What's new

lookin for lurkers

Rating - 100%
18   0   0
rolled my first couple tubular tobacco products today (I won't insult the rest of the cigars out there by calling these by the same name) they did not come out well, but I learned a lot. I've gone back and watched the video again, picked up more of the process and noticed a few places I went wrong. I'll give it another shot this week, at least I can't do any worse :) Just the smell of the leaf laid out on the table made this worth it.

View attachment 127973
View attachment 127974
Hey, that looks better than the turd I rolled. Where did you snag your slab of marble?

Jody

Rating - 100%
82   0   0
Hey, that looks better than the turd I rolled. Where did you snag your slab of marble?

Jody
Home Depot. It’s actually a cutting board. It’s a little small, wish I’d have gotten a chunk of tile instead.

Rating - 100%
82   0   0
Thanks buddy. May check on the tile then. You have an idea of what a good size would be?

Jody
check out that video @webmost posted in this thread, he even mentions the tile. looks like it's 12X24" ? mine is 18" long and I was running out of space to lay the wrapper out.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
check out that video @webmost posted in this thread, he even mentions the tile. looks like it's 12X24" ? mine is 18" long and I was running out of space to lay the wrapper out.
Home Despot has one foot by two foot tiles for just a couple bucks. If you have a wrap more than 18" long, tho, you have one helluva wrap and yer wrappin a gar long as a broom handle.

Warms my cockles to see newbs havin fun.

How they burnin for ya?

Rating - 100%
82   0   0
Home Despot has one foot by two foot tiles for just a couple bucks. If you have a wrap more than 18" long, tho, you have one helluva wrap and yer wrappin a gar long as a broom handle.

Warms my cockles to see newbs havin fun.

How they burnin for ya?
the wrapper isn't longer than the board, but you run out of room to work very quickly. I'm not sure how they burn just yet, they feel dry enough to try this evening. The first attempt has a VERY loose draw, I don't think it'll burn well. My second attempt draws just about right. I have no idea what they'll taste like, or what filler ended up where. I got preoccupied with the process and forgot what leaves I grabbed and how many. I'm far less concerned with that aspect at this point, I need to learn how to roll something that resembles a cigar and smokes before I can worry about a blend.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Not to convince you to do or don't anything, not as a point of debate, but simply as a factoid for reflection, consider this:

This is the standard professional cigar rolling block:

This maple gem measures 9" x 13". I placed readers and chaveta atop mine for this pic just to prove the scale. This seems astonishingly small. Yet this is the standard size upon which innumerable housewives helped their households to thrive by rolling cigars while hubby sweated at the mill or delved down in the mine and children were at school, back in the day when hand made cigars were a gigantic Pennsylvania cottage industry. The very cigars which Twain smoked and Grant clenched in his jaws were rolled on tablas such as this. Nine by thirteen inches. A compact space.

Here's the oddity: Once you begin to roll on one of these antiques, you discover right quick that this midget size is not only sufficient, but handy. Where'd they derive the baker's dozen width? I imagine from experience. Where'd they derive the one span height? Likewise.

Works. This is all I ever use.

... except when making that vid for beginners... cause these rolling blocks are neither cheap nor easy to find.

Rating - 100%
82   0   0
Well, I gave my first two attempt a try. My first roll had some soft spots, so i ended up
Cutting it in half to get a decent draw. Was still loose, but it smoked ok. Had a decent flavor, mild pepper and some cocoa. Number 2, was well, number 2. I must have used all one kind of filler, it was beyond a pepper bomb, retrohaling was a near death experience.

The flavor of the first, combined with the almost cigar like appearance and good draw of the second will have me trying again for sure!

Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Thanks @Opie and @webmost. Next time I’m near a Home Depot I’ll pick up a piece of tile. I’m about to give it another go and see how I do. I’m watching the video again right now while my wrapper soaks up some moisture. I’ll post a pic of the finished product.

Jody

Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Well, I attempted to roll my second cigar this evening. I’m not sure this one didn’t turn out worse than the first!:nailbiting: I have the most trouble right at the end trying to get the flag right and the head rounded. I’m determined to get this right though. My target was the Last Call and I was more than a little off the mark.o_O Oh well, until next time.
26B812B9-4C41-4C41-A2E1-704058F36576.jpeg

Jody

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Well, I attempted to roll my second cigar this evening. I’m not sure this one didn’t turn out worse than the first!:nailbiting: I have the most trouble right at the end trying to get the flag right and the head rounded. I’m determined to get this right though. My target was the Last Call and I was more than a little off the mark.o_O Oh well, until next time.
View attachment 128112

Jody
Dont be so hard on yourself man. That looks way better than my first rolls. Instead of one at a time, set out and roll a group of four. More practice and experience will help you improve faster, but you're gonna be producing things you are not going to want to set fire to before too long.

Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Every roller hates their own first rolls. Everyone else admires them. Nothing wrong with your second stick that your 22nd won't overcome. That's the truth.
He's so right, I hate how my first 50 look

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Dont be so hard on yourself man. That looks way better than my first rolls. Instead of one at a time, set out and roll a group of four. More practice and experience will help you improve faster, but you're gonna be producing things you are not going to want to set fire to before too long.
Thanks for the advice and encouragement guys, it is much appreciated.

Jody

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
@webmost thank you again! I finally had the time to sit down and give rolling a shot, what a frustrating yet extremely rewarding experience that was. I’m really looking forward to smoking it, the draw came out great
0D491B68-1383-49B8-B7ED-95BA069CA390.jpeg

I’ll make a second attempt soon, I learned a lot from this first one

Hopduro

PhDStogies
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
@webmost thank you again! I finally had the time to sit down and give rolling a shot, what a frustrating yet extremely rewarding experience that was. I’m really looking forward to smoking it, the draw came out great
View attachment 129801

I’ll make a second attempt soon, I learned a lot from this first one

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk