What's new

Looking for some suggestions

CAJoe

King Dude
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
I have been smoking a pipe more and more lately and finding out I do not care too much for aromatics but love the taste of straight tobacco. I love strong spicy cigars and am looking for a pipe tobacco that is close to that profile. Anyone know some pipe tobacco that has a full body and full flavor with a spicy zing to it? If not what are your favorite non-aromatics?

SkinsFanLarry

Craft Beer Addict!
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
Spice and full body....what you want to smoke is an "English" blend, something with Latakia and/or Perique.

CAJoe

King Dude
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
Spice and full body....what you want to smoke is an "English" blend, something with Latakia and/or Perique.
I have been told that but I have had some of those that have been pretty weak. I'm looking for names of tins or such to point me to something specific to try.

Soundwave13

BoM Feb 2010
Rating - 100%
143   0   0
Rattray's Hal o the Wynd has got some kick - I've been smoking up an old Escudo tin lately too. I consider both classic & constants of any piper's cellar.

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Yeah, I agree with the Escudo suggestion. I too was looking for something a little stronger, and while I enjoyed Latakia blends, they didn't give me the spicy kick I get from Escudo. I would also try other Virginia/Perique blends like McClelland's Beacon.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I'd start out with some Frog Morton blends, if those aren't strong enough you can always go a different route .... but they're definitely worth a try!!

Edit: Oh, I forgot all about one of my favorites for strengh and some spice .... SG's 1792 flake ... that sounds like it could be up your alley.

Last edited:

Soundwave13

BoM Feb 2010
Rating - 100%
143   0   0
Haven't tried the 1792 - I can never find it!

I do have some FVF/Full Virginia Flake & St James Flake (Which I absolutely love!)... Pick em up if you can find em!!!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a pipe smoker coming over into cigars.

I have several nice blends atm aging for use down the road such as Pure VAs, some VaPers and Oriental blends with Syrian Latakia in them which is becoming harder and harder to find these days since it basically doesnt exist anymore.

If I had to suggest something with a little zing in it i would go with anything that has perique in it.

If you are a virginia person I say try some st james woods or blakeneys best by mcclellands.

If you want a real treat I would say try Three Oaks Syrian, damn fine smoke for the pipe.

Psojka RP,601

This place IS my vacation
Rating - 94.7%
19   1   0
at the shop i work at, we sell Stokyebe's English blend...lots of ZING! i love it.

also, try a good black cavendish...those have some really dark spicy flavors if you get a good blend.

Mcleanen's Symphony is great too

good luck, hope this helps!

CAJoe

King Dude
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
I have been looking for some of the duggestions here but cannot seem to find them at the shops around. I am especially interested in Escudo as others have told me thats a go to tobacco. Lately I have tried these:

Billy Bud - has parts of Maduro leaf in it. Fantastic.
G.L. Pease Cumberland - Another great blend.
Kendall's Black XX Twist - This one is tough to smoke but it is strong. I am still trying to figure out how to smoke a twist.