What's new

LIVE REVIEW: Ramon Allones 898

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
tonight, an RA 898 that was gifted to me by a generous BOTL paired with some delicious Legendario.

The wrapper is a leather, deep cocoa brown. beautifully constructed. Nice sheen to it still. The triple cap is well made. The cigar itself is well made. No soft spots throughout the cigar however a little firm by the band.

This cigar is a Seleccion Orchant. Not sure that that means. I am guessing that it has Orchant's stamp of approval.

The smell off of the wrapper reminds me of a hazelnut mocca latte. Creamy, hazelnut and cocoa all wrapped into one.

The foot is densely packed. Cold draw shows fairly strong resistance. Hope that this won't be an issue.

Getting some hints of cedar, hazelnut and cream from the cold draw off the foot.

I ease my punch into the triple cap. Nice and slow. no cracks at the head. Easy Peasy.

Cold draw is a little firm but nothing to complain about. More cedar, hazelnut, mocha and spice from the cold draw.

Time to take this to the flame.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0

Draw is fairly firm. Acceptable amount of smoke but not huge volumes. Pure, clean tobacco taste. Cedar interlaced with floral notes and some dried fruit.

I really have to take a generous haul to get air flow. It's like it tightened up. Might have to pull out my Palio and give it a snip. I hope this doesn't give me a headache!

Smoke volume has dissipated. Flavours fairly muted. Cmon cigar. Wakey, wakey. Let's go!!!!

Burn line is slanted. Someone call makeup for a touch up!!!!

This cigar is fighting with me. Tough draw and v burn line. Not getting much smoke and flavours don't want to come out and play. GGGGRRRR!!!!!!

The Legendario is hitting the spot though..... :thumbsup:

Rating - 100%
14   0   0

Massage, massage, massage. I try to massage the cigar to loosen it up. I feel a little Dirty doing this. LOL

Tightening up like a tent peg. I am resisting with all my might not to pitch this and try to remain optimistic.

The flavours continue to be muted. Mainly cedar and dried fruit. It's not showing any strength or robust flavours at all. I can't even call it delicate. I know they are there. Someone please turn up the volume PLEASE!!!!!

A snip from my palio doesn't give any reprieve. Still a very firm draw. Damn it!!! Why don't you like me 898?

I can't do it anymore. It's you not me. It was fun while it lasted but you are too hard to get to know... LOL

I gotta put it down. If I keep trying to get a good draw from this, my head is going to explode!!!! Like trying to suck a rock through a straw. No mas.

Oh well. We tried...

Time to pour another glass of Legendario......

TommyGunz

BoM June 2011
Rating - 100%
116   0   0
So sorry you had a dud, I have never seen this second band before either.

The ones I have had have just been superb, rich and creamy and complex. This is one cigar that I think about from time to time and really wish they were still made.

BMack

Some say I'm a dreamer...
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
That sucks but thanks for sharing anyway, they can't all be winners!