What's new

MasterCard will no longer support the sales of tobacco products online

MoJo

BoM March 2013
Rating - 100%
192   0   0
Mastercard strikes again.... now for a tobacco shop to continue to use Pl@yPl@l online payments made using a Mastercard, retailers must pay ANOTHER $1000 fee in order to continue using.
Did they even try to give a justification?

MoJo

BoM March 2013
Rating - 100%
192   0   0
Did they even try to give a justification?
Yes, if you want to continue to use MC you must pay $1000 PER YEAR

They also need proof you are in legal compliance every year from an independant attorney.

This is only the beginning unfortunately.....
Nice, so basically the only reason they are doing this is because they want to make more money...glad I rarely use my MC for anything

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Kinda hard for them to make this a matter of principle if the 'problem issue' goes away as long as there's a cool G in your palm when you shake hands.

I don't understand the 'legal compliance' part. Is MC (or the processors) somehow accepting liability in tobacco transactions that isn't there for other types of transactions?

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
All my debits are MC. I guess if I really want the cigars at that website, I'll pull out one of my credit cards, otherwise I'll shop at some other site.

But I will say that when a site airs its dirty laundry by publicizing an issue it has with a service provider, it really just makes them look bad. They can simply say that they cannot accept MasterCard without throwing a hissy fit within earshot of their customers.

Rating - 100%
37   0   0
All my debits are MC. I guess if I really want the cigars at that website, I'll pull out one of my credit cards, otherwise I'll shop at some other site.

But I will say that when a site airs its dirty laundry by publicizing an issue it has with a service provider, it really just makes them look bad. They can simply say that they cannot accept MasterCard without throwing a hissy fit within earshot of their customers.
You don't think it benefits the consumer to know why their debt or credit card is no longer a payment option at their favorite (insert consumer goods) web site?

Cheers :ccool:

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
You don't think it benefits the consumer to know why their debt or credit card is no longer a payment option at their favorite (insert consumer goods) web site?

Cheers :ccool:
Nah, not really my problem. It makes the site/merchant look incompetent or petty, because they can't find a way around it or can't pay the cost/fees/etc. If it's an across the board issue, then no site would accept Mastercard, and I'd have to work around it no matter what. But as it turns out, plenty accept MC, so that site is doing something wrong (or at least acting like they have no other options) and blaming someone else.

CAJoe

King Dude
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
Informing the customer is the right thing to do as it explains to an angry customer why they cannot accept a certain form of payment as well as helps the customer make future decisions when the decide to open a new credit line. Informing a custoer is always better then keeping them in the dark.

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
If a customer is angry, tell them whatever you like, but excuses won't make me happy, especially when plenty of other sites allow MasterCard for tobacco purchases. Knowing that makes me feel like there is something else going on, which means I'll just shop elsewhere and save myself some hassle.

Btw, I'm referring to the rant some small business make when something like this comes up. If they instead say something along the lines of "we're currently experiencing issues accepting MasterCard for tobacco purchases. We apologize for the inconvenience and are working to resolve it." - that's perfectly professional and acceptable.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
Mastercard is simply bowing to the whims of the government and anti-smoking elite. Anyone can reach a point where throwing in the towel is far cheaper than continuing to fight a losing battle. There are other ways to purchase cigars.

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
If a customer is angry, tell them whatever you like, but excuses won't make me happy, especially when plenty of other sites allow MasterCard for tobacco purchases. Knowing that makes me feel like there is something else going on, which means I'll just shop elsewhere and save myself some hassle.

Btw, I'm referring to the rant some small business make when something like this comes up. If they instead say something along the lines of "we're currently experiencing issues accepting MasterCard for tobacco purchases. We apologize for the inconvenience and are working to resolve it." - that's perfectly professional and acceptable.
You're in essence saying you would prefer to be lied to, rather than be given a heads up as to the reasons concerning their inability to accept your chosen form of payment.

Yes, I'm quite sure there are several sites that ponied up the money required to continue accepting MC. Although, the smaller sites really must look at where their money is coming from, and decide if an annual $1k payment makes fiscal sense. If you only made an average of $900 in MC sales over the past 4 years, with the vast majority of your business being Visa, how does it even remotely make fiscal sense to pay $1k for $900 in sales. Also, that's sales, not profit, you may in fact be making an average of $4k in sales via MC, while profiting far less than $1k out of that $4k, meaning you would be paying out of pocket to MC to simply appease customers that are causing you to lose money.

The very large sites I'm sure screamed bloody murder to MC, but still handed over the money because it would cost them FAR more than $1k to lose the MC sales. While some smaller sites may in fact fall into the vortex where most of their sales come from MC, and simply HAD to pay the $1k to stay afloat. I wouldn't be one to point my ignorant finger in either direction concerning this issue though, as we do not have access to their books, and know absolutely nothing about their fiscal abilities/history concerning MC, or any other form of payment.

Allowing us to know the truth behind a certain decision that may in fact impact your choice as to whether you make a purchase with their site seems like a wise choice for those in the business of customer service and support. With this knowledge a customer may be more willing to say, "Well f*** MC, I will still buy from you with my other card, you've always been good to me!", rather than lying or misleading - "You can't even keep your credit card service working? How am I supposed to trust you with giving you ANY of my information? I'm not going to take a chance, sorry."

*shrugs* That's how I see it at least.

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Oh, also, f*** MC. It's either MY money or it's not, if you're saying it's not, then I no longer see a need for my patronage to continue via MC.