What's new

Microwaving Cigars?

whodeeni

the Cigar "Gangsta" ;0(
Rating - 96.4%
149   4   2
I'm a little skeptical about this one. Especially since the use of a cigar box with
metal hinges could potentially mess up the microwave. I know that microwaves
are averse (and can be destroyed immediately when exposed to aluminum),
but i would be remiss to put a cigar box with brass hinges in a microwave and turn it on..

Click here Gents...:tiphat:

http://www.cigarsinternational.com/html/cig101_14ymt.asp

LiLo

Fire me up a
Rating - 98.7%
103   1   1
Never in a million years would i do that. I believe cigars lose a little something when frozen and i would imagine a microwave would be even worse. I don't understand the issue people have with beetles infestation methods. All you have to do is quarantine your cigars for 2-3 weeks when you get them and then always keep your cigars below 72 degrees and you won't ever have any issues.

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
The microwaving dries the cigars out, then freezing them and thawing them at room temperature brings moisture back to the cigar? This article was originally from "European Cigar Cult Journal" (Autumn 2001). Sounds like a good way to ruin your cigars......pass.

The EVP

The Bully
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Microwaving your cigars is the LAST thing you want to do to them. Microwaves affect the cell structure of whatever is being heated and causes them to breakdown.

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
I don't think this is something anyone here is going to be trying at home. It might work for those guys, but they probably do it in a pretty controlled way and not with a home microwave and throw it in a freezer.

Dr. Bunkenstein

aka Bunker
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll freeze, but no way I am microwaving. I don't even like food coming out of the mw never mind my smokes.

Greg

BoM October 2006
Rating - 100%
119   0   0
I don't think this is something anyone here is going to be trying at home. It might work for those guys, but they probably do it in a pretty controlled way and not with a home microwave and throw it in a freezer.
Maybe.

I just wanted to debunk that "cell structure" statement for a sec. First of all, I'm not sure what "cell structure" has to do with taste, but I'm pretty sure that that cell structure was gone long before that cigar touched a rollers hands. Plus, what do you think happens when you freeze thaw a cigar? I'll tell you that if there were any cell structure, that it would be destroyed after a freeze-thaw cycle (say THAT five times).

Anyhow, I don't think that the assertions of the article are that far off, and you are correct, that this experiment was probably done in a controlled setting, one that most of us here couldn't duplicate exactly.

Plus, I never worry about beetles anyhow, my humidors are too cool for them to hatch. :grin:

Last edited:

sonarman

Hey Skimmer!
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
2 things, one sounds like some of CI's stuff had shipped with beetles. And two the ultimate marketing ploy to sell more cigars after you burn all yours up

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
Well one of the things to take into consideration is that microwaves work on liquid. Try sticking a glass bowl in there with nothing in it. If it heats up it doesn't much. Now considering cigars are already really dry this article doesn't seem far off. The beetle/larva would contain enough water to burst/rupture inside your cigar! lol

strife

Watcher of the Sky
Rating - 100%
107   0   1
Second time I'm reading this and this time from a different source. All I know is the hot redhead and the geeks at Mythbusters microwaved cockroaches (no not Jere's family) and they kept on walking. Maybe we should send this one in to them.