What's new

Long term storage

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
The wine cooler I used to store my pipe tobacco gave up the ghost this am so I had to move everything into my frigeradores (sp) with my cigars. I've noticed some interesting pipe tobacco aromas in the unit so I'm thinking mason jars with new lids hand tightened might not be the best seal. Any recommendations? I can purchase a cheap sealer that attaches to my foodsaver for under $20. Is a little vacuum to tighten the lids the best option or as some have suggested a dip in Paraffin wax better?

On another topic I opened a tin of SPC tobacco fron Cbid that had some corrosion inside the tin. Is this common with SPC or just poor storage at the devil site? Kind of think I should move all my SPC and other moist tobaccos to new jars.

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
You could try warming up the jar lid a little bit, All I do is tighten all the way down (pretty tight) if I happen to think about I will go back and retighten em a few weeks later, when I open a jar I have to actually pry the top off.
The quality of tins in the last 5-10 years has not gotten better, almost all of the major manufacturers say that the tins are not really designed for ‘long term storage’ if you have one that’s showing corrosion chances are good that there will be others as well.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
@OneStrangeOne

Yea, warming the jars then tightning the lids will provide a bit of a vacuum so I guess the vacuum itself isn't an issue. I kind of like the idea of a popped lid telling me the seal didn't hold up. If I move all my tins to jars I'll need more temperature controlled storage space. Fortunatly humidor temps are similar to wine storage temps so I'm not buying tobacco storage, I'm buyiny my wife more wine storage, easier sell.

Thanks for your reply I always appreciate your advice.

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
@OneStrangeOne

Yea, warming the jars then tightning the lids will provide a bit of a vacuum so I guess the vacuum itself isn't an issue. I kind of like the idea of a popped lid telling me the seal didn't hold up. If I move all my tins to jars I'll need more temperature controlled storage space. Fortunatly humidor temps are similar to wine storage temps so I'm not buying tobacco storage, I'm buyiny my wife more wine storage, easier sell.

Thanks for your reply I always appreciate your advice.
If you REALLY want to score some wife points you could build her a walk-in cellar, I’ve done a couple for clients that double as humidors.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I have seriously considered it but a lack of space and the need to keep it cooled are major issues. I'm ruminating on buying a wire 150 bottle rack to consolidate all the small racks spread around my office but I know a bunch of empty rack space only means I'll have to buy more wine!

If I got rid of all the armoires, cabinets, shelves, wine racks and just built a well thought out shelf and wine rack system I would make better use of the space I do have and it would look a lot better then the mishmash I currently have.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
The vacuum sealer thing seems to work pretty well. Bought a new small"ish" fridge and put an inkbird on it like the refrigeradors for pipe tobacco. Damn thing is full already. Proof that empty space is a vacuum.

New metal wine rack and a couple of large wire shelves from Sams for the liquor.

I