What's new

Local or Mail

Rating - 100%
72   0   0
How do you prefer to purchase your smoke's?
If local why? For loyalty, to have on hand once paid for?
If by mail? For price/conveniece?

Do you feel the cigars you can purcahse locally are of better quality?

jmatkins

BoM January 08
Rating - 99%
159   1   0
I get smokes both ways, I will save up some money to get a box for a certian event, however I will let the order date pass and need to go out to get the box at my local dealer(and pay a little more). Or if I want a certian cigar for an evening that I am out of I'll go by and buy 1 to 3 of them.

I also use mail order to get some good deals that a local dealer will not have, I often use Cigarbid to try some new cigars that I have never tried.

And as far as quality over the years I have gotten more cigars that are cracking from a local dealer than mail order.

MichiganM

The One, The Only
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
For me it's cheaper to do mail order so that's how I do for 95% of my stuff.

I like to occasionally buy from the B&M to support my local cigar business.

AZsteelman

April 2006 BoM
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
I am lucky, my taxes here aren't bad, so I do both. Some of the locals do really good in competing with the online.

Electric Sheep

Dsicle - BoM Dec 06
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
I do both because they often carry different products. There are certain things I can only get at my local b&m, and there are certain other things that the local b&m can't get at all.

MichiganM

The One, The Only
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Man, you guys are lucky.

Just to put some perspective on it a single Padron 2K is about $5.50 on average around here. A single 64 Exclusivo runs around $20.00 or so. An Opus XXX is like $18.00.

And that's before they add tax!

Rating - 100%
206   0   0
I'd like to purchase locally, but CA currently has a 47% tobacco tax. That combined with the high real estate / labor costs here and you wind up basically doubling (or more) the price of cigars vs. online shops.

I do occasionally purchase a few singles if I'm using the shop's lounge area to meet with friends, but I refuse to provide more than a pittance of tax revenue to the smoke nazis out here.

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
Local for singles or to try something new.

Online for boxes always due to low price.

Quality is equal from whom I buy with, if now vendor will credit or replace them.

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
I haven't ever bought NCs online...I really like going into a shop and perusing the selections and chatting with the employees.

Obviously I can only buy non-cuban cigars locally.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I pretty much buy local.

I have a good relationship with the owner of one of the local shops. I rarely pay retail, and it's a good place to kick back and smoke as well. I can be found there most Friday nights, good collection of folks.

Cultivating a good relationship with your local retailer is always a good thing to do. You'll hear about things that most off the street customers don't know anything about, sometimes there will be sticks passed your way, example, for xmoose, gave me an Ashton ESG.

Alan

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
Both. as Ted said...CA is a killer with its taxes. I buy local to support my B&M but rarely if ever boxes.

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Depends on their origin (if you know what i mean) and brand. Some brands the local shop doesn't carry, so they are easier to get online. Theres also the tax break if you are gettin a box of something. I like supporting the local guy but I think he has some behind the scenes business not related to cigars (if you know what i mean here too).

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aholsber, Ya can't buy your avatar at any local B&M that I know of :thinkidea:

As I said...it's good to get to know your local shop owner. (for the wonderful folks at NSA and customs) I would never condone the purchase of contraband from places that we have an embargo on.

Alan

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I purchase singles at the local stores, but their selection is lacking. We have two stores that sell premium cigars and to my knowledge, neither is run by a cigar or pipe smoker. One store is a liquor store that keeps a small humidor for the college kids. The other store is a pipe and cigar store but it is run by the daughter of the original owner and she has little knowledge. 85% of my purchases are internet due to selection and pricing.

derek

An OG with low post count
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I buy either way. It all depends on product, price and how soon I want it.