What's new

LIVE REVIEW: 2009 RE Canada RE Vegas Robaina Petit Robaina

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
2009 RE Canada Vegas Robaina Petit Robaina

A beautiful afternoon here in Toronto. Busy morning today. Went to the beach to set up and taught my daughter how to underhand serve, had a bike ride with the family and now cooking lunch on the BBQ for everyone. TIme to slow it down with a 2009 RE Canada Vegas Robaina Petit Robaina.

Was gifted this cigar from a great BOTL. LIght, golden colorado wrapper. Very dense cigar. Stuffed to the gills. The construction is fantastic and the tobacco looks first class. No veins at all. Smooth to the touch. Triple cap perfectly executed.

The cigar sustained an injury during its photo shoot. As I captured the image, the cigar rolled off the deck and the delicate wrapper split in 2 places. No worries. Will smoke it anyways. :)

A heavy dose of earthiness, pepper, and a hint of graham cracker and bitter chocolate in the cold draw. The draw itself is almost too easy. No resistance at all. Never had one of these yet so I am excited to try this. Only have 2 right now to sample. Meant to this earlier to see if they were box ready but those damn Cohibas are addictive. LOL

Time to fire this up.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

The ash is a "DIRTY" grey. Coming apart as I smoke it. That is probably due to me dropping it earlier. Hopefully, the cigar will stay together and correct itself after we get through the cracked wrapper. The burn is pretty straight though, all things considered.

The first initial puffs are all leather, earthiness and a touch of sweetness to it. Sort of like honey and vanilla nut protein bar.

My mom just got back from Jamaica and brought back a few bags of Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee. This is a inspiring pairing. Highly recommended.

There is a nice creaminess to this cigar in a Cohiba kind of way. I thought that this would be a strong cigar due to the pedigree of the marca. Not the case.

I get through the fractured portion of the cigar and it is smoking very easily. In fact, too easily. Would have liked to see a little resistance on the draw. Surprisingly loose, considering the density of this cigar when I sqeezed it.

Burn line is all good. Ample smoke billowing. The smoke itself has an aroma of oolong tea and honey. Very nice1

Rating - 100%
14   0   0

This cigar is quite flavourful. Not what I thought the experience would be at all. I've always heard that Vegas Robaina has some strength to them however, this cigar is fairly mild. Good variation of flavours and complexity. The honey/vanilla/creamy textures are a nice counterbalance to the earthy, leathery characteristics in the cigar.

As I work my way down through the 2nd third, all I can think of is a frothy, creamy capuccino with a biscotti chaser. Delicious!

Entering the final third now. The earthy, leathery flavours have taken to the front lines. Less creaminess/honey/vanilla notes. Graham cracker and marshmellows have made an appearance. Very interesting. This cigar is keeping me guessing.

The burn line continues to be sharp. Copious amounts of smoke production fill the air. Sun is shining. The little guy is having a nap. All is good in the world. Will be ready to hit the beach volleyball court this afternoon fully relaxed.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0

Final impressions: This cigar has me guessing all the way through. It's amazing how perception isn't necessarily reality. I had a perception that this was going to be a strong little guy however, it was far from the case. Nice complexity, great flavours and a rich, smoothness that I wasn't expecting. Looks like time has mellowed out this petit robusto.

Very enjoyable. Now, off to the Beach Volleyball courts!