these companies have no obligation (and are inversely incentivized) to remove your profile or destroy any data they've collected from/about you should you choose to delete your profile in the future.

So, think ahead, folks. From here til Road Warrior, anything that you associate your name with online is going to follow you.
Blah Blah Blah, Damn you sound like a LAWYER! :scratchhe.

Good point Max! :thumbsup: