What's new

Meerschaum Pipe Question

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Another Meersham question. I got this off the bay and realized it has a crack on the liner. Is it smokeable as is, or does it need repair?
First I want to say I am no way an Expert. I don't have a Lined Pipe and have had thought in the past of them really being a great starter pipe. (A pipe that needs no Break in) Then over the years I thought I would get one and add to my collection. All the ones i have seen I was to late or it was not a pipe I thought i would like in the end.

Back to your question. About 10 years ago I was over at a friends that had a pipe in worse shape then that. He smoked it often before it was just so bad that he thought it was time to repair it before the whole liner came out. At that time it was just a small chunk and 4 or 5 cracks in the rest of the liner. 2 or 3 on the rim of the meer. Anyway the only thing he could do was use some plaster of Paris mixed and packed the area that was broke out and used a couple of tooth picks to pack the other cracks. Smoothed it out and let it dry for a week. later he called and said the repair we did was good. I was like we? I didn't do anything but mix the mix.

I haven't seen him since I left WA 6 year ago but last I knew it was still smoking well. It didn't look as good as new.

Me I would just think about what it cost you and if it wasn't to far out in left field I would smoke it and enjoy as long as i could.

James

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
josh, i have seen plaster-like compounds used to fix mere before, but if that crack is it, and it isnt loosening itself from the briar, then i would say just smoke it. wipe it out after every smoke; most don't want cake build up in a meer, but especially with the chance of widening that crack, keep it clean. it should be fine.

if it was cosmetic, or structural, fix it. that looks like something that shouldn't bother you one bit.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So how does one go about cleaning a Meer? I have an estate meer on the way and have no idea how to clean the bowl.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Honestly hardest thing you can do is clean an estate meerschaum. In most cases or with any luck the old owner took good care of their pipe. If however there is a thick cake in the bowl (any cake if it was mine) first it needs to be removed ASAP being careful not to nick or ding the meerschaum bowl slowly remove the cake with a sharp edged blunt tipped knife. One of the problems is the meer will come off faster then cake so be careful and stay away from that area. (Where you are already down to the meer ) I will admit the next part is a don't do. (Right after smoking your meer.) however after reaming down I do take alcohol and clean down to meer bowl with out any layer of carbon left. When I would clean my pipes I keep it so no layer forms however looking in my IMP I have been abusing it by not giving it the attention it needs however I will clean it today, last thing I want to do is crack that pipe, it don't really look like cake however looks like soft gel tars build up some cake. Don't use alcohol on the outside of your meer and don't use pipe sweetener in your meer. It will make the pipes natural absorption stop. Hope this helps. Main reason you don't want cake in your meer is because the cake expands and contracts faster then meer can. Just like shouldn't smoke it and go out in the freezing air it can crack the meer.

Love to see before and after pictures

James

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks James. I'll snap a few before and after pics when it arrives so you can all see me muck it up lol. Can I use Alcohol or Everclear on the inside of the bowl or is my only option for removing cake scraping?

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Well truth be told you don't want to use either. However I do and haven't had any issues. Everywhere I have read they say don't use alcohol! However I think it was meant not to use right after smoking. Years ago talking with a older man than I, that smoked meers for over 50 years said ever clear is better the denatured what I was using but said other then my alcohol type I had good practice. One of the things he said was once you get an estate scrape it clean it with alcohol to meer, your not really done. It will take a few re cleans after smoking waiting a day and clean again with alcohol maybe 3 or 4 times doing this after smoking your meer. Also if the shank is badly caked (don't drill it. ) use the alcohol of your choice and a shank brush and spend time clearing it out. Remember a clean bowl and a dirty shank can pass on nasty taste. Even true for briars. Time time time it will get clean. Best part of it is you get to enjoy the pipe for years to come,

I don't claim my way is the only way just what works for me and others of my past.

Ps. Don't do a retort or salt treatment on a meer

Hope this helps
James

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
alcohol, VERY fine steel wool (000), a ton of pipe cleaners and Qtips, and some patience will clean a meer. DON'T soak it, DON'T water-log it 9or alcohol-log?), and always have a clean rag ready to wipe down after. then a LOT of bee's wax and heat.

ALSO, james: you already have a meer? o(

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
@javajunkie Yes I have 4 Meerschaum pipes, One of them not in the picture is in my office and really isn't anything special. Just a Lattice 6" bent apple. Then the oldest one that I have is my IMP pictured with Silver 925 rim, then the Mini Indian for a 20 to 30 min smoke and then also Native in theme is the Buffalo head. I have them in a thread somewhere but don't remember where so I took another picture just now to put here. Also in this Post I have 2 picture of the before and after cleaning of the IMP @JustTroItIn You can't really tell but I did the best I could for the picture to show the clean meer after. I still could have taken it down little more but ran out of Paper Towels lol.... I would use maybe 5 more sheets of paper towel before I would be total happy.

James

This is before reaming and cleaning the bowl of my IMP

This picture is the best I could get with my POS iPhone because of the reflective properties of the Silver Ring on the rim.

added a different picture to show reamed out bowl better I think At the view I had it looked like a cake but was a Reflection.

Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not done yet but I'm making progress. This is about 3 hours worth of scrubbing. I did have to bring out the reamer and it worked well as long as I worked slow and made very small adjustments.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is where I'm going to stop and call it clean. I'm starting to get too much meer dust while trying to get the last bit of cake off the bottom of the bowl.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is how the final product turned out. I would still like to get some beeswax for the outside of the bowl but for now I'm content. From the smell of the pipe I could tell it had been used to smoke aromatics. I'm smoking my first bowl from it now, some S&G Squadron Leader, and the cleaning has done its job as I don't taste any type of ghost. This is my first time smoking a meer and I'm quite happy I picked it up as this bowl of SL is quite smooth.