What's new

Maryland cigar buyers

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
Just received this email from Holts.
Dear Valued Customers of Maryland,

YOUR STATE LEGISLATORS AND ELECTED OFFICIALS HAVE MADE IT ILLEGAL TO SHIP CIGARS INTO THE STATE OF MARYLAND.

Effective May 1st, 2011, a new law (http://mlis.state.md.us/2010rs/fnotes/bil_0008/hb0088.pdf) became effective, and Holt’s as well as other catalog and internet cigar retailers have been forced to stop serving you. We sell a premium, legal product and comply with each and every law enacted to assure our products are purchased lawfully and only delivered into the hands of adults of lawful age.

Sadly, however, Maryland legislators feel it is within their power to dictate where you can and cannot purchase cigars. We find this law to be UNCONSTITUTIONAL, ANTI-FREEDOM, ANTI-CHOICE AND WHOLLY UNAMERICAN. Since your legislators have eliminated online/catalog cigar sales in Maryland, you will now to be forced to pay more for your cigars and there is no guarantee you will have access to your favorite cigar brands. Furthermore, if you live in a rural area without a cigar store within reasonable traveling distance, you are basically denied access to cigars, period.

As a Maryland resident, YOU SHOULD BE OUTRAGED. Today it’s cigars. Tomorrow it will be something else - perhaps books, pencils or sneakers. Enough is enough. It is time to fight back. We need you to help overturn this ill-conceived piece of legislation!

Here is what we are asking you to do:

The Maryland state Comptroller, Peter Franchot, is a publicly elected official. We urge you to contact him today. Tell him you’re a voter who enjoys cigars, and that the following 2 things are a fact: (1) you believe that this law is an unconstitutional denial of your right to buy legal products across state lines; and (2) THIS IS AN ISSUE UPON WHICH YOU WILL BASE YOUR VOTE!

You can reach Mr. Franchot by calling him at 1-800-552-3941 or emailing him at pfranchot@comp.state.md.us.

Or you can mail him at:
Comptroller of Maryland
80 Calvert Street
P.O. Box 466
Annapolis, MD 21404-0466

We have also attached links below for you to contact your local state Senators and Congressmen. Your voice needs to be heard!

Maryland Senate - http://www.msa.md.gov/msa/mdmanual/05sen/html/sene.html
Maryland House of Representatives - http://www.msa.md.gov/msa/mdmanual/06hse/html/hsee.html

Sincerely,

Holt’s Management
This message was sent by: Holt’s Cigar Company, 12270 Townsend Road, Philadelphia, PA 191549

Is anyone else aware of their state enacting the same legislation?

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I can't believe Maryland is doing this and yes it is anti-American. I do however have a hard time believing it is anything other than a than a reaction to all of us avoiding taxes by purchasing through the mail. They are just going after the revenue. This one, as a Virginian hits way to close to home. Please to let your elected officials know that you will not vote for a person that will restrict freedom in this way just to collect a couple of bucks.

thegoldenmackid

Why Can't I be a Lancero?
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I do however have a hard time believing it is anything other than a than a reaction to all of us avoiding taxes by purchasing through the mail.
Spot on.

As "un-American" as it might be for Maryland to do it, most of us don't adhere to our state laws in regards to online purchases. There are also certain online vendors violating the law and still shipping to Maryland, which isn't going to help the situation or more importantly, the residents of Maryland.

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
Trust me I've sent the appropriate emails to Annapolis. Guess I'm going to have all my stuff shipped to DC......what a pita.

thegoldenmackid

Why Can't I be a Lancero?
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Cigar smokers are not avoiding taxes, they are avoiding ridiculous taxes. When you tax something to death people will find a way around the taxes, if the tax rates were reasonable legislation like this wouldn't exist.
By the same logic, if people didn't avoid something like internet sales tax (see Amazon v. New York) we wouldn't have the one's that were just introduced. Maryland is not the first state to do something like this. This is also not the first time tobacco is being targeted under the (likely correct) premise that as long as you have a credit card or P@yP00 account it doesn't matter how old you are, you can get tobacco.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
By the same logic, if people didn't avoid something like internet sales tax (see Amazon v. New York) we wouldn't have the one's that were just introduced. Maryland is not the first state to do something like this. This is also not the first time tobacco is being targeted under the (likely correct) premise that as long as you have a credit card or P@yP00 account it doesn't matter how old you are, you can get tobacco.
I'm not opposed to internet sales taxes if kept in line with state sales tax.

I didn't think people under 18 could get a credit card without their parents permission.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Which is worse:

Cigar smokers avoiding taxes or Exxon, GE, etc......hmmmm????

Of course an interesting point, but keep in mind that Exxon, GE, etc are not the villains, but rather the politicians are the real villains.

The corporations you mention have lobbyists donate to our politicians which gives them the privilege of writing the tax code specifically for their own benefit.

Mr.Erskine

I am the Walrus
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I just go into PA to get my cigars. I haven't been pulled over and searched, yet. But, then, not everyone has that luxury

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The word on the street is that this Maryland law was pushed by a tobacconist in Cockeysville.

As for myself, it's just another example of the draconian laws drafted by this state in order to harass its citizens. Sad fact is that it doesn't help B&M shops, it just deprives law-abiding citizens of the ability to order rare, unavailable in Maryland cigars.

It's a shame that narrow-minded, customer unfriendly tobacconists think that laws such as these will help their business. Maryland itself is a small state that is bordered by DC, VA, PA & DE - all places with tobacconists without restrictive taxation and all within driving distance.

Afterall, Holt's in Philly is only two hours from Baltimore and DE has no sales tax.

itallushrt

hero
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
This reminds me of a story that a guy in our cigar clubs likes to tell. He works over seas a lot and upon traveling to China a few years ago he stayed in a nice hotel. After checking in he went down to the lobby and sat down. He was greeted by a nice waiter and he ordered a drink. He took out a cigar he brought with him and asked if he could smoke in the lobby. The waiter looked at him funny and said, quite matter of fact like, "Of course you can! This is a free country!".

Sad when communist China is more free than the US. :sadcry:

stephen_hannibal

stephen_hannibal
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this law had an interesting effect on me seeing as I purchase mostly online.
I heard rumors that it was going to kick in so I bought in bulk prior to it taking effect. Anything I want now I'll have reshipped from somewhere/someone else.

What I will not do is go to a b&m now. I will not support laws like these by giving them my tax dollars.

Sent from my BatPhone using Tapatalk