What's new

Michael Phelps = Superman!!!

Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Well Phelps pulled off the all time olympic record just outstanding and the fact that he is an American makes it that much sweeter. I think and please comment but Phelps has made it to possibly one of the top 10 athletes of all time?

bballbaby

Nov '08 BoM
Rating - 100%
183   0   0
In terms of achievement, i'd put him way way up there...Top 3.

Michael Jordan was great, but not Top 3. Several people have won as many NBA titles as he. Sure, he's easily the best player the NBA has ever seen, but his achievements aren't as great as Phelps. Jordan had numerous opportunities to do what he did...Phelps only has the Olympics every 4 years and this time he went 8 for 8...that's 100%...PERFECTION

Jack Nicklaus was great, but again, he had numerous opportunities to get his records. Jack did play in a time when the competition was better as a whole, IMO.

The Olympic swimmers career is short lived and you must capatalize on the chnaces you have, like phelps did. There were only 2 races he hasn't gotten gold in, and he got bronze and silver in those!

I'm trying hard to think of other ATHELETES that have done something comparable to what he did and i'm having trouble. Bobby Jones maybe...golf's Grand Slam. That's a super tough achievement, but not quite as tough as Phelps IMO. Mary Lou Retton certainly rose to the occasion, but that was only one occassion so it's tough to consider just one single vault. Roger Federer has certainly been pretty amazing.

I don't know enough about pro football to make any knowledgable comments on any of the greats, but i'd have to say that again, they had numerous opporutnities to do whatever it is that they did.

Dare i say it, but Phelps may just be the greatest.

Rating - 100%
57   0   0

Michael Jordan was great, but not Top 3. Several people have won as many NBA titles as he. Sure, he's easily the best player the NBA has ever seen, but his achievements aren't as great as Phelps. Jordan had numerous opportunities to do what he did...Phelps only has the Olympics every 4 years and this time he went 8 for 8...that's 100%...PERFECTION

Jack Nicklaus was great, but again, he had numerous opportunities to get his records. Jack did play in a time when the competition was better as a whole, IMO.

The Olympic swimmers career is short lived and you must capatalize on the chnaces you have, like phelps did. There were only 2 races he hasn't gotten gold in, and he got bronze and silver in those!

I'm trying hard to think of other ATHELETES that have done something comparable to what he did and i'm having trouble. Bobby Jones maybe...golf's Grand Slam. That's a super tough achievement, but not quite as tough as Phelps IMO. Mary Lou Retton certainly rose to the occasion, but that was only one occassion so it's tough to consider just one single vault. Roger Federer has certainly been pretty amazing.

I don't know enough about pro football to make any knowledgable comments on any of the greats, but i'd have to say that again, they had numerous opporutnities to do whatever it is that they did.

I don't know but he is definitely up there... Tiger Woods is unreal I mean 4 majors in a row. Like you said though the olympics are only once ever 4yrs and he pulled off something that seemed impossible.

bballbaby

Nov '08 BoM
Rating - 100%
183   0   0
yeah, i would put Tiger in the Top 5 without a doubt, and quite honesty, without being able to say exactly who the top 3 are, i wuld say h'e definitely one of them. He's the kind of guy that changes everything about his sport by just being there.

ALthough, Tiger is probably more appropriately put into a different category. Something like People Who Change the Face of Sports Completely and Revolutionize Said Sports category.

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
how he won this is beyond me.
So that is Phelps on the left. You can see that his hands are out of the water meaning he just go finished with stroke that moves him forward. The swimmer on the right must have stopped swimming too early and was slowing down by the time Phelps got there.

where diid you find that picture?

Greg

BoM October 2006
Rating - 100%
119   0   0

Marciano went 49 for 49, but Ali was The Greatest.

Last edited:

bballbaby

Nov '08 BoM
Rating - 100%
183   0   0
i believe it could be referred to as "running through the tape." But to explain it in much more technical terms, i'd have to say, "Holy f#ck!!! That jacka$$ on the right totally f#cked it up and Michael Phelps is a total f#ckin' bad a$$!!!! USA Rawks!""

bballbaby

Nov '08 BoM
Rating - 100%
183   0   0
Sorry, that would be Rocky Marciano...and his record was 49-0, not 50-0.
Regardless, very impressive. Just did some research on him. 49-0 woudl be extremely difficult...everyone you went up against trying to be The One. I would consider this a contender for the purposes of this thread.

Do i smell a poll coming on?!?!

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
So that is Phelps on the left. You can see that his hands are out of the water meaning he just go finished with stroke that moves him forward. The swimmer on the right must have stopped swimming too early and was slowing down by the time Phelps got there.

where diid you find that picture?

what you see is the end of a 'half' stroke that he said he took. as first he thought that extra move cost him the race but afterwards he said maybe it won it for him.

pic from CNN - frame by frame. others show him even farther behind.