What's new

Matador Cigars Grand Opening - Long Island, NY

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Attention to all of my fellow Long Island BOTL's. Just figured I'd put this out there that Matador Cigars is opening cigar lounge #3 in a few short weeks. This one is coming to Hauppauge in Suffolk County (for any of you who are sitting at the computer trying to pronounce, it's "hop-hog" lol). This is open to anyone and everyone regardless if you're on Long Island or not.

Pending my work schedule, since I work while the world sleeps, I'm going to do my best to get there on opening morning and also attend their grand opening party. I've had a bit of intel that there is going to be A LOT of industry reps from the cigar companies in attendance. If any of you can attend, let me know as I'm only a 30 minute drive or so away give or take with the wonderful LI traffic. It would be awesome to put your usernames to faces and finally get to meet a lot of you I speak to on the daily here on BOTL.

So here goes the fun of tagging everyone. If I missed anyone, which I'm sure I did please tag them too! The more the merrier! Hope to see you guys there!!

@cschwalbe @K Williams @OldSkoolTarHeel @wantacigar @loopforever @BraveSmoker @The EVP

844x1500_jpeg_2912dc3512b747c0934c1619434fe248.jpg

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I'm planning on being there for the grand opening party -- probably about 7-7:30pm. I might also try to stop in on opening day, probably around the same time, so we probably won't run into each other that day.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I'm planning on being there for the grand opening party -- probably about 7-7:30pm. I might also try to stop in on opening day, probably around the same time, so we probably won't run into each other that day.
So far I'm in for the party. Hopefully we'll get to meet up again! It's been a while!

Sent from my cellular device via Tap to Talk

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I stopped in to the Massapequa shop last night and got a little more intel on the big event. From what I was told last night is 30 leather seats in total. Jokingly, they said this party would filter to the parking lot but I said it really wouldn't surprise me if it does! I was planning on being there around 4 or 5:00 but after hearing this last night I think I might try to get there even earlier. And also, I don't remember if I mentioned it or not, but if anyone plans on having a few adult beverages it's a BYOB establishment, just like the other 2 lounges. I'm pretty sure they're going to have a ton of food as they usually do for any event they've hosted in the past.

If any of you guys are on Instagram as well, check out their page and the updates they've been teasing us with on the progress of the shop!

Rating - 100%
71   0   0
I can't be there the day they actually open, bowling league night, but I will definitely try to make it that Thursday for the party.

I just looked at the map, and I didn't realize where in Hauppauge this was going to be, awesome, I know right where it is.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I can't be there the day they actually open, bowling league night, but I will definitely try to make it that Thursday for the party.

I just looked at the map, and I didn't realize where in Hauppauge this was going to be, awesome, I know right where it is.
Yeah I was hoping to make it there opening morning but with my work scheduele it's not going to happen for me. I'll be there for the party though just waiting to debate on a time to head over. I have to dig up my BOTL shirt so you guys can find me. I'm a walking billboard.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I wish I could get their earlier to grab a seat, but I doubt I'll make it there before 7pm -- probably standing room only at that point.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
BUMP for my fellow LI BOTL's.....everyone who responded still good to go???
Looks like a decent crowd of people there today for the opening. Can't wait for a much needed night out Thursday!

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I stopped in last night -- very nice. The walk-in is huge compared to Massapequa. However, the seating areas seem a little smaller. When I showed up at 7pm last night, there were a few people there, but by the time I left every seat was filled.

I think Thursday is going to be quite a big turn out. Get there early and don't leave your seat! Hopefully they have folding chairs.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I stopped in last night -- very nice. The walk-in is huge compared to Massapequa. However, the seating areas seem a little smaller. When I showed up at 7pm last night, there were a few people there, but by the time I left every seat was filled.

I think Thursday is going to be quite a big turn out. Get there early and don't leave your seat! Hopefully they have folding chairs.
I might keep some chairs in my truck just in case....I really can't wait to meet up with everyone and have some smokes and laughs.

Sent from my cellular device via Tap to Talk

Rating - 100%
71   0   0
I saw a post on Facebook about the new shop and just wanted to let everyone know ahead of time. Someone walked in and purchased four cigars and was putting them in his travel case and was taking out one he brought with him to smoke, and they told him that they only allow cigars purchased there to be smoked there.

I was planning on bringing my own to smoke, as I'm not a fan of smoking the same day as purchase, but it seems that won't be possible. Just wanted to keep you guys informed.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I saw a post on Facebook about the new shop and just wanted to let everyone know ahead of time. Someone walked in and purchased four cigars and was putting them in his travel case and was taking out one he brought with him to smoke, and they told him that they only allow cigars purchased there to be smoked there.

I was planning on bringing my own to smoke, as I'm not a fan of smoking the same day as purchase, but it seems that won't be possible. Just wanted to keep you guys informed.
Hah. Yes -- the guy's name was Neil. We were sitting next to each other. He showed me the post -- I think he said he had like 40 something replies in an hour or two. Quite the controversy.

Bringing cigars from outside is frowned upon at all the Matador locations. I gifted Chris a bunch of cigars and they actually told him he's not supposed to be keeping them in the locker he's renting there (he's paying a pretty penny for that thing too).

I understand they want to encourage you to buy a cigar if your ass is going to sit in a seat for 2-3 hours there. It's the right thing to do to support the business. But yes -- a lot of people don't smoke their sticks right out of the box. Furthermore, they don't want you smoking sticks that they don't sell in the store.

Buy a few sticks from them, because it's the right thing to do....
Then:
1) Then bring your own of the same brand and label -- with age -- smoke that one instead.
2) Take the label off of something else from home and if anyone asks what it is...make something up.

Rating - 100%
71   0   0
I should have mentioned that I fully intend on purchasing smokes there as well. I simply left that out of my original post. I'm all for supporting local businesses, so I will support them with a purchase.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Matt hit the nail on the head. Yes, it's frowned upon but how would you feel if that was your business and saw the same??? Honestly, I'd be a little upset too. Plus we have to take into consideration that unforunately I believe there's laws in place now that cigars and bars can't be one anymore. Jim's Stogies in Farmingdale is the last of its kind I think since his shop has been grandfathered into it. So he has a real gem of a "cigar bar."

Most of the time at any B&M I always buy a few smokes and either light them up while I'm there, bring them home or if I'm in Massapequa, I'll toss them in my locker.

I'm debating on bringing a pipe or two with me and some of their house tobacco I have at home.

It really shouldn't be such an issue bringing your own smokes but I'd just sneak a few in your libation bag of goodies or jacket.

Also, I have a doctor's appointment on Thursday at noon. My truck will be loaded up so I can head right to Hauppauge afterwards. Hoping to be there around 2ish.

PS- Anyone have a preference on some libations??? I'm going to bring some stuff from home to share with you guys. So we'll probably need a rough head count so if I need more I'll go pick some up.

Last edited: