What's new

Love panetelas, do not love mild cigars

Skitalets

Laguito No. 2
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
I gave the Davidoff No. 2 a shot today after reading some reviews that said it wasn't as mild as the rest of the Davidoff Classic line. Caught some interesting flavors, but they were very muted. I think these are still too mild for me. Especially since I'm craving the "dirty" flavors of Casitas after smoking one on Saturday. What do you guys think about Davidoffs?

That said, I loved the vitola and need to try more panetelas. The Tat Black petit lancero kind of fits into this category. What other good panetelas are out there that people who like big bold flavors prefer?

danthebugman

BoM Nov '10
Rating - 100%
124   0   0
The Padron x000 line has a Panetela. Also many Lanceros are a tad bigger, but I think a little more widely produced. Along with the Tat you mentioned you might try Oliva V, LFD, My Father No. 4 to start. They should all pack quite a bit more umph and flavor.

Dan

thegoldenmackid

Why Can't I be a Lancero?
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Most of the Panatelas aren't "mild", you just have to get away form the brands that are notoriously mild. The Davidoff Classic No. 2 is a Corona, so I'm not sure what size exactly you are looking for, but there's plenty of small ring gauges that are medium-full/full.

Skitalets

Laguito No. 2
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
Most of the Panatelas aren't "mild", you just have to get away form the brands that are notoriously mild. The Davidoff Classic No. 2 is a Corona, so I'm not sure what size exactly you are looking for, but there's plenty of small ring gauges that are medium-full/full.
Most of the reviews of the No. 2 I saw referred to it as a panetela. I can't really see much consistency in how people use that term.

In any case, 6x38 seems to be a sweet spot for me. That's the exact size of both the Davidoff No. 2 and the Tatuaje PL. I do like lanceros, but the shorter format is just a little better for me.

Will definitely have to check out the Oliva Serie V No. 4s and the Epernay...

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Davidoff is too light for my taste. My all time favorite panetela or laguito sizes has to be Monte Especial No.2. You definitely have to try them if you have the chance.

Skitalets

Laguito No. 2
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
Davidoff is too light for my taste. My all time favorite panetela or laguito sizes has to be Monte Especial No.2. You definitely have to try them if you have the chance.
Ok, those and the Cohiba CEs are definitely on my list for vacation now. Thanks for the rec!

Docbp87

Smoke Into Oblivion
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
:stickbeat

Grand Cru no. 2 is a corona. Classic No. 2 is THE panatela, fool!

Like Aaron said, Cuba makes some fantastic panatelas, and long panatelas, and short panatelas, and everything in between, in a variety of styles. Also, Lanceros are just long panatelas... and there are plenty of "dirty" lanceros out there.

I, personally, dig Davidoff. Even if it is a name, fancy brand, that some people smoke for the band/whatever... I think TABADOM makes some of the best cigars out there.

The JDN Antano lancero has great flavor, and the dark, powerful characteristics I think you are looking for... but it also has a notoriously difficult draw. If you pick up singles... give them a squeeze, and check out the foot for big veins/stem whatever.

The Serie V. No. 4 is a petit corona if I'm not mistaken...

For an inexpensive daily smoke in this size, the Tatuaje Havana VI Victorias is great. For Habanos... the La Gloria Cubana Medaille D'or cigars are AWESOME, and some well aged boxes are pretty easily accessible these days. Get them before they are gone though... Also like the Hoyo Du Gourmet (slim, longer panatela) and Monte Especial No. 2

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
56   0   0
PDR makes the Oscuro and Sun Grown 2 of my favs! Also Rodrigo makes a Lancero which is excellent! Also in my hopefully near future the DE L40 is on my want list. :cbig:

Herfin' Harg

BoM March 2012
Rating - 100%
142   0   0
If the tat black PL size works for you, try the Man O' War puro authentico. And you might as well get a box, they're great little sticks.