What's new

Looking for a recommendation.

MithShrike

Yerba mate for life.
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Price range ~$10/stick. Lately I enjoyed a nice Toraño Signature Toro from the local B&M. It was marked up to $6.30/stick. I'm going to stop by there today and see what I can smoke. Any recommendations? I'm looking for something at the medium-strong level with a good draw and to last about an hour or so. I'm not fond of spiciness in the wrapper but don't mind it in the binder or filler.

MichiganM

The One, The Only
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
I'd recommend anything Padron.

You can get a smaller 64 like a Principe in that 10 dollar range. Even the Serie 26 #35's are usually right around that.

Padron regular line are great too for a ~$5 range.

AF Short Stories or any Hemingway are ok too. CAO Brazilia are good. I don't care for VSG's much, but they're pretty strong as you seem to indicate you like that and the Tres Mystique aren't bad in price and pretty strong imo.

Greg

BoM October 2006
Rating - 100%
119   0   0
Price range ~$10/stick. Lately I enjoyed a nice Toraño Signature Toro from the local B&M. It was marked up to $6.30/stick. I'm going to stop by there today and see what I can smoke. Any recommendations? I'm looking for something at the medium-strong level with a good draw and to last about an hour or so. I'm not fond of spiciness in the wrapper but don't mind it in the binder or filler.
Getting tired of the Habanos Tores??

MithShrike

Yerba mate for life.
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Getting tired of the Habanos Tores??
Never that. Just no longer within close proximity. I went up there the Friday before XMas and enjoyed a 30 year old oscuro torpedo. Kicked my ass and had me drooling. Wonderful cigar. I'm just looking for a smoke that's decent and I don't have to drive 120 miles for.

Electric Sheep

Dsicle - BoM Dec 06
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
- Tatuaje Brown Label
- Rocky Patel 92
- Fuente Hemingway Classic
- Don Pepin Garcia Blue Label

Those are all worth trying, and should be available in decent sizes under $10/stick.

kirscovitch

Mad Matt
Rating - 100%
51   0   0
if you like the Torano line, i would recommend a Casa Torano
also, the new RP Vin 1999 are tasty, but a little on the mild side.
oh yea, La Aroma De Cuba. medium bodied, leathery and mild spice. my B&M has em for $3.99 for a churchill. good bang for the buck imho

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
El Rico Habano Maduro. The natural is much stronger, the maduro is very nice.

MithShrike

Yerba mate for life.
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for the recommendations. I picked out a Padron Serie 1926 #6, a Tatuaje Brown Label panatella, a Rocky Patel The Edge and a Fuente Hemingway which was a 7x48. Stayed at the store a good while and met some really interesting older fellows.

I lit the Padron first. Construction was interesting as it is square. There was not much pre-light aroma. The flavor was rather uniform throughout and I must say I enjoyed it. Considering how many other people were smoking in the lounge I couldn't get the most accurate flavor profile but it was a decent cigar.

The Tatuaje panatella was rather mild and had an almost sweet aftertaste. Very nice slow burning cigar and it too was decent.

The Rocky Patel sucked. Draw and construction were fine but the flavor seemed like it was just not there. I smoked 2/3 of it hoping the flavor would show up but it just never did. I put it out.

I'm going to smoke the Hemingway tomorrow.

Greg

BoM October 2006
Rating - 100%
119   0   0
Man, you smoked as many cigars as I did today.

You may be blinded by those 30 year old Habanos Tores. If I had a personal cigar roller I'd stick to those.

MithShrike

Yerba mate for life.
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Man, you smoked as many cigars as I did today.

You may be blinded by those 30 year old Habanos Tores. If I had a personal cigar roller I'd stick to those.
Yeah I'm ridiculously spoiled. I have my own blend. I also get to product test sometimes. I'd stick with his too, but driving up the Phoenix area whenever feel like a smoke ain't too convenient. I go when I can.

MithShrike

Yerba mate for life.
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just finished smoking what I could of the Hemingway. The first half was smooth and creamy. A nice slow draw on the perfecto. Very nice until I hit the second half. It got harsh really quick. I purged it thinking that might help but it didn't. The ammonia started to give me a headache and so I put it out. Damned shame.

Rating - 100%
99   0   0
I would recommend that you try one or all of the following.

Tatuaje Brown Label
Don Pepin Blue or Black Label
Gran Habanos Siglo 3
Rocky Patel Olde World

Poni

BoM Oct 05
Rating - 100%
55   0   0
Dang, the one i would have recommended is the RP edge. One of the most flavorful NC's IMO. Possibly it was a bad stick? I would try one more, maybe as the first stick, the others could have effected your tastebuds.

MithShrike

Yerba mate for life.
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I may give The Edge another try. It seems I got two bum sticks from that luck of the draw. Although I did enjoy the Tatuaje Brown the most I think.