What's new

Mason Dixon Project Southern Edition by Crowned Heads

Cigarth Vader

Official Jedi of BOTL.org
Retailer
Rating - 100%
99   0   0
Just realized we don't have a review up in here yet on this bad boy...and seeing as how @ChefBoyRG54 was kind enough to gift me both a North and South I figured its high time I smoked and reviewed them. The review is also on my website (the North will be in a few more days, haven't smoked it yet). I smoked this a few weeks ago, but with everything that's been going on with holidays, i'm just now transferring all my notes into actual reviews.

The Mason-Dixon Project Southern Edition by Crowned Heads

The Mason-Dixon Project is a limited edition cigar released by Crowned Heads late in 2014 after being announced at this years IPCPR event. The Mason-Dixon Project is a limited edition cigar with only 1,250 boxes of 20 cigars being released; however, Crowned Heads has stated that The Mason-Dixon Project will be a yearly release.

In keeping with the name, Mason-Dixon, two different cigars were created; The Mason-Dixon Project North, which uses a Connecticut Broadleaf wrapper with a Nicaraguan binder and filler; and The Mason-Dixon Project South, using the same Nicaraguan binder and filler, but this time wrapped in an Ecuadorian Connecticut Wrapper.

The cigars are even distributed according to the fabled “Mason-Dixon Line” so that cigar shops get the respective blend based on their location – pretty cool idea. Now that I’ve given you a proper history lesson, let’s get down to business.

Manufacturer: Crowned Heads
Origin: Nicaragua
Factory: My Father Cigars S.A.
Size: 6″ x 52
Strength: Medium/Medium-Full
Vitola: Toro
Wrapper: Ecuadorian Connecticut
Binder: Nicaraguan
Filler: Nicaraguan
Age: 3 weeks rest in Wineador at 65% humidity and dry boxed for 4 hours
MSRP: $9.85/single $197/Box of 20
Cigar Source: Provided to Cigar Jedi
Drink: Institution Ale Imperial Restraint

First off, it’s obvious that a lot of care went into the making of this cigar. The Mason-Dixon Project South’s Ecuadorian wrapper is a slightly splotchy light golden-brown. There is one vein that is visible on the upper portion of the cigar, otherwise it is silky smooth. The fill of the cigar is nearly perfect with no-soft spots, just a slight amount of give, and head of the cigar is nicely finished with a well applied triple-cap.

The foot of the cigar smells of oak and fruit, and after punching the cap, the dry draw reveals more oak, dried fruit, and an almost mineral-like flavor.

The Mason-Dixon Project South lit up quickly with my torch lighter, producing an enormous amount of smoke. The mineral flavor is apparent, but more-so is the oak, and an unexpected pepper that fills the palate.

While enjoying the huge amount of smoke coming from the Mason-Dixon South, the fruit notes from earlier have returned to the forefront, as pepper and a salty-sweet note linger in the background. The long finish reminds me of a toasted marshmallow, and I’m finding that I can’t get enough of this cigar. The body is medium, to medium-full and the strength is slightly below that.

Going into the second third the burn has been relatively good so far, with only one minor mishap with the burn line (which quickly corrected itself). The flavor is complex and smooth through the nuances of fruit, oak, and pepper. The salty-sweet notes have fallen by the wayside, only to be replaced by a toasted nutty finish, and I can’t stop thinking about peanut butter pancakes.

Into the final third of the Mason-Dixon Project South, the flavors remain similar to that of the previous third with the smooth complex flavors with a woody and toasted nuttiness. The finish has taken on an almond cookie crossed with a “Nilla” wafer. It’s absolutely delicious, and is rounded off nicely by a slight peppery-spice that has arisen on the retrohale. Still, the Mason-Dixon Project South hovers right between medium and medium-full on its body and strength.

The Mason-Dixon Project South continues down through the nub with excellent burn and flavors, and I lay it down to rest with about 3/4″ remaining.

Overall, the Mason-Dixon Project South by Crowned Heads is an excellent cigar. Perhaps my favorite from Crowned heads to date. The body of the cigar never goes beyond medium-full, and the strength is right there with it. It’s a smooth, relaxing, and satisfying smoke. I highly enjoyed it, and it’s a cigar that is definitely worthy of at least a fiver purchase. For me, I’ll go ahead and stash away a box of these…I have a feeling they’re only going to get better with age.

Appearance and Construction: 13/15

Flavor Characteristics: 22/25

Burn and Smoking Characteristics: 23/25

Overall Impression: 31/35

Total: 89

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Really well written review, and I loved the photography. The cigar almost seems to glow; truly cool.

Rating - 100%
137   0   0
Nice review and pics.

I found it to be pretty boring but I am a major maduro fan. I'm sure I'll love the North blend.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You got me really stoked to smoke this one. I got a 4 pack sampler off of Cigar Fed that has two of both. I can't wait to read the North review.
Couldn't agree more! Chef sent me one as well and after reading this I think I'm going to have to smoke it today now lol.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Thanks brother! Hopefully I'll get to that one this afternoon and get it posted up in the next couple days :)
I'm smoking it tonight. I have two, so I'll let the other one sit a little longer. I haven't been able to take my mind off of it since reading your review. I thought I had sent it home, but I found it tucked in the bottom of my tuppedor tonight hahaha

Cigarth Vader

Official Jedi of BOTL.org
Retailer
Rating - 100%
99   0   0
Great review CJ. Sounds freaking delicious. I'm surprised the strength is noted at medium/full for a Conny.
Yeah, it surprised me. It was pretty much dead nuts medium, but it ticked towards the medium/full mark after a bit. Didn't really notice it til I was done though and went to stand up lol