What's new

Media Pass!

The EVP

The Bully
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I'm a big NASCAR fan and my uncle and I go to the fall race every year at Dover. This year, I figured it was worth a shot to contact them and offer them a trade. I left a message explaining that I am a freelance photographer and I'm trying to build my portfolio. I told them that I would do all the post-production work on my photos and give Dover Speedway all rights to the pictures in exchange for a media pass so I can take pictures from places other than my seats. Well, they called me back late last week and told me that they are going to take me up on the offer and will provide me a media pass for the event along with a pit road pass as well. Since I'm going to be shooting for the track, I'm not allowed to wear any clothing or merchandise that endorses any driver or team. But I'm beyond stoked since it's almost impossible to get credentials unless you work for a media outlet. I can't wait to see some of the pictures I get!

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
That is awesome EVP.... hope you get some great shots at the race!

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
That will definitely be a great experience for you... especially getting into the pit!

Just curious though... did you want the media pass mainly because you are a fan and wanted to get places you normally couldn't, or did you want it more for the picture opportunities? If it's the pic opportunities, you do realize you can't do anything with the pictures afterwards without their consent as they will own them right? Or did you word it where you will own the pictures but they can use any/all of them if they want for free? If that's the case... win-win! :)

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
that's awesome. I would think you could add them to your portfolio not sell them or anything like that but still add them to your portfolio is great.

The EVP

The Bully
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
That will definitely be a great experience for you... especially getting into the pit!

Just curious though... did you want the media pass mainly because you are a fan and wanted to get places you normally couldn't, or did you want it more for the picture opportunities? If it's the pic opportunities, you do realize you can't do anything with the pictures afterwards without their consent as they will own them right? Or did you word it where you will own the pictures but they can use any/all of them if they want for free? If that's the case... win-win! :)
I own the pictures but they can use all of them for free.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice!!! I don't watch NASCAR much anymore (Because quite frankly, I think today's NASCAR sucks) but I'm sure that this will be an amazing experience!! I had a pit pass for last Spring's race at Richmond, but suffered a really bad case of food poisoning that weekend and was unable to go? I'm still pissed off about it to this day

Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I own the pictures but they can use all of them for free.
That's a pretty good deal I'd say.

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I am going to offer 2 perspectives on this.

First on a personal level: This is a great opportunity for you to come away with some good images and build your portfolio. Congrats on it and I am sure you will do great. Hope you enjoy it.

Second on a professional level (and this is not directed at you personally just a blanket statement): As a working member of the media, not a still photographer but a news videographer at a local tv station, I don't like people giving their work away for free. It cheapens the profession and the product. If you are willing to do this work for the track for free and you do a good job, they may think next year "What do we need to pay a professional for? That guy last year did good, and did it for free." And someone loses their paid gig. And since you did it for free the year before, they are going to expect the same agreement again. Same goes for weddings, if a family member or friend offers to take wedding photos for free, that takes away a paid gig for someone else.

Sorry for the buzzkill, just my opinion.

Rating - 100%
69   0   0
Its all good I am on par with ya Rac. Happens all the time time in the wedding industry.

Also before you go, I would recommend going out and practicing your panning, other wise you might be missing a lot of good shots as you try to get it down at the track.

The EVP

The Bully
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I am going to offer 2 perspectives on this.

First on a personal level: This is a great opportunity for you to come away with some good images and build your portfolio. Congrats on it and I am sure you will do great. Hope you enjoy it.

Second on a professional level (and this is not directed at you personally just a blanket statement): As a working member of the media, not a still photographer but a news videographer at a local tv station, I don't like people giving their work away for free. It cheapens the profession and the product. If you are willing to do this work for the track for free and you do a good job, they may think next year "What do we need to pay a professional for? That guy last year did good, and did it for free." And someone loses their paid gig. And since you did it for free the year before, they are going to expect the same agreement again. Same goes for weddings, if a family member or friend offers to take wedding photos for free, that takes away a paid gig for someone else.

Sorry for the buzzkill, just my opinion.
You make a very valid point and I can see your side of the argument. I thought about that too and here's my reasoning for doing it free this year.....to get my foot in the door. Maybe it leads to something, maybe it doesn't. But I'm willing to take that chance. It allows me to add to my portfolio of published pictures if they use them. I'm certainly not trying to put anyone on the unemployment line nor am I after anyone's job but I am trying to make a name for myself and until I can get a job as a staff photographer somewhere, I need to make all the contacts that I can however I can do it.

As far as the other work for free (radio stations), they don't have a staff photographer (never have and never will) and usually just grab an intern, hand them a camera and say, "Here, take some pictures." Since my wife works there and I have the time now since I'm not working, I offer to do the pictures. She's getting someone that knows a bit about what they are doing and doesn't rely on AUTO mode and the listeners are getting a great photo of a once-in-a-lifetime experience (for the most part). I'm getting experience and publish rights along with byline credits. It's a fair trade off that hopefully will pay off down the road. Like I said, I'm not trying to put anyone out of work but I am trying to market myself and gain enough experience to where I can start charging (or land a job as a staff photographer somewhere). If that gives me an advantage because I'm willing to prove myself first and they remember me when they want their next work done and are willing to pay for it, then so be it.

The EVP

The Bully
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Its all good I am on par with ya Rac. Happens all the time time in the wedding industry.

Also before you go, I would recommend going out and practicing your panning, other wise you might be missing a lot of good shots as you try to get it down at the track.
Yup...been working on that.

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Staff photographer jobs seem to be getting less and less EVP. There are still some, but it seems like everyone thinks they are a professional now with a DSLR. Freelancing may be a good way to go and get a few paid gigs to get your foot in the door. Get to know people and hopefully an opportunity will open up for you.

Good luck and have fun at the race.

The EVP

The Bully
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Staff photographer jobs seem to be getting less and less EVP. There are still some, but it seems like everyone thinks they are a professional now with a DSLR. Freelancing may be a good way to go and get a few paid gigs to get your foot in the door. Get to know people and hopefully an opportunity will open up for you.

Good luck and have fun at the race.
What's sad is that because of the AUTO feature on the camera, everyone does think they are a pro. While I don't regard myself as a pro (far from it), I do think I take some pretty good pictures. Most people with a DSLR have no idea about things like aperture, lighting, shutter speed, etc. and how changing those affects the picture. They just stick the thing on auto and never turn the dial not realizing how much better their pictures could be with just a little bit of knowledge. Even learning a few tricks in lightroom, picasa or elements could drastically improve their picture. They get so focused on the megapixels and don't realize that having a high MP count doesn't mean squat if you don't know how to use it, not to mention that it's the sensor and lens that does most of the work.

AbeFroman

Big Gulps, huh?
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Try finding a presswire to shoot for. People will scoff at spec shooting but if you're starting out and want to network, then it's a great opportunity. A lot better option than offering your services for free, which I'm very against. If I were you, I'd just be very careful because if you contact them again and try to get paid the next time you're shooting, they may be quick to pass on you since you want to be paid for what you're offering instead of getting it for free.