What's new

Misinformation from TSA and AARP

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
This was part of an AARP article on "TSA’s 5 Holiday Travel Tips to Get Through Security" that I received via e-mail today.
TSA agents are confused enough without "help" from the AARP.
5. Don’t bring along prohibited items.
It seems like common sense, but every day the TSA finds banned items that passengers say they mistakenly left in their carry-on bag or pocket. From guns to box cutters to corkscrews to cigar cutters — they’re all forbidden in carry-on bags.
Lastly, an extra tip. Though you can’t bring bottled water through security, you can drink it while in line and then refill the bottle on the other side. This will save you a few dollars before you take off.

Rating - 100%
68   0   0
I fly with only carry on 90% of the time. I won't bring a good cutter, too afraid a TSA agent who doesn't know their own agency's policy will take it.
Agree. I learned the hard way when they would not let me fly with my favorite zippo. I forgot I had it when checking my bags so threw out the internals so I just had the empty casing. TSA refuses to let me carry a hollow metal box and could give no valid reason for the decision.

Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Agree. I learned the hard way when they would not let me fly with my favorite zippo. I forgot I had it when checking my bags so threw out the internals so I just had the empty casing. TSA refuses to let me carry a hollow metal box and could give no valid reason for the decision.
I thought lighter fluid was a no no in checked bags. I thought you could only carry on a zippo. At least that's what I've been doing the last 2 years.

BradMc

<b>Charity Liaison</b><br>BoM September 07
Rating - 100%
148   0   0
Only place my Cutter has been taken was Nicaragua, Learn my lesson with Lighters , Now I carry a DOT Lighter carrier in Suit case and just use a Bic lighter in my carry on ......

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tend not to want to give TSA a reason to pay attention to my carry-on stuff. I don’t want to give the carry-on scanner agent any reason to want to look in my bags. I don’t want then to say, “That looks funny so let’s pull it for a search.” Who knows what will set off the human operator.

TSA once pulled my briefcase with computer gear, chargers, headset, files, old batteries, loose change and stuff. They proceeded to give all my stuff the, what I call, ‘the full TSA treatment.” They literally took every single item out of my briefcase one....thing....at...a....time. They thoroughly inspected every item one at a time and did it very slowly. When I say everything, I mean everything. All the hardware, old wrapped candy, some Tylenal tablets that were loose because the lid to the container came off once. Loose change, old papers. Crumpled post-it notes. Single paper clips. Lint. Everything.

Once they had everything out they looked at all the stuff again.

When they didn’t find any contraband they placed everything back in,...one...thing...at...a....time. They inspected everything a third time as they slowly as when it came out.

Then they said I could leave. The total time in line to get to the checkpoint and complete the TSA search was about 90 minutes.

Before leaving I asked the head prick, I mean the TSA Supervisor, what keyed them off to search my stuff like they did. He said, “It was the PowerBar you have in the briefcase. The type of wrapper they used reflected too much of the X-rays.”

Just a point, the PowerBar was in the front pocket of the briefcase and about the third thing they took out. So even after they found the offending item, confirmed it was a real PowerBar, and not plastic explosives, they continued to give me the “full TSA treatment.”

As a result of their diligent execution of their powers, I missed my flight. I had to wait 3 hours for next flight. Fortunately, the airline had a couple open seats on that flight. Otherwise, it could have taken longer to get to my destination.

My inconvenience was a result of snack food. Imagine what they could do if they think you have a ‘lethal’ cigar cutter. Like me, you could be absolutely in the right. However, you could easily end up paying a hefty price in inconvenience by missing a flight. Remember, the airline doesn’t have any responsibility in what happens in the TSA process. As a result, the airline has no obligation to go out of their way to fix any problems caused by you being delayed by TSA, even if TSA is wrong.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
I have been through Honolulu, Seattle, Seoul, Bangkok, Siem Reap, Maldives, Chang Mai all within the last two years and have never had anything taken from my carry on 15 count herfador. I have always carried a Xikar xi2 and/or vx2 and a bic style lighter along with as many cigars I can fit. I have been stopped on many occasion for TSA to inspect but no one has ever taken anything. On the longer trips the herfador was in a backpack with light clothing, headphones and a snack or two and on shorter trips it was stuffed in a small roller bag with clothes.

Every time my bag gets flagged I have told TSA it is probably my cigars that are getting flagged. I pack them on top of my backpack or easily accessible in the roller bag and immediately point to them. Most agents are a little confused with the vx2 cutter but explain they need to press the button for it to open and the are cool about it and I’m on my way. A couple extra minutes but I am always very open and prepared to be searched.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I used to work for an X-ray detection system company so had to get through TSA all the time. Whether to fly to a customer or just work on the machine in the airport without flying, I had to pass through the security process. I was pulled aside many times for my tool kit, as i should be. But since i was working on their equipment, all my gear was put right back in the toolbox.
In their defense, the FAA does run some test pieces through where folks can be fired if they don't catch these items.

memphsdad

But I don't live in Memphis
Rating - 100%
116   0   0
I have been through Honolulu, Seattle, Seoul, Bangkok, Siem Reap, Maldives, Chang Mai all within the last two years and have never had anything taken from my carry on 15 count herfador. I have always carried a Xikar xi2 and/or vx2 and a bic style lighter along with as many cigars I can fit. I have been stopped on many occasion for TSA to inspect but no one has ever taken anything. On the longer trips the herfador was in a backpack with light clothing, headphones and a snack or two and on shorter trips it was stuffed in a small roller bag with clothes.

Every time my bag gets flagged I have told TSA it is probably my cigars that are getting flagged. I pack them on top of my backpack or easily accessible in the roller bag and immediately point to them. Most agents are a little confused with the vx2 cutter but explain they need to press the button for it to open and the are cool about it and I’m on my way. A couple extra minutes but I am always very open and prepared to be searched.
^ same - always have a cutter and a bic, never have an issue

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I tend not to want to give TSA a reason to pay attention to my carry-on stuff. I don’t want to give the carry-on scanner agent any reason to want to look in my bags. I don’t want then to say, “That looks funny so let’s pull it for a search.” Who knows what will set off the human operator.

TSA once pulled my briefcase with computer gear, chargers, headset, files, old batteries, loose change and stuff. They proceeded to give all my stuff the, what I call, ‘the full TSA treatment.” They literally took every single item out of my briefcase one....thing....at...a....time. They thoroughly inspected every item one at a time and did it very slowly. When I say everything, I mean everything. All the hardware, old wrapped candy, some Tylenal tablets that were loose because the lid to the container came off once. Loose change, old papers. Crumpled post-it notes. Single paper clips. Lint. Everything.

Once they had everything out they looked at all the stuff again.

When they didn’t find any contraband they placed everything back in,...one...thing...at...a....time. They inspected everything a third time as they slowly as when it came out.

Then they said I could leave. The total time in line to get to the checkpoint and complete the TSA search was about 90 minutes.

Before leaving I asked the head prick, I mean the TSA Supervisor, what keyed them off to search my stuff like they did. He said, “It was the PowerBar you have in the briefcase. The type of wrapper they used reflected too much of the X-rays.”

Just a point, the PowerBar was in the front pocket of the briefcase and about the third thing they took out. So even after they found the offending item, confirmed it was a real PowerBar, and not plastic explosives, they continued to give me the “full TSA treatment.”

As a result of their diligent execution of their powers, I missed my flight. I had to wait 3 hours for next flight. Fortunately, the airline had a couple open seats on that flight. Otherwise, it could have taken longer to get to my destination.

My inconvenience was a result of snack food. Imagine what they could do if they think you have a ‘lethal’ cigar cutter. Like me, you could be absolutely in the right. However, you could easily end up paying a hefty price in inconvenience by missing a flight. Remember, the airline doesn’t have any responsibility in what happens in the TSA process. As a result, the airline has no obligation to go out of their way to fix any problems caused by you being delayed by TSA, even if TSA is wrong.
Man, I'm livid just reading this.

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
I totally get it that some have gone through TSA many times with cutters, and not had them confiscated. That still doesn't work for me with my quality cutters though, because all it takes is one misinformed agent and my cutters are gone. I have brought the $10 Cuban Crafters through, but I don't care as much if that gets swiped.

A couple of you mentioned lighters, and again, since I use carry-on only, I needed to find a solution for this (since I haven't come up with a good one for cutters). I have had great luck with the Soto Pocket Torch, which turns a "cricket" style lighter into a torch. I take the two parts of the Soto apart and put them in one pocket of my carry on, and then a couple Cricket lighters in another pocket. The Soto cost me $16 and works like a charm, and you can get 50 Cricket lighters for $23 on eBay, which will last me a couple years.
https://www.campsaver.com/soto-pocket-torch.html

Rating - 100%
61   0   0
I totally get it that some have gone through TSA many times with cutters, and not had them confiscated. That still doesn't work for me with my quality cutters though, because all it takes is one misinformed agent and my cutters are gone. I have brought the $10 Cuban Crafters through, but I don't care as much if that gets swiped.

A couple of you mentioned lighters, and again, since I use carry-on only, I needed to find a solution for this (since I haven't come up with a good one for cutters). I have had great luck with the Soto Pocket Torch, which turns a "cricket" style lighter into a torch. I take the two parts of the Soto apart and put them in one pocket of my carry on, and then a couple Cricket lighters in another pocket. The Soto cost me $16 and works like a charm, and you can get 50 Cricket lighters for $23 on eBay, which will last me a couple years.
https://www.campsaver.com/soto-pocket-torch.html
I slightly understand the hesitation but being upfront and honest about what you have should lead to no issue. I can only see the absolute worse case that you have to ask for a supervisor.

I’m not sure what cutter you have but I’ll offer up a Xikar Xi1 you can have if your cutter gets taken.

I don’t have anything to hide and have always been more than helpful with TSA and they have all returned the courtesy.

Don’t be trying to carry a torch lighter, a full water bottle and some other bs and it should be no issue.

I have always found a little over assistance with any law/security officer always goes a long way as they are used to being treated like shit. Even if your wrong being the nice guy and allowing them to feel like they are the boss makes your life easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk