What's new

Low Humidity in Humidor

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Guys..

i bought a humidor a few weeks ago, took my time and got distilled water, a new sponge, some drymistat tubes and a digital hygrometer. I watched a lot of videos, read up on seasoning humidors. I did the wipedown a few times, making sure I got the tray and dividers. I left the damp sponge inside for a few days while I went out of town, came back and the RH was in the mid 80s, which I figured was too high.

I took the sponge out, didn't want the wood to warp, left it open for about an hour, RH went down to 79. Left it open for another hour and it went down to 73 RH.

Now, it's hovering at 63-65 RH. Do I just sit back and wait until the drymistat tubes do their job? I realize now that leaving the humidor open for that long wasn't a good idea. I have two Drymistat tubes in there now with about 8 cigars.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll try that..... thanks for your ideas! I got a few Nicks Sticks I can put in the humidor..

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool, I checked on some of the cigars last night, they felt spongy. Took one of the Drymistats out, and it felt better, RH was about 64 this morning...

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I tossed some more in the humidor.. and I moved to an older house. Now the RH is 60 in the morning and 63 in the evening. I added a new Cigar Gel 4oz about a week ago because the RH was 58-59%. I have two drymistats, one 2oz jar of cigar gel and a 4oz in there, and it's 60-63% now. Should I wipe down the interior again?

Oh and my hygrometer is calibrated with the Boveda One-Step Calibration pack. I have 56 cigars in the humidor now.

Last edited:

Clint

Clint
Rating - 100%
206   0   1
Remember that every time you open your humi to fiddle with it, you're going to loose humidity, especially in a smaller unit.

Last edited:

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
Remember that everyone you open your humi to fiddle with it, you're going to loose humidity, especially in a smaller unit.
He meant "every time", I am sure and he is right. In desk top humi, a couple bovedas or 4 oz of heartfelt beads will do the trick. And you won't have to open it every 20 minutes to see what it's doing. You put in 65% (STRONGLY RECOMMEND) and it sits at 65%, no muss no fuss. I know you read 70% somewhere, but 63-66 is the way.

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
No offense brother but with out even looking at a pic I'm guessing you need to upgrade the humi and switch to beads IMO. We see this alot here with guys and newer desktops. If it doesn't stabilize in a week or 2 max, I be looking for a different humi IMO.

Clint

Clint
Rating - 100%
206   0   1
He meant "every time", I am sure and he is right. In desk top humi, a couple bovedas or 4 oz of heartfelt beads will do the trick. And you won't have to open it every 20 minutes to see what it's doing. You put in 65% (STRONGLY RECOMMEND) and it sits at 65%, no muss no fuss. I know you read 70% somewhere, but 63-66 is the way.
Good ole Dave...Always got my back :) (...edited)

ciggy

"TommyBoy"
Rating - 100%
326   0   0
What's a Hygrometer? jkg
Since I went to using Heartfelt Beads (65%) I don't even use one anymore. I keep mine in there in case something went wrong but I don't remember the last time I looked at it.

Last edited: