What's new

Making the old new again: Browning A-5 Magnum 1963

itallushrt

hero
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Summer project is done. Picked up this 1963 Belgium made Browning Auto 5 12 gauge Magnum awhile back for nothing. It was in rough shape with some pitting on the receiver, most springs were original and well worn, missing a few pieces and as usual the forend was cracked. I wanted to use it for this upcoming duck season so I made her new again. It is modified choked 26" non vent rib barrel and while Browning doesn't recommend it I'll still shoot steel through it *hopefully* without problems. Barrel is too thin at the muzzle to consider a screw in choke job. If she bulges she bulges and I'll look for a jap barrel with invector chokes. Until then...

Purchased a new Browning Stalker furniture set for it and replaced every spring in it. Also picked up a complete friction ring set so it cycles 3" loads reliably without bruising me up. A few other parts were also replaced. When I dropped the bolt out of it initially I believe the last cleaning was in 1964. It was bad. I had a KY company do a Cerakote job on all applicable parts in Tungsten Gray darkened up a touch. They did great work for next to nothing.

Like most all Browning A5s of the period she looked exactly like this little sister standard 12 (Belgium 1958) which is my next restore (classic restore on it).

Transformed her into this:

Comparison:

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice. The metal finish is Cerakote, is that like "parkerized"? I enjoyed a 20ga Auto 5 for a while. Very sweet shooting shotguns.