What's new

meat curing/fermenting

Rating - 100%
74   0   0
I thought there might be a few BOTLs that already do this. Guess not (or maybe they never saw this thread). I'm gonna start this back up in June sometime, so I'll post pics. I hope others will do the same.

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
I was going to really start rocking some fermented sausages but ended up not getting divorced, so I don't have the whole house to myself with no objections to what I do with the space.

So that will have to wait for the next home......

bballbaby

Nov '08 BoM
Rating - 100%
183   0   0
I was going to really start rocking some fermented sausages but ended up not getting divorced, so I don't have the whole house to myself with no objections to what I do with the space.

Sorry to hear that??? Congratulations?? Good luck?? Not sure what the appropriate response is to this post. Lol

Rating - 100%
86   0   0

Yeah.... Congrats..... Or not, lol hope it all works out

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
Got myself a whole bone in goat leg I am trying to decide how I will control humidity and temp in order to dry it properly. It will get salted and herbed with garlic, thyme, juniper, and rosemary likely. It's prosciutto (more specifically Violino di capra) which the literal translation is "cured leg of".

Rating - 100%
74   0   0
Got myself a whole bone in goat leg I am trying to decide how I will control humidity and temp in order to dry it properly. It will get salted and herbed with garlic, thyme, juniper, and rosemary likely. It's prosciutto (more specifically Violino di capra) which the literal translation is "cured leg of".
Yum. Sounds quite tasty. Have you ever done any curing? I suspect that you could follow the process for making ham -- a few days immersed in salt in the fridge, then store it at a temp near 60 with humidity in the 65-70 range until it loses 30% of its weight.

As far how to achieve these conditions, an old fridge works for me. You have to get an external temperature controller to cut power at 60. The humidity can be controlled in much the same way as your humidor -- beads or KL should do the trick. There are other solutions involving a hygrometer and a room humidifier, but they're in elegant at best. Or, maybe you have a basement? Some people are lucky enough to have these conditions in their basement year round.

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
I don't have a basement but my parents do. I will have to check humidity and temp to see how suitable their cellar is for curing. I figure I would want to salt it for about 15-20 days just to be safe. Then keep it cool and humid to dry it out quite a bit. I might start salting it next month to hang starting end of Sept beginning of Oct.

Rating - 100%
74   0   0
I have Ruhlman's books at home -- if you want I can look up the exact recipe for you. The amount of time in the salt is based on weight -- if it's a big one, 15-20 days may well be correct. You'll probably also want some curing salt (can't remember if it's #1 or #2 that's recommended for long cures).

Rating - 100%
59   0   0
This thread is awesome! My bbq-ing led to me curing my own bacon. I've really been interested in charcuterie since a trip to Barcelona a couple of years ago, but haven't had the balls to try it. I don't really have anything to contribute, I just posted to get updates, so keep updating!

whodeeni

the Cigar "Gangsta" ;0(
Rating - 96.4%
149   4   2
Wow, looks great (and big). I have a Weber but it's not much to look at. I'm gonna try to build a cold-smoking chamber at some point, mostly for fish and hot dogs and pastrami, that sort of thing.
Don't have a pic to post but no need to build a chamber for your Weber. On a could morning light up two coals and put a small chunk (preferably fruit wood/Pecan) on top and voila... You're cold smoking! ;)

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
Its damn good. Been eating it slowly the last couple weeks. Has a wilder gamy taste paired up with the "mountain" herb mix. I have plans on doing more, just need to find a cheaper source of legs.