What's new

Lost my taste

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Anyone gone through a period where you lost your taste for cigars. I seem to be in a rut where most everything taste the same, heavy spice and pepper. I even went to the B&M bought a couple of fresh stick and the same

cartisdm

Young & Eager
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
I'm not a fan of smoking sticks right from the B&M. To me, they always taste like wet grass. But cigars always taste best when enjoyed with the right mentality. Take a break, find one you really want, then light it up when you have the time to enjoy it properly

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
+1 to cartisdm: even if used to unwind from stress, sometimes the stress will affect the experience. and you have no control over the b&m's conditions, so smoke out of your stash.

also, the rut. smoking too many nicaraguans? switch to ct shade. or cbl. or cc's. i have actually burned a few acids just to shake the routine, and have found that it resets my palate in between smoking trends.

also also, just oput them down for a while. take a week. or a month. you are not enjoying a smoke, wait to burn one until it sounds good again.

Rating - 98%
52   1   0
Yes my advice, like all others, would be to take a break, but dont completely write off smoking and start selling your stash right away, you might regret that down the road when you develop the itch again.

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
What kind of variety have you been smoking, and do you retrohale?

It could be that your tastebuds need a break.

It might be that you're just choosing cigars with a similar profile.

It might also be that your cigars, and those at the B&M are both overly-humidified, and that's why all your getting is harshness.

How often havey ou smoked, what have you smoked, and what are you using for humidification since the "rut" started?

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
You sir have what I call "goat palate"... We all go through it once in a while. Do what everyone one else has said already. Take a couple of weeks & rest your taster! You'll be back to enjoying your stash in no time. :yes:

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
a lot of people have already voiced this, but perhaps look into trying mild or medium bodied cigars. my personal experience as a newer smoker has been mostly fuller bodied smokes to begin with.. kind of writing off milder smokes.

I've found recently, that after my initial enchantment with big heavy smokes, milder cigars are easier to smoke in comparison, and I've since been able to enjoy what they bring to the table as well

Rating - 100%
43   0   0
As the brothers have said you may be overloaded. I suspect you really dig the powerhouse smokes. Mixing in a few Connie wrappers and taking a break will do the trick. Remember variety is the spice of life. I enjoy an Alec Bradley Tempus but if I smoked too many heavy sticks they all seem like one trick ponies after a while. I think the lighter more subtle smokes can force you to search out the flavors a bit more.
Also, maybe cleansing your palate before lighting up may help.
Don't worry you should be back enjoying your smokes in no time.
:tiphat:

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
Taking a break is a good option. Also, if you're really looking to get back into the swing of things... buy a pack of cigs and suffer through a good number of them. Your palate will do cartwheels of joy upon returning to cigars.

LigaPrivadaFanboy

Unrepentant Hoarder
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
As the brothers have said you may be overloaded. I suspect you really dig the powerhouse smokes. Mixing in a few Connie wrappers and taking a break will do the trick. Remember variety is the spice of life. I enjoy an Alec Bradley Tempus but if I smoked too many heavy sticks they all seem like one trick ponies after a while. I think the lighter more subtle smokes can force you to search out the flavors a bit more.
Also, maybe cleansing your palate before lighting up may help.
Don't worry you should be back enjoying your smokes in no time.
:tiphat:
Words of wisdom. My palate burns out frequently from all the heavy sticks, so I usually take 2-3 days off at a time. Surprising how a conny can taste so bold after so much ligero and maduro. What works for me is to not exhaust my palate with food prior to smoking. I can handle the nic kick on an empty stomach and the flavors are much bolder. Thoroughly enojying a MK Ultra right now with nothing but booze in my stomach. I will eat later. Priorities!

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Thanks guys, I plan on taking the week possibly two weeks off and see how that works. I do smoke a variety of sticks, leaning to the heavy side more often.

fuente~fuente, "goat palate" that is a good one.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
When my palate would get "burnt out" I would reach for something totally different, CC, candela wrapper, anything out of my normal rotation. Or you could just take a break for a couple days