What's new

Looking to build a smoker!

BigFoot

Jose
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
I saw a bunch of good reviews on this one:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009NU5YY?tag=craiggoldwync-20&link_code=as3&creativeASIN=B0009NU5YY&creative=373489&camp=211189

More than I wanted to spend really but I dont want to just get a piece of crap either...
same one I have. Had it for years, actually given to me by my father who had it for 5+yrs, and Ive had it for 3 now. its awesome, the only downfall is the cover they give/you buy for this thing cant stand up to weather vs. nothing. I do believe the covers are cheap though, the grill is on its second cover and it wont last another season. Good Luck!!!

theribdoctor

Certifiable.
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
same one I have. Had it for years, actually given to me by my father who had it for 5+yrs, and Ive had it for 3 now. its awesome, the only downfall is the cover they give/you buy for this thing cant stand up to weather vs. nothing. I do believe the covers are cheap though, the grill is on its second cover and it wont last another season. Good Luck!!!
its the one I have...you can't go wrong with it.

twenty5

BoM 11/09, 4/10 BoY '10
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
its the one I have...you can't go wrong with it.

Thats the one I am thinking of going with. Is the construction good? I read that it is basically the best of the cheap smokers...

Also is there some sort of seasoning process, I read that somewhere... Could be confusing it with my other vice though lol

theribdoctor

Certifiable.
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Thats the one I am thinking of going with. Is the construction good? I read that it is basically the best of the cheap smokers...

Also is there some sort of seasoning process, I read that somewhere... Could be confusing it with my other vice though lol
the metal is thick, the construction is good, you will need an extra set of hands to put it together, check out lowes and use a 10% coupon...

the seasoning process is simple... put a coat of veg oil, on all parts interior, put a couple chimneys of lit coal in the main chamber, and let it cook until its gone...

remember you need a few things..

mitts, I suggest welders gloves...

you need a charcoal chimney starter or 2...

suggestions...

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Weber-7416-Rapidfire-Chimney-Starter/dp/B000WEOQV8/ref=amb_link_84826571_3?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=hero-quick-promo&pf_rd_r=16KHRRPHBV5DN7PEGH67&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_p=496030351&pf_rd_i=B00004U9VV"]Amazon.com: Weber 7416 Rapidfire Chimney Starter: Patio, Lawn & Garden[/ame]

or

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Steven-Raichlen-Best-Barbecue-Ultimate/dp/B0007ZGUTI/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1269565732&sr=8-5"]Amazon.com: Steven Raichlen Best of Barbecue Ultimate Chimney Charcoal Starter with Handle: Home & Garden[/ame]

long set of tongs...

smoking wood, you will experiment, I suggest apple, hickory, and maybe peach...maple is solid too, wally world sells hickory and mesquite chunks for like 5 bux

ebad has some samplers you can get...just search for smoking wood...

suggest you get good charcoal, stay away from kingsford...yes I know people love that crap, but it's full of chemicals...

I use:

royal oak hardwood charcoal(wally world sells it, it will say made in the usa)

fresh market(which is cowboy lump, so is whole foods and others...)

green egg coal is good too

go with hardwood charcoal, or hardwood charcoal briquettes...

read here for reviews...

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lumpindexpage.htm?bag

you can get a galvanized garbage can to hold your coal...and a scoop...

like this one...
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Steven-Raichlen-Best-Barbecue-SR8012/dp/B0007ZGUJI"]Amazon.com: Steven Raichlen Best of Barbecue Galvanized Charcoal and Ash Can with Lid: Patio, Lawn & Garden[/ame]

long winded, but ask away if any questions.

twenty5

BoM 11/09, 4/10 BoY '10
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
Wow, thanks! The vegetable oil does what exactly?
So I dump the hot coals into the main unit? I was going to ask what a chimney starter was, thanks for the links.

Have you done any mods to yours? I was looking at different things like heat deflectors, different racks, sealing cracks w/ heat proof sealant, extending the chimney to the grill surface, etc etc. I figure I might as well do them when it is new, probably easier that way.

theribdoctor

Certifiable.
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Wow, thanks! The vegetable oil does what exactly?
So I dump the hot coals into the main unit? I was going to ask what a chimney starter was, thanks for the links.

Have you done any mods to yours? I was looking at different things like heat deflectors, different racks, sealing cracks w/ heat proof sealant, extending the chimney to the grill surface, etc etc. I figure I might as well do them when it is new, probably easier that way.
there are 2 sets of racks...there is the charcoal rack and the cooking grates...which are cast iron...(these rust if not treated)...

it seasons/treats...and gets rid of the coating on the inside...you'll see what I mean...

I haven't done any mods yet...I bought it right before thanksgiving and wanted to smoke a turkey...and I did...the mods are great...but it depends on what you use it for...and i'd be wary of the heat proof sealant(is it food safe?) if you extend the chimney to the surface with the duct work...you lose some space...the different bbq forums are great for info and recipes...

if you keep it properly you'll have it for years...

oh the instructions are wonderful and they care about the customer...

theribdoctor

Certifiable.
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Don't go gas, they may be easier, but you'd burn through a tank on a long smoke, with a bag of 7 dollar coal, you can get several long smokes...coal or if you have to, electric like a bradley smoker, but that's cheating.

twenty5

BoM 11/09, 4/10 BoY '10
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
Cheating..... Not too worried about that lol. I would go electric if they weren't $500+!! lol With gas I would be able to keep the unit on my deck (my very clean deck btw lol) and not worry too much about messes etc. Alot of guys were saying you can probably get 30-35hrs out of a tank, which for me might be 3 or 4 smokes.... I am looking at doing this maybe 6 times a yr as of now, dont have the time for much more than that so its not too bad w/ filling the tank a couple times. I dont know, seems like the more I read the more complicated it gets lol. I just need to buy one and be done with it lol

theribdoctor

Certifiable.
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Justin...do what you like, but you will find that the gas smokers are marginally neater than the charcoal smokers...you still will use chips or chunks of wood in either...I think you would enjoy charcoal better. I do, I own a gas grill, a charcoal kettle grill, and my grill/smoker...I think you will like the versatility that the grill/smoker brings...but that is my opinion...

Virgeinadeaux

Virgeinadeaux
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I have the option three. Picked it up at wally world about 5 years ago. Very heavy duty and well made. I like the option of if you dont have much to grill, you can use the wood box as a tiny grill.
I have option 3 also. I love to put Hickory wood in the small section and smoke stakes on the grill side, man that taste great.
:stretchgr