What's new

Live Music

BrendanM

Nicofiend
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A good woman part 1

So I was 18 and hooked up with this 27 year old chick named Bonnie. She provided transportation, tickets and booze for I don't know how many shows, mostly the last 3 bands mentioned but there were some important bonus bands (and some pretty forgettable ones too. I'd love to say I at least provided all the grass we smoked, but that is only true in that it was either mine or sold to her by me. The first one was some local boys she used to party with, but they got picked up by Columbia for one album, so they became something of a national thing...can't find anything live:

Next was Prong at The Middle East in Cambridge, just afore Snap your Fingers, Snap Your Neck got much radio play. This NSFW set I found is from 1 week after I saw them:

BrendanM

Nicofiend
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A good woman part 2

There is some small part of me that wishes I saw them with Joey, but mostly I am largely satisfied with John's performance (sure glad Neil didn't jump in a time machine to front them).
For what it's worth (not much to me) Fight opened for them. Here's a NSFW show from a few weeks before I saw them at the Avalon on Lansdowne St. Thanks, Bonnie!

BrendanM

Nicofiend
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A good Woman part 3

I never did commit to Bonnie and ended up involved with 2 lasses my own age, 1 of whom I ended up marrying (Oops!).

Anyways, an acquaintance won 4 tickets to see Pink Floyd from a radio station on 5/19/94 at Foxboro Stadium. Those tickets went to him, a mutual best friend, that friend's girlfriend and Bonnie.

4 more of us packed in the van to tailgate, including the aforementioned young ladies. Next thing I know Bonnie comes back to the van with a ticket she found for me for a $75 loan.

Dunno if it was one last try to win me back or if she is just that cool, even after I burned her. Not long after the show she moved back to NH and only has talked to me once since.

Shoulda stuck with that one. Miss ya, Bonnie!

BrendanM

Nicofiend
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This goes out to most of the old school South shore gang: Earle, Anthony, Cyrus, Coatsey, Nick, Rilo, Smithers, even Keister. Dunno who was there other than me and Earle. Smoked too much pot back then. So yeah a bunch of us took the van and maybe the Land-Raider to go see The Dead Milkmen at Axis on 4/17/94. Their band gear malfunctioned and started a fire so they did mini-sets on either side of our being evacuated to the alley. This is the nearest show I could find to that one (yeah over two years difference) that is halfway listenable. NSFW

BrendanM

Nicofiend
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Spring 1994 - Infectious Grooves

This was the only time I had the pleasure of seeing Robert Trujillo, my second favorite bassist (glad to see him before he joined Metallica). It too was at Axis. I tried crowd-surfing for the first of 2 times. I only weighed 125 lbs. but I was inconsiderate and left my boots hanging down kicking everyone, so they dropped me, as it would happen, on my head. I sat out some of my favorite songs on a toilet (only seat I could find) with my head spinning. After the show though I got my cardboard mask signed by a 16 year old Brooks Wackerman. Here they are 2 years later...sound quality is mostly OK.

NSFW

BrendanM

Nicofiend
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ah, the Middle East - spent many nights there and even played there (way) back in the day. Was The Rat still in operation when you were in Boston? Saw some good shows there.
I only hit The Rat a few times with Bonnie. I know one night she fed me too much liquor and I blacked out most of it.

The other was another good local band that had "High" as part of their name. Followed them around a bit, but can never recall their full name.

BrendanM

Nicofiend
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Think twas the Summer of 94 we stumbled across Pro-Pain playing free at Tower Records to promote the Truth Hurts. This one guy dressed for a disco tried a few times to start a mosh-pit and the store employees tried to drag him down the escalator. He struggled to stay and they beat the piss out of the poor fellow.

BrendanM

Nicofiend
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Friday, August 12 Woodstock '94 part 1:

My mom scored 4 tickets for me from a friend at her work at cost (think they were about $150 apiece). 1 went of course to the girl I would later marry (Ack!). 1 went to a recent best friend who was only 16 and would turn out to be among the fakest people I ever met, a thief and a liar that 1. The last went to Earle, a longtime best friend who had a Blazer and as it would happen hated both the others as he saw they were no good for me. He was the 1 to introduce me to Bonnie from the earlier posts too. I had a roll of what I think was called "Unrollies" and 7/8 of an ounce of weed so I made the biggest spliff I've ever seen in person for our adventure. We stashed that for our arrival celebration in the Blazer's glovebox which happened to detach if you opened it. We managed to get pulled over with beer on all our breath. and when the glovebox fell apart the cop asked for it. He actually moved the joint as he rummaged through it, handed it back and let us go. Best experience I ever had with the police. Leave it to Earle to find a trail in the woods in a town he'd never been to, to park the Blazer and smoke the doobie. Thing about killed us! The roach ended up making nearly enough joints to last the rest of the weekend. So off we went to Mudstock through a hole in a fence realizing no one else bothered dropping the buck-fifty to see the show.

BrendanM

Nicofiend
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Friday, August 12 Woodstock '94 part 2:

Looking back I wish we caught Blues Traveler. The GF wanted to drag me to Violent Femmes and I wish I let her. I even kinda wish I saw Sheryl Crow, Jakyl or King's X. Instead we just set up camp, got a way overpriced bite to eat and met up with the other two carloads of folk from our neck of the woods. We went to bed early to be fresh for Saturday's shows but our camp was too close to Ravestock so that kept us up all night. I never have been to a rave and wish I'd at least experienced the whole thing since no way in heck was I getting any sleep. Oh, well...

BrendanM

Nicofiend
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Saturday, August 13 part 1

After scoring some fake or water-damaged acid and my first ball of opium, we went to see Primus. They came on a full hour and a half late, by which point I had lost my voice from screaming "Primus Sucks!" They didn't play Tommy the Cat, the song that introduced me to them, but there was a nice bit of Master of Puppets at the end. Word was that Les tried out for Cliff's position and was told he was too good for Metallica by the band themselves. NSFW

I skipped Aerosmith (sadly!) because at 18 I though I was too hardcore for them (Think I finally admitted I'm just nerdcore last week or so). Yet I fortunately checked out The Band, who put on a great show. I never though followed up and looked further into them.

BrendanM

Nicofiend
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Saturday, August 13 part 2

NSFW

We found a nice spot very close to the far left side of the stage for these guys. I kept trying to pass my joints to a gorgeous on-duty security guard, who kept declining to partake.

BrendanM

Nicofiend
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Saturday, August 13 part 3

During NINs performance the GF put 2 and 2 together and announced she was pregnant. We were in the middle of a mud-person mosh-pit, and she wanted to leave it. She brutally assaulted anyone that got in her way going out and I had to try to apologize to them all in the middle of a blaring concert. Months later the first name we agreed on for a boy was Trent, but I was insistent that his middle name be Reznor and she wasn't having it. The boy lucked out and got a good Irish name in the end instead, because of this disagreement. Would have been so wrong, but hey as "Weird Al" says I was "Young, Dumb and Ugly."

For Metallica we went back to our Cypress Hill spot at leftmost front stage

BrendanM

Nicofiend
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

After that I stayed up all night scraping the weed pipe to smoke opium again and again. Dunno much about it, but I'm guessing I was lucky to live through it. I was definitely lucky I didn't get hooked. I am a fiend and liked it way too much, but only did it 1 more time after that.

BrendanM

Nicofiend
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This goes out to my sister and with a huge apology to the artist. See she was getting famous, on MTV and all around '94 or '95. We found her one night playing a T (Boston subway) station across the tracks from us. We were on our way home from some metal or hardcore show or another, stoned out of our minds. I started it! I got all the change out of my pocket and next thing you know we were all throwing coins at her, laughing our dumb heads off. We didn't even know it was her until she busted out this song. She had the grace to keep performing while being pelted with small change and acted like we didn't exist. 5 or 6 years later I found myself upgrading some software on her mom's computer and had to hold my tongue about what a dick I was. Worse still, years after that I was pretty crazy and wrote and published online, a poem about the weird history and certain fantasies I'd had.