What's new

Looking to buy a drum roaster and need suggestions

pmd

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
A friend of mine has that one and likes it. I've looked into it from time to time but have been happy getting by with my air popper.

thejavaman

BoM December 2012
Rating - 100%
160   0   0
I have a Behmor & I like it. It will not roast a full pound like it says it will (about 3/4 lb max), it has trouble with low wattage, darker roasts (FC+ and beyond) & it has difficulty with "profile" roasting but there are ways to work around some of those issues. If those aren't deal breakers for you, then you'll more than likely love it. Its a humongous step up from a popcorn popper. However, if I had to do it over again, I would've saved up for a Hottop though. There's just not a better home coffee roaster on the market in terms of roast quality & durability....of course, they're about triple the cost of a Behmor though too. ;)

http://www.sweetmarias.com/sweetmarias/coffee-roasters/drum-roasters/hottop-roaster-basic.html

http://www.sweetmarias.com/sweetmarias/coffee-roasters/drum-roasters/hottop-roaster-programmable.html

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I have a Behmor & I like it. It will not roast a full pound (about 3/4 lb max) & it has trouble with low wattage & darker roasts, but there are ways to work around those issues. If those aren't deal breakers for you, then you'll more than like it. Its a humongous step up from a popcorn popper. However, if I had to do it over again, I would've saved up for a Hottop though. There's just not a better home coffee roaster on the market in terms of roast quality & durability....of course, they're about triple the cost of a Behmor though too. ;)
+1 on this. I only roast 1/2 lb at a time in my Behmor, and open the door for a few seconds right after 1st crack to slow the coast into 2nd. Usually, though, I just drag my iRoast 2 out of the cabinet if I want something darker than FC+.

thejavaman

BoM December 2012
Rating - 100%
160   0   0
I have a Behmor & I like it. It will not roast a full pound (about 3/4 lb max) & it has trouble with low wattage & darker roasts, but there are ways to work around those issues. If those aren't deal breakers for you, then you'll more than like it. Its a humongous step up from a popcorn popper. However, if I had to do it over again, I would've saved up for a Hottop though. There's just not a better home coffee roaster on the market in terms of roast quality & durability....of course, they're about triple the cost of a Behmor though too. ;)
+1 on this. I only roast 1/2 lb at a time in my Behmor, and open the door for a few seconds right after 1st crack to slow the coast into 2nd. Usually, though, I just drag my iRoast 2 out of the cabinet if I want something darker than FC+.
Exactly the same thing I do - on both fronts. :)

rabbgp

Savor
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
really appreciate the advice. I like a dark almost french roast, so I am a little hesitant on the Behmor. Think I will investigate the Hottop and the iRoast 2 before making a decision.

thejavaman

BoM December 2012
Rating - 100%
160   0   0
If you can swing it, the Hottop is as close to a commercial roaster as you can get. It's built like a tank & it'll last you a lifetime. Their customer service is top notch too. I know several guys who have one & all of them absolutely love it. The cup quality it produces, precise profiling features & external cooling of the roasted beans put it in a class of its own.

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Love my behmor but I'm about to move up to a more commercial size roaster. For me doing 1 lb batches even on a high wattage outlet just won't make second crack.