What's new

Maine?

TommyZ

Retired VCR Salesman
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Me and my girlfriend are taking a road trip to Bar Harbor Maine at the end of June. Staying 2 nights at Niagara Falls on our way to break up the drive a bit from Chicago. Does anyone have any good suggestions as for things to do that I might not think about since I've never been? We plan on hiking a lot, whale watching one day, renting kayaks, maybe horseback riding if they have it, Cadillac mountain for the sunrise.

Thanks everyone!

Tom

THEMISCHMAN

SGT Hulka
Rating - 100%
146   0   0
Portland has some cool shops and pubs. The seafood market on the wharf is pretty neat. Kennybunk Port is a nice area too. There is a restaurant named Federal Jacks that is really good, lots of good beer. Lobster rolls, lobster rolls, lobster rolls, I can't stress enough about trying a lobster roll if you haven't before.

TommyZ

Retired VCR Salesman
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Portland has some cool shops, pubs, and some nice shops. The seafood market on the wharf is pretty neat. Kennybunk Port is a nice area too. There is a restaurant named Federal Jacks that is really good, lots of good beer. Lobster rolls, lobster rolls, lobster rolls, I can't stress enough about trying a lobster roll if you haven't before.
I haven't tried one yet, and trust me I have a special savings fun set up just for food :whistle:

TommyZ

Retired VCR Salesman
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
So I'm going through Canada to get to Niagara, what's the deal with bringing cigars across boarders? Just stick it under my seat and don't mention it? I'm planning on getting some cc while in Canada. Just a couple singles to smoke in Maine.

Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Traveling to Maine at that time of year varies by day. Friday is the worst as everyone is coming to Maine for the weekend. Once you get past Boston, which can be slow going, you could get stuck in a long backup at the Turnpike tollplaza. This unfortunately is the only way to get in if you are coming from the south. It gets worse later in the day. Other days of the week are not nearly as bad. Your 12 hour estimate will depend on day and time of travel.

I could give you a list of things to do and see but it depends on how much you want to deviate from your time schedule.
Some include:
Stonewall Kitchens headquarters and cafe in York
Numerous beaches in southern Maine
LL Beans in Freeport, open 24/7 365 days
Too many restaurants to list in Portland
Many, many beer brewers

When you get your tavel route squared away PM me and I will give you many more options.

My best tip is not to order lobster, lobster rolls and fried clams in a restaurant. They are cheaper and better at the roadside shacks. Many mom and pop stores are known locally for their lobster rolls. Google Red's in Wiscasset as an example.

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I'm sure @Dick Leighton will chime in, that's his neck of the woods.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
True, I grew up near Bar Harbor. No place on earth like it!

I definitely recommend Acadia national Park and the shops downtown.

If you get a chance, venture down to Blue Hill. There's a mountain to climb, the ocean, a wine shop/B&M and a brewery. Plus lots of lobster!

Any questions, don't hesitate to reach out.

bballbaby

Nov '08 BoM
Rating - 100%
183   0   0
If I weren't a US citizen, I'd tell you to stock up on Havana Club rum while in Canada. Great rum for mojitos...actually the best rum for mojitos. But it's illegal to bring back into the states from what I'm told.

bballbaby

Nov '08 BoM
Rating - 100%
183   0   0
A friend of mine brought back 4 bottles last time he was up there...I think he just didn't say anything about it and it was fine.

TommyZ

Retired VCR Salesman
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
I'll have to remember to look for some Havana Club. Just booked our hotel in Niagara last night and have the Maine house booked as well. Now trying to figure out a stop from Niagara to Maine for the night. Really want to do Boston, but the hotels are really pricey.

Rating - 100%
56   0   0
I'll have to remember to look for some Havana Club. Just booked our hotel in Niagara last night and have the Maine house booked as well. Now trying to figure out a stop from Niagara to Maine for the night. Really want to do Boston, but the hotels are really pricey.
Hey brother! I'm 45 minutes from the Falls...hit me up when you get a little nearer the date and we can burn one. Eric @8ball too... :cigar: