What's new

Looking to work on my palate

Kimyounil

They call me Mike.
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Need some help. I'm still fairly new to cigars and don't really have what would be considered a "mature" palate. I know the best way to get a mature palate would be to smoke with more expierenced smokers and review the cigar along with them, but since this is not always an option for me I need to do it one my own. I was wondering if you guys could recommend an ideal chocolate cigar. The idea being that I'd like to smoke something that is really chocolatey to get the idea of what a chocolate flavor from a cigar is like. Also if you guys can recommend some cigars that really coffeeish or very strong in any other flavor that'd be great. Keep in mind that I'm a poor graduate student so the cheaper the better for me. Thanks for the help.

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
i find the punch rothschild double maduro (oscuro) and the regular maduro to both be really chocolatey in my experience.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Royal Jamaica Gold has a really chocolately taste to me, without being a flavored cigar.

I wouldn't worry so much about being able to put names to tastes. That will come in time. Right now just enjoy smoking cigars! If you're worried that your palate isn't mature enough, or that you don't know what flavors to call a cigar, you're missing out on the experience. I've been a part of many herfs and I have yet to hear anyone going into great depths about the flavor profiles of the cigars they're smoking. Usually if someone is curious they'll get a "Yeah, it's a great cigar man. Pick one up!" or something similar. :rofl:

Kimyounil

They call me Mike.
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I wouldn't worry so much about being able to put names to tastes. That will come in time. Right now just enjoy smoking cigars! If you're worried that your palate isn't mature enough, or that you don't know what flavors to call a cigar, you're missing out on the experience. I've been a part of many herfs and I have yet to hear anyone going into great depths about the flavor profiles of the cigars they're smoking. Usually if someone is curious they'll get a "Yeah, it's a great cigar man. Pick one up!" or something similar. :rofl:
I won't disagree with you at all. Most of the cigars I smoke are either on a scale, I'm gonna buy that, that was good, ehh, and that will never be smoked again. But once in awhile I'd like to be able to really analyze a cigar, just for fun.

Rating - 100%
206   0   0
Most maduro cigars seem to provide a spicy / chocolatey flavor.

Bucking this trend ... a cigar I recently smoked that really had a significant chocolate aftertaste was the Rocky Patel Sungrown robusto.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
But once in awhile I'd like to be able to really analyze a cigar, just for fun.
Sounds good! When I really try to analyze a cigar I concentrate on the tastes I get (needless to say). I can detect if it has that grassy taste, or if it's earthy (to me that's when it smells like fresh dirt. Mexican wrappers tend to give me that taste.), peppery (a bit of spice on the tongue), tannic (if it has that ammonia taste to it), or sweet.

Try do your own cigar reviews. This helps to define some of what you're tasting.

Good luck!