What's new

Made some Cohiba Behike inspired 3D wall art

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been a while since my last post, but I've been inspired making crap in my garage, mainly for myself ( like a big Blackhawks C logo, some Rush Man in the Star from 2112, Folk art style American Flags).

I ended up making a couple of Cohiba Behike inspired wall hangers. Just for clarity, I haven't had a Behike yet, as I'd rather get 1/2 a bundle of knockin' around the garage, building shit, type of cigars over 1 cigar.

So I thought I'd mock up and knock out 2 real quick versions made out of plywood and pallet boards.

enjoy:

stencil i grabbed off the googles and printed off the Cohiba head:

Scroll sawed out 2 heads outta 3/4" ply

I cut the pallet boards to length to fit into a Priority Mail box, roughly 10"x13"

Painted up the back boards black:

Time to make the white boxes:

I don't like the way this background turned out. Why you ask....well things just aren't lined up and overall, looks like crap and not very uniform and well, if I was shelling out a few shekels for something like this, I'd prefer it to be more uniform in nature, like the box.

Protip: I taped off the full border, where it would be black, then I taped things off into a much more uniform pattern with the boxes and got this:

I'm going to sand down the first one shown to get rid of the abortion of a paint job. As I'm reviewing my post, I'm thinking I might do the paint job a bit opposite of the 2nd one shown, and have the outer border be all white boxes, then work inward to get more white boxes, and that's how I'll paint them all up from here on out.

Before I picked the kid up from the last day of skool, I cruised by Michael's craft store to scam on the MILF's who were unfortunately not present at 10am, so I grabbed me some metallic gold paint(2 colors to try and get the closest match) and hit the HD on the way home for more lumber for another project.

Tested the gold paint, and well, the damn wood grain showed through on the test piece, so I had to paint the Cohiba head white, and I was going to paint the sides black anyhow, but I hope by painting the main surface white, the gold is going to really pop, and show no wood grain.

F that metallic gold paint!

That crap dries faster than crazy glue. Had a bit of a learnin curve in using it, but got it down now.

Pretty much done, other than touching up the edges, nailing it down and some glue.

So I was sanding this one down....remember, I didn't like how the white boxes looked.

to re-paint it, and got to this point and said....that looks awesome!

So I sanded down one of the heads to distress it and go with the background and got this:

Side by side comparison of the 2 looks:

Size comparison on the shootin target. Roughly 10"x13"

Thanks for looking.

T

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I like doing stuff like this as well. A quick tip, after you apply the masking tape paint over it in the base color (black), let that dry then paint your top color(white). This will crisp up the lines of the checkerboard pattern.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's amazing. Great work!

Now make me a Liga Privada logo!
I'm thinking the LP is a bit far to "advanced" for my skillz at the current time! Other crap I've knocked out in the past month or so:

28x25 Blackhawks logo:

The Dude Abides!...not finished yet, as I need to work on the side pieces, and paint it up:

City of Chicago flag for a buddy's condo: 40x20

Folk art style American Flag x2. 2nd one I made a smaller star stamp, that looks better.

And the Cubs logo x2. 2nd one has a bigger background. 20x20

and for the Canucks, and other lovers of Rush: The Man in the Star from 2112:

I've also made about 25 or so trophies out some 60+ year old basketball floor from our old high school, and I had some scraps left over, and I made this for a buddy of mine who played HS ball on the floor, His last name starts with a G obviously: