What's new

Live Translation Software ?

Clint

Clint
Rating - 100%
206   0   1
I am looking to have a live speech in English instantly translated into Spanish.

From what I have learned by searching a bit on the interwebs is that this is called speech to speech translation...

I am wondering if anyone has any experience with accomplishing this?

More specifically, an English speaker would be speaking, and the software would instantly translate the spoken words into Spanish, and then that translation would be transmitted to members in the audience via headsets*

*All of the technical logistics are in place, the missing piece is just the software.

Any and all info, advice, or recommendations would be very greatly appreciated!

Clint

Clint
Rating - 100%
206   0   1
I was sorta (maybe naively) thinking that the software could be quite literally purchased as an app, and cost very little.

For example, Google has a free translated that works great on iPhones and androids...I was experimenting with it today at lunch

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
I was sorta (maybe naively) thinking that the software could be quite literally purchased as an app, and cost very little.

For example, Google has a free translated that works great on iPhones and androids...I was experimenting with it today at lunch
Be careful with Google Translate...

It will get you close.. but its translation of certain words and phrases can be sketchy..

Its better at Spanish than many other languages.. but.. it is FAR from perfect... and depending on what dialect you are trying to translate (central americans speak Spanish differently than south americans.. who speak Spanish differently than people from Spain..etc..etc..) it can get WAY off base at times.. (google translate uses very strict castilian spanish as its base)

I use google translate almost daily at work (Ive got about 70 central and south americans on the payroll with limited english skills).. it allows us to communicate.. but.. can be confusing at times.. and occasionally can be outright funny (I got an email from a former Guatemalan senior military officer yesterday that was trying to tell me how much he appreciated something the company did for him that was translated to say I want to hug you.. when what he was trying to say was "I really appreciate this!"...

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
Trying to get this going with a non-profit, so budget is nil...
Talk to both google and microsoft (find the right number.. and actually call them)... both companies provide A LOT of stuff to non profits either for free or at seriously discounted rates... they might have exactly what you are looking for, for free

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I use an Android App on my phone so when I travel and there's nobody around speaking English all I have to do is speak and it translates it into the language where I am traveling. They answer by speaking into my phone and it translates back to me what they said....I've caught a few saying things like..."Go F yourself you American a hole"......great memories.

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
As an interpreter/translator for several years, I can assure you both Google's and Microsoft's translators are not good for that. Maybe as Dave mentions, for emails and basic communication, yes...and even then I would recommend him to have someone or a better software.

Dragon Naturally speaking has a dictation and reading software but you are better off with a translator. Maybe searching for one who is willing to do it for little money since it is a non-profit?

Send me a PM and tell me more about it

EDIT: The CompadreSuite like it was said before, has good reviews but it gets quite expensive, and personally I find more reliable someone doing it.

Last edited:

BradMc

<b>Charity Liaison</b><br>BoM September 07
Rating - 100%
148   0   0
As other have said Google translator work OK with Emails and short non in-depth Doc.
I have been using Google Trans. to communicate with the folks in TECHO and it work ok about 80% of the time , some words it will not find or use (do to the slang or meaning in other languages) , What I'm finding, is coming up with Words and Terms that mean the same in English and in Spanish , But u guys all know me, I have such a command of the English language anyway .....lol
I do know that if we did not have a interpreter/translator in Nica, it would be very hard to do what we r doing ......
@Clint i'd be interested when u find it .......Good Luck

Clint

Clint
Rating - 100%
206   0   1
As an interpreter/translator for several years, I can assure you both Google's and Microsoft's translators are not good for that. Maybe as Dave mentions, for emails and basic communication, yes...and even then I would recommend him to have someone or a better software.

Dragon Naturally speaking has a dictation and reading software but you are better off with a translator. Maybe searching for one who is willing to do it for little money since it is a non-profit?

Send me a PM and tell me more about it

EDIT: The CompadreSuite like it was said before, has good reviews but it gets quite expensive, and personally I find more reliable someone doing it.
PM sent!