What's new

LP9 Voluminous Smoke Experiment

JDog

BoM Nov '12 & May '13
Rating - 100%
423   0   0
Great idea for an experiment :)

Here's the original thread for the Steve Saka response if anyone is interested:

http://www.botl.org/community/forums/showthread.php/56775-LP9-question?highlight=lp9+why+they+smoke+so+much

Steve's response is #24. I left some of it off when I pasted it at OLH
Thank you Bro!

I posted the Experiment 1 results! I actually have two Experiment 2 cigars. I'm hoping W.B. can participate in Experiment 2, which means I need 2 more Chicago BOTL to help out with the Experiment 2. This time around W.B. and another BOTL will smoke the Experiment 2 cigars. Please shoot me a PM if you're interested in participating.

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
thanks for the follow through on this, gents! and it's interesting warren noted an oiliness at the burn line; i have always equated that in LP smokes to the crema on a well-pulled espresso. in other words, YUM. o)

JDog

BoM Nov '12 & May '13
Rating - 100%
423   0   0
It's been a month since I posted the first experiment. I just put up the results for second experiment. I mentioned this in the write-up but also want to put it here... I still have an Experiment and untouched No. 9 cigar. If anyone is interested in performing this experiment yourself, please PM me. There are 2 requirements: 1) you need to meet-up with a fellow BOTL to smoke the cigars and 2) post your conclusions within the thread. Pictures would be nice, but are not necessary.

Here's an image of the sticks:

I kept the removed binder and wrapper from the Experiment 2 cigar for you to look at... hopefully two brothers will get to have some fun.

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
Very fun read! So the conclusion is that the bunching method really is the biggest factor, but the quality/specificity of the binder and especially wrapper DO indeed contribute to the overall smoke output of the cigars.

Now that the smoke-volume experiments have been done, I am curious to hear how the Experiments tasted!

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
Would you guys agree that not only are Ligas smoke "heavy" but also blue smoke production orientated and thus lending to the idea of a more noticeable smoke output?

JDog

BoM Nov '12 & May '13
Rating - 100%
423   0   0
Now that the smoke-volume experiments have been done, I am curious to hear how the Experiments tasted!
We purposely didn’t take any notes on the taste profile, trying to keep the review more focused… although here is what I remember. I smoked the Experiment 1 cigar with just the wrapper replaced. It definitely went from a full body to more of medium cigar. To be honest, it was enjoyable. It had a slight honey sweetness with a nutty and a very faint graham cracker flavor. The taste difference between it and a regular No. 9 was truly remarkable. Believe it or not it kind of reminded me of a stronger Jamie Garcia NE Edition Connecticut that you can get at Federal, but not nearly as complex…. And a dash of Liga twang with the candle-like aroma that affects your palate slightly, if you know what I mean... all good.

W.B. would have to comment on the Experiment 2 cigar, but I don't remember him having a glowing opinion of it.

Would you guys agree that not only are Ligas smoke "heavy" but also blue smoke production orientated and thus lending to the idea of a more noticeable smoke output?
That’s an interesting observation. I think the contrast of the really dark wrapper and smoke color does accentuate the appearance of a lot of smoke… what I mean is with the Connecticut wrapper you are not going to visually see the contrast as easily between the wrapper and the smoke. Regardless I think there’s a ton of smoke. Great point man… I wish I would have thought to include that point.

My wife wanted to take a photo of the smoke against a consistent back-drop and then use Photoshop to somehow measure the density of the smoke… that was getting way too technical for my tastes… LOL. My head was spinning but we got a good laugh with the idea.

Tobacco Giant

Conn. Broadleaf Slayer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
My wife wanted to take a photo of the smoke against a consistent back-drop and then use Photoshop to somehow measure the density of the smoke… that was getting way too technical for my tastes… LOL. My head was spinning but we got a good laugh with the idea.
Your wife sounds like a keeper. If I told my fiance I was conducting the experiment you guys did she would just call me an idiot, haha.

Really cool stuff overall, thanks for sharing!