What's new

Microsoft Windows 10 - Your Thoughts?

atllogix

It's not @ Logix
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
Just wanted to know what others think about the new Windows 10 OS from Microsoft. Doesn't matter if you're a tech geek, or barely PC literate enough to use BOTL.

I had an extremely hard time (not that hard but probably would be for many). For starters I was upgrading from Win7 Professional, I wondered why I wasn't getting the notification to upgrade but even though I chose to. I finally came across in Windows Update that the update kept failing, like everyday, I didn't know it was trying to update. I went through all kinds of tech steps to fix my windows update so that it would allow the Win10 upgrade. Not happening. Nothing worked. So eventually I came across a standalone updater. YAY! Not really. It found an app it didn't like, I had to uninstall, but that app needed a reboot to uninstall, which made me start all over. Then the updater couldn't figure out if I had enough space on my hard drive, I've got more than enough, had to start over again. 3rd time and I think it's going to work so I leave with it at 70%, smoke a stogie, comeback inside, 70%, so I close it out and start it again. 4th times a charm.

So now that it's been up and running for about 24 hours I've done a little tinkering. I have to say I think I'm going to enjoy this, I'm actually quite impressed. Windows 8/8.1 had me running fast away from it, I hated Windows 8 as I'm sure many do as well. Previous new OS installs have been "alright lets get this thing setup and customized to my liking. Windows 10 has me feeling a little different, its more of a "let's start your experience for you". I'm digging this.

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
Wasn't a fan of 8/8.1 because it was designed as a tablet OS with the tiles.

Liking 10 so far but I still think some of the "apps" don't seem to perform that well. I am still trying to figure out how to remove fucking Bing as my search provider in Edge. Bing has got to be the most useless search engine invented.

Rating - 100%
152   0   0
I upgraded to 10 from 7 (non-pro) no issues with the upgrade. Seems to be working well; all my programs and other items are working as expected. Sorry you had such an issue upgrading, glad it's working for you now.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I upgraded from 7 home and the only issue i had was chrome worked great for the first 3 days then started to crap out on me, by the end of the day it was unusable. 2 days ago, after i think 2 windows updates everything works great. Changed defaut browser back and went through all my settings and turned off anything that went and reported back to microsoft. I was not sure i was going to like it but after the first day i really liked it.

Cigarth Vader

Official Jedi of BOTL.org
Retailer
Rating - 100%
99   0   0
So far liking it on the media center PC. WAY better than 8/8.1 for a desktop.

Just picked up a Surface Pro to handle video editing on the go (3 year old MacBook Air just can't keep up anymore) installing windows 10 as I type this, so I'll let you know my thoughts!

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Rating - 100%
64   0   0
I'm glad I found this thread. I keep getting a popup on my Windows 8 laptop asking me if I want to upgrade for free. I am normally hesitant to jump to the new OS when it first comes out. I am not a fan at all of Windows 8 so think I may just go ahead and do the update.

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
I'm glad I found this thread. I keep getting a popup on my Windows 8 laptop asking me if I want to upgrade for free. I am normally hesitant to jump to the new OS when it first comes out. I am not a fan at all of Windows 8 so think I may just go ahead and do the update.
If you don't like 8 then definitely do it. It is a huge improvement over 8

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I have seen it is ok, but I love my Win 7 Pro. Also, they suit my gaming needs and changing OS can really mess with those programs.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
I have Windows 7 on my work computer and I am a fan of that and personally wouldn't change that. I upgraded from 8 to 10 though and am very happy I did.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I went from 8 .1 to 10 without an issue. I had to manually delete my old drivers for sound and add the new ones. Other wise it was just a matter of closing the doors.

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
I just went back to 7 from 10. Tried to upgrade a 6 year old computer and failed. Even though it was a high end laptop when we got it, 10 ran slow. Even browsing on chrome was unacceptable. So back to 7 it was. Now everything is speedy again.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

ChipS

Chip
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
From the standpoint of someone who is a bit of a geek.
10 is infinitely better than 8/8.1. Performance is good, start menu is back and overall its easier to use than 8. For most people I would recommend switching to 10 at this point. That being said...

Edge sucks, it is a massive step back from IE. Historically I've been a Microsoft fanboy and stuck with IE through thick and thin. Edge was lacking enough features that I gave up and installed Firefox.
I did the in-place upgrade from Win 7 Pro. System was always unstable on a stock new(ish) HP PC. Would crash periodically, would get blue screens, random reboots. I assume there was a piece of incompatible software but could never figure out what.
System finally became unbootable after a crash and I decided to re-install the 10 from scratch. Good luck with that without a key. Finally gave up and reloaded Windows 7 Pro, restored all my data and called it a day. I'll upgrade again when I feel like it but am sticking with 7 for now.

Cigarth Vader

Official Jedi of BOTL.org
Retailer
Rating - 100%
99   0   0
Well update from my end of things. Returned the Surface Pro because after 1 month it was slower than my 3 year old Macbook Air.

Oh yeah, I forgot that Windows has this nifty feature that while you're in the middle of doing something it likes to make you take a break from whatever it is you're doing by restarting the computer for no good reason.

Back to Mac. No idea why anyone would make the conscious decision to use anything other than Linux or Mac.

Hoshneer

Blumpkin King
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
Still having no issues on my end and really looking forward to the Xbox One update in November because right now my xbox annoys me with the 8.1 bullshit. I more than ever want a Playstation but I have faith it will be resolved soon.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Well update from my end of things. Returned the Surface Pro because after 1 month it was slower than my 3 year old Macbook Air.

Oh yeah, I forgot that Windows has this nifty feature that while you're in the middle of doing something it likes to make you take a break from whatever it is you're doing by restarting the computer for no good reason.

Back to Mac. No idea why anyone would make the conscious decision to use anything other than Linux or Mac.
This is why I had to go back to 7 Pro. I had three complete restarts out of nowhere in 1 hour.