What's new

Looking for a wallet friendly smoker…

dscl

BoM October '14
Rating - 100%
68   0   0
There's been a few of these threads, but the last one is about 2 years old so let's get it going again!

I'm looking for a good quality smoker that's easy to use, but won't break the bank either. Ideally it would be big enough to do a few racks of ribs at a time or a whole turkey. Anything bigger would probably be overkill unless you can convince me otherwise.

So back to that ease of use thing… While I don't want to have have a Doctorate in BBQ & Smoking I also don't want to sacrifice flavor for simplicity. From what I've read that means I should probably stay away from electric models. One recommendation I've continually received elsewhere is to do something like a Weber Smokey Mountain and use a 3rd party temp control system with it.

With all that said let me hear it, what all would you recommend?

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I love my Weber smokey mountain. I have the 18.5" and it's served me well for the last 5 years. You get a little extra cooking surface with the 22.5 but it also isn't as efficient with the charcoal as the smaller version.
That said, I also run it with a BBQ guru digi-q and a Maverick 732 thermometer that way I can lay on the couch and monitor the temp. It literally makes it a lazy mans set it and forget it

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Rating - 100%
95   0   0
I've been running a Camp Chef Smoke Vault 24" for several years now... No complaints. They make an 18" too.

Can't have a smoker thread with out pics of smoked goodness

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
If you wait till black Friday or Cyber week you can save big. I got a 42 Masterbuilt with the remote control for like 160 during the sale. They are usually 260 - 300. I bought the cold smoker attachment for it and is a smoke machine. Sometimes I do use a pit to smoke low for the first 3 hours. But 18 hour brisket comes out better in the Masterbuilt than babysitting temp and fire in a regular smoker.

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
We have an electric Masterbuilt and have had it for a few months.

Works great and was under $150 shipped.

Rating - 100%
59   0   0
I've used one of these for several years now. You can put a lot of meat in it as several racks to use. I've done a 15 - 20 pound turkey several times as well as beer can chicken, ribs, boston butts - you name it.
It is gas, but I've found that good for maintaining temp. Get it set and for get about it. 8 to 10 hours uses about a half a tank.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Char-Broil-20-lb-Cylinder-Piezo-Ignition-Gas-Vertical-Smoker-Common-46-46-in-Actual-46-46-in/50329729
Yep. I use two of these.

Almi

Jim
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I've been running a Weber Performer for quite some time. I love it. So versatile. I also really like the rotisserie attachment.
The rotisserie attachment is so awesome. Every Thanksgiving it is the only way I make my bird. I put a tray under the bird and fill with chicken stock to make a nice smoky gravy. The leftovers are used to make pot pies.