What's new

Michael Phelps = Superman!!!

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
the Serbian team did file an official protest regarding the finish, but FINA slowed the video to the 10,000th of a second to make sure Phelps actually touched first. The Serbian team was able to view this footage and FINA executive director Cornel Marculescu said that the Serbian team “was very satisfied and they agree with the referee.”

http://www.swimnetwork.com/blogs/blog/20080815/phelps_wins_seventh_gold_in_photo_finish-1176.html
yes.

if ya get a chance, watch it in real time. right to the last second you know he lost. the record of 7 will not be beat.

just as you are about to watch the other guy win, suddenly he looks like he stopped in mid water and Phelps' hands went past him.

to be honest, i thought it was fake. he couldn't win from there. but after seeing it in super slow mo - wow. he is a freak of nature and it is his destiny to win 8 medals.

Greg

BoM October 2006
Rating - 100%
119   0   0
While Phelps' accomplishments are extraordinary, I wouldn't put him above Jim Thorpe, Carl Lewis, Bruce Jenner, Alexander Karelin or Teofilo Stevenson. But he is certainly on that list.

Rating - 100%
57   0   0
While Phelps' accomplishments are extraordinary, I wouldn't put him above Jim Thorpe, Carl Lewis, Bruce Jenner, Alexander Karelin or Teofilo Stevenson. But he is certainly on that list.
Why wouldn't you put him above those athletes?

For those athletes times they were great without a doubt in my mind. But here is my view: With Sport and science and training these days athletes are able to do much greater feats. I mean every year that goes by these athletes get more and more faster and stronger and amazing just by training and understanding the human body more through science. For example when Michael Johnson or Carl Lewis or Michael Green would run, crap they were fast and after seeing Bolt run and set the world record and make it look like he could turn around an beat his time because he shut down his engine before the race was finished. Yes natural atleticism is one thing but training is another you take a gifted runner/swimmer and then train him like in chariots of fire well then you have a super specimen of an athlete i.e. Michael Phelps. If Jim Thorpe or any of the others had Phelps' training well maybe Phelps woulda never beat Spitz. The truth is Phelps swims more strokes than Spitz could and broke the all time record and will be back to add to his medal total in London. Phelps is at the top of the food chain as far as athletes go and not one of the ones mentioned above have as many gold in one olympics as Phelps has and for that he must be ranked higher?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that's what fredneck is trying to say. Those mentioned above did it all on talent. They didn't have all of the scientific training that athletes get now. They accomplished their feats without all the advantages that Phelps had.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not saying that what Phelps did isn't extraordinary or one of the best. But all things equal it would be tough to put him at the top.

Greg

BoM October 2006
Rating - 100%
119   0   0
Why wouldn't you put him above those athletes?

For those athletes times they were great without a doubt in my mind. But here is my view: With Sport and science and training these days athletes are able to do much greater feats. I mean every year that goes by these athletes get more and more faster and stronger and amazing just by training and understanding the human body more through science. For example when Michael Johnson or Carl Lewis or Michael Green would run, crap they were fast and after seeing Bolt run and set the world record and make it look like he could turn around an beat his time because he shut down his engine before the race was finished. Yes natural atleticism is one thing but training is another you take a gifted runner/swimmer and then train him like in chariots of fire well then you have a super specimen of an athlete i.e. Michael Phelps. If Jim Thorpe or any of the others had Phelps' training well maybe Phelps woulda never beat Spitz. The truth is Phelps swims more strokes than Spitz could and broke the all time record and will be back to add to his medal total in London. Phelps is at the top of the food chain as far as athletes go and not one of the ones mentioned above have as many gold in one olympics as Phelps has and for that he must be ranked higher?
First of all, Carl Lewis wasn't JUST a runner, he had gold in the long jump as well. Bruce Jenner set the world record in the Decathalon, which, athletically can be argued as the hardest medal to achieve. Thorpe medaled in the Decathalon AND Pentathalon. Karelin is only considered the greatest wrestler, EVER, and had gold in three olympics and a silver in the fourth. Stevenson medaled is THREE olympics as well, and absolutely dominated the heavyweight division. Also, there is only one event for boxers and wrestlers, so you can't compare medal totals.

Is Phelps great, even the greatest swimmer ever. In my mind, yes, but he's on the same list as the olympians I listed.

Now, olympians versus everyday athletes like baseball, football and basketball players, well that's another argument.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I think that's what fredneck is trying to say. Those mentioned above did it all on talent. They didn't have all of the scientific training that athletes get now. They accomplished their feats without all the advantages that Phelps had.
Actually what Fredneck is saying is that these super athletes don't have the same oportunities as a swimmer and yes that is true. But what I stated was that Phelps is like a Thorpe all the way but by todays standards he is even better because not only does he have the natural gift but he gets the amazing training on top of it! Now if Thorpe was around today then he also would be getting the same amazing training an God only knows what he could do. What we are seeing is a Thorpe/Phelps with amazing training. Phelps is the greatest olympian/athlete right now until who knows, genes catch up with science and then let science push that super athlete to the next amazing level. When will we see the fastest man win the 100m, 400m, 1500 and so on in the same olympics? Now that would have to be the greatest athlete ever?

Greg

BoM October 2006
Rating - 100%
119   0   0
Actually what Fredneck is saying is that these super athletes don't have the same oportunities as a swimmer and yes that is true. But what I stated was that Phelps is like a Thorpe all the way but by todays standards he is even better because not only does he have the natural gift but he gets the amazing training on top of it! Now if Thorpe was around today then he also would be getting the same amazing training an God only knows what he could do. What we are seeing is a Thorpe/Phelps with amazing training. Phelps is the greatest olympian/athlete right now until who knows, genes catch up with science and then let science push that super athlete to the next amazing level. When will we see the fastest man win the 100m, 400m, 1500 and so on in the same olympics? Now that would have to be the greatest athlete ever?
Well....that's not exactly what I said, but you do have a point. One that I may agree with, too.

What I was saying is that yes, Phelps is great, but not greater than the athletes that I listed, you just can't convince me otherwise, or that Phelps is a greater Olympian (not now, at least). OK, I'll give you Bruce Jenner....:grin:

Boppa-Wasch

BoM March '07
Rating - 100%
65   0   0
how he won this is beyond me.
By the picture you can see that there is still thrust wake coming off Phelps' feet and not on the other guy. Phelps was thrusting into the wall and the other guy was just gliding. Guess that's a good example of never relaxing or giving up.