What's new

March 25, 2006 Mahogany's Philly, PA

avid toker

Regulator
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Not sure where in Old City yet......may start at Plough, then head over to Marmont, then to Continental....who knows?

If you wanna smoke and drink cheap beer, go to McGlinchey's. At least you can get good burgers next door at Copa Too when you get hungry.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I hope we all get to group up and pull the city that night. Heather you say..........

vperlman

Harleyrider
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0

vperlman

Harleyrider
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
caudio51 said:
Ah, guess it's a hole in the wall of sorts...
Pretty much. It's a stereotypical, Philadelphia neighborhood bar. It's in an old row house, so the building is probably 15-16 feet wide, 18 max, and less than 100 feet deep. The interior is a bar running down the length of one of the walls and a bunch of bar stools. It probably hasn't been cleaned, painted or even repaired in decades. There are 2 TV's usually tuned to 2 different sports events and a jukebox. It does make for an interesting contrast with the upscale Mahogany!

The crowd is actually surprisingly mixed. Everything from a couple of regular neighborhood old-time boozers to blue collar workers from nearby construction sites to college kids and white collar exec's. The bartenders are usually nice, and the crowd is typically friendly, willing to talk if you want and willing to leave you alone if you don't. I go in occasionally 'cause I work literally around the corner and you can smoke cigars there. Given the difficulty of finding places to light up these days, it is becoming more and more appealing...

avid toker

Regulator
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Paddy's is a total hole in the wall. But like Vperlman said, it's cheap and tehy let you light up a cigar. Not much in the realm of ambience tho :hysterica

Philly has no shortage of spots to hang out at. I've got to head to a party afterwards so won't be able to hang with you fine gents all night.

Should you want a change of venue, Ludwig's on Sansom allows cigars at the bar (neighborhood German joint) and for the more upscale, Smith & Wollensky's isn't far away and the Vault bar at the Ritz-Carlton allows cigar smoking as well. And then there's the ever present strip clubs that allow cigar smoking as well :thumbsup:

Greg

BoM October 2006
Rating - 100%
119   0   0
I'm thinking about coming up, never been, does anyone know of a good hotel where I can stay? I will plan on taking the train from DC.

Thanks,

--Greg

N2Advnture

Loyal to a fault...
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
I'm headed up Friday evening!

The Radisson is nice and only about 3 blocks away
~M

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try one of the search sites like Yahoo Travel or something and search for hotels. You may be able to snag a cheap weekend rate.

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
From what I hear its a smaller place?

I think there are about 25-30 people going??

jcgoldner

Jan '06 BoM
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
Sorry you can't make it Todd, I was looking forward to meeting you in person.

Tom, yes it is a pretty small place. I know this herf started on another board so I hope they tried to reserve one half of the place. 25-30 people would be about full in the room they normally keep for reservations.