What's new

Michelada- Redneck style

redneck_toy

Fuente Fanboy
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
So, you've decided you want to try a michelada (pronounced MEESH-a-la-da), or would like to try a GOOD one? You're definitely in the right thread. What exactly IS a michelada? It's a Mexican style Bloody Mary made with beer, or spicy red beer, etc. that is phenominal on a hot afternoon. Being from Texas, Tex-Mex food and libations are a big part of our culture. I've been drinking micheladas for the past ten years at various restaurants in and around Amarillo, and went on a lengthy quest to find a recipe that is easy to make at home. This is, IMO, the best recipe I have ever tried.
INGREDIENTS:
Here are the things you need to gather up

Mexican style lager. (Dos Equis is my preferred beer, but any lager will work fine)
Worcestershire sauce
Soy sauce
Cholula hot sauce. ( needs to be Cholula. Tapatio can work in a pinch. Not as good)
Margarita salt.
Fresh limes
Pepper
Clamato
Ice
Large glass or mug. 28 ounces at least. Do NOT use a Yeti cup. The SS interacts with tomato juice and makes it taste metallic. Not good.
DIRECTIONS
salt rim of glass/ mug
Squeeze one medium lime into glass
3 shakes of Worcestershire sauce
2 shakes of soy sauce
5-6 shakes of Cholula hot sauce. I use 6
Couple shakes of black pepper.
At this point, you'll have a concoction that looks like this in the glass:

Next step is to pour in one 12 Oz beer. Tilt the mug, and go pretty slow, pouring against the side of the glass to minimize foaming. At this point, I add a double handful of ice cubes gently. Sounds weird, I know, but trust me. Most restaurants fill the mug 2/3 full of ice before mixing starts. I use a little less. At this point, you'll have something that should resemble this:

The last three or so inches in the glass, top off with Clamato. Not sure of the measurement, but I'd guess 3 to 1 beer and Clamato. Stir gently.

Sit back and relax. Drink up. Enjoy.
I love these things. One word of advice: this makes close to a 30 Oz drink. More than one or two, will kill your appetite.
There a a ton of variations to these. You can substitute Camaranazo (shrimp and tomato cocktail) for Clamato if you'd like, and can find it. I've tried a lot through the years. I settled on the above recipe a few years back.
Post up after you try one, if youre so inclined. I'd like to hear your opinion.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What part of Texas are you in? Lol im im Houston and i would use louisiana hot sauce and zing zang mix. All in all great recipe ill need to give it a shot.

Sent from my N9132 using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I love a good michelada but I spend most of my time perfecting my bloody mary recipe.

Sent from my N9132 using Tapatalk

redneck_toy

Fuente Fanboy
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Faaaaaaancy.

In Tijuana it is usually just Clamato, Tecate, Tajin & salt on the rim, and some lime.
Yeah, I've had some like that as well. A quick search on the net shows hundreds of different recipes. I'm sure a lot of it is regional.
I can't take credit for this recipe. A local tex-mex restaurant makes them like this, and after buying at least 30 of them over the past few years, finally talked the bartender into spilling the beans. He got a good tip that day.

sean

BoM June 13
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
Yeah, I've had some like that as well. A quick search on the net shows hundreds of different recipes. I'm sure a lot of it is regional.
I can't take credit for this recipe. A local tex-mex restaurant makes them like this, and after buying at least 30 of them over the past few years, finally talked the bartender into spilling the beans. He got a good tip that day.
Yeah micheladas are like opinions and a-holes: everyone has got one, and they all taste a little different... wait that came out wrong.

At Casa de Flipflop (my house) i do 45%beer, 45% clamato, 9.5% reposado tequila, 0.5% lime juice. Salt the rim (maybe).