MasterCard will no longer support the sales of tobacco products online

xFreebirdx

Patriot Guard Rider
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Personally I don't use Master Card.

Just a heads up!

To our customers,

Please be advised that we have been informed that MasterCard will no longer support the sales of tobacco products online. We encourage our customers using MasterCard for their CigarBoxPA purchases to please begin using a different card if possible. We are accepting Discover, Visa and American Express. We apologize for any inconveniences this may cause and thank you for your cooperation.

Thank you,

CigarBoxPA

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Vendors usually do business with Companys that give them a better deal....MC is one of those Credit Cards who have been making this choice for years now and they feel that they can make a PC statement that doesn't hurt their bottom line...tobacco isn't a huge market where they make a lot of money on as it is.

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I was unable to find anything official regarding this stance by Mastercard, aside from the same CigarBoxPA email circulating. Perhaps there is something specific going on between CigarBox and MC... but I've used MC for 15+ years with the same card, never been denied anything and just made an online purchase a few days ago for cigars.

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I did some searching on this and found this statement: March 2011
Mastercard, at least here in the US, is now requiring any online, phone, or mail order purchase of tobacco products to pay them $1000.00 PER YEAR! I told them to go f themselves." I've heard this from other Vendors who will not accept MC....a lot of places are not going to allow themselves to be abused like this and stopped doing business with MC....

http://www.OutwestTobacco.com.
I also feel that all of our customers should be aware of what is going on, so bear with me and read on.

To our customers who have been using MasterCard to purchase tobacco products from us:

MasterCard has informed us that they will no longer allow us to process transactions using MasterCard
unless we register with them. The catch is that they charge a $1,000.00 annual fee to register.

I feel this is excessive, that it is extortion and I have chosen not to meet their demand.

This is yet another effort from the anti-tobacco movement to deny mature adults a simple pleasure in their life.

This leaves you with a choice of using a different credit card or to pay by check or money order. If you use the
check/money order method of payment we must make the decision to either immediately ship the product and hope the
check clears so we get paid, or to delay shipping for a reasonable time to allow the check to clear the bank and then
ship the product.

Rating - 100%
137   0   0
This is starting to make sense I see a lot of places requiring AM, or Visa instead of MC. oh well, thanks for the extended info cigary!

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hard to believe that a credit card company of all companies would put aside profits to stand up for an ideal.
Whatever, their loss. ; )

Rating - 100%
45   0   0
I promise that the first time I can't pay for cigars, or any other item, Ill cancel my card within 5 minutes.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm surprised that, considering how the card companies would like you to pay for EVERYTHING with a card, that they would take this position. Besides, they ARE the processors. The only reasonable explanation that I can come up with is that tobacco products are considered a high-fraud business. All processors charge fees based on the fraud potential of a business (ask me how I know this). It may be that they have eaten in charges more than they are making in the processing fees.

xFreebirdx

Patriot Guard Rider
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Nice find Cigary. ;)

I did some searching on this and found this statement: March 2011
Mastercard, at least here in the US, is now requiring any online, phone, or mail order purchase of tobacco products to pay them $1000.00 PER YEAR! I told them to go f themselves." I've heard this from other Vendors who will not accept MC....a lot of places are not going to allow themselves to be abused like this and stopped doing business with MC....

http://www.OutwestTobacco.com.
I also feel that all of our customers should be aware of what is going on, so bear with me and read on.

To our customers who have been using MasterCard to purchase tobacco products from us:

MasterCard has informed us that they will no longer allow us to process transactions using MasterCard
unless we register with them. The catch is that they charge a $1,000.00 annual fee to register.

I feel this is excessive, that it is extortion and I have chosen not to meet their demand.

This is yet another effort from the anti-tobacco movement to deny mature adults a simple pleasure in their life.

This leaves you with a choice of using a different credit card or to pay by check or money order. If you use the
check/money order method of payment we must make the decision to either immediately ship the product and hope the
check clears so we get paid, or to delay shipping for a reasonable time to allow the check to clear the bank and then
ship the product.

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
Anyone know how this affects debit/check cards through private banks that have the MC logo on them?

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
Anyone know how this affects debit/check cards through private banks that have the MC logo on them?
If you are ordering online MC is MC. When you go to checkout the MasterCard option won't even be there. I've had this with a few vendors and it really bothers me.
That's extremely frustrating. I'll have to pay attention for that next time I'm ordering something.

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
Mastercard strikes again.... now for a tobacco shop to continue to use Pl@yPl@l online payments made using a Mastercard, retailers must pay ANOTHER $1000 fee in order to continue using.