What's new

Looking to build a smoker!

twenty5

BoM 11/09, 4/10 BoY '10
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
Anyone have any experiance?

Needs to be done on the cheap or maybe I would buy one if the price is right. Not something large enough to do a pig, just a couple racks of ribs, chickens etc... It does not need to be massive, just halfway decent looking and something that will last a couple yrs, not just 1 summer.

Here are a couple options I have looked into:

Option 1 (Basic and cheap but is this really a smoker? Or is it more of a grill??

Option 2 (A bit more serious, more room and a lot better looking)

Option 3 (More of what I was looking for, seems expensive to buy and impossible to build lol)

Any help or stories from your previous builds would be appreciated!

smokingIsh

BoM July '09
Rating - 100%
171   0   0
I have the option three. Picked it up at wally world about 5 years ago. Very heavy duty and well made. I like the option of if you dont have much to grill, you can use the wood box as a tiny grill.

twenty5

BoM 11/09, 4/10 BoY '10
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
Ish,
I didnt know that walmart sold smokers etc... Just looked them up and their pricing is pretty good, better than I expected from looking at lowes / home depot.

Is yours a good size? Seems like it can fit a lot, like I said before I am just looking for enough space to make a meal for 6-8 or so.

twenty5

BoM 11/09, 4/10 BoY '10
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
New options lol:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Char-Broil-American-Gourmet-Charcoal-Smoker/13056699
Char-Broil Smoker
•426 sq. in. of total cooking surface area
•288 primary and 138 warming
•Smoke stack
•Temperature gauge
•Clean-out door for easy ash removal

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Brinkmann-Split-Door-Smoker/10854142
Brinkmann Split-Door Smoker:
•Over 354 square inches of cooking area
•Heavy-duty gauge steel construction
•Four adjustable air vents to control heat and smoke
•Professional temperature gauge
•Locking front doors for easy access to food, water and charcoal pans
•Porcelain-coated cooking grates
•Model: 810-5502-W

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Char-Broil-Offset-Charcoal-Smoker/13056698
Item Description

•Smoke, barbecue, and grill - all in one
•1,280 sq. in. of total cooking surface area
•670 primary, 355 warming & 255 firebox
•Top mounted smoke stack with damper
•Temperature gauge
•2 wheels for easy movement
•Convenient front shelf and storage rack

Anyone familiar with these? I have never seen the box looking one before. Better or worse than the other 2? The third one is a bit more than I wanted to spend but that thing is HUGE! lol

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
The 2nd one does not look like it would double as a grill. The 1st could be used to grill up some burgers and dogs too, if you were not in the mood to wait 4 hours for something to finish smoking.

twenty5

BoM 11/09, 4/10 BoY '10
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
I should also mention that I already have a really nice gas commercial grill, big thing w/ side burners and all. It would be nice to grill every once in awhile over charcoal but the main goal of this baby is smoking for hrs ( while I hopefully smoke Tat A's and Illusione 1's lol)

Rating - 100%
18   0   0
well I have built 2, there are pics of the building process for the second one in the gallery. there are plans on the net for "big baby" smoker. built and wore it out. my best advice is to find one that fits, go a bit bigger and dont bother with something that is not 1/4 inch thick steel. , that said Webber makes a Bullet smoker that alot of people swear by and even us in compation. westlake ace hardare carrys some nice ones. look on line you can find alot. Just depends on what you want to spend.

BigFoot

Jose
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
I have something similar to the #3 just a bit bigger though. I love it, it grills and smokes, lg. capacity holder for big pieces of logs. Jeremy will steer you the right way though, I mean he has to with a name like ribdoctor!!!

theribdoctor

Certifiable.
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Not home but, do you have a prive in mind? Personally for the versatility, I got a char griller, its heavy, holds temp for hours, has lots of options a big following in multiple forums. I have basically the smoking pro, big and have the side firebox. Some look great, and have lots of issues. These ones are built to last.