What's new

Mixing cigars

Donk

WTF is a Donk?
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Here is a question for debate. In my good cigar humi, I have all of my really good quality cigars, from Opus to de silvo to CC, Partagas, Torono, and some others. I have them all nicley arranged for air movement and effective space use. But is it good or not so good to mix all kinds od cigars together. I have don't have any flavored cigars anymore, I's all growed up now!! But should you not intermingle all the diffrent ones together? to maintain consistant flavor? or after a period of time will they kind of start tasting like eachother? I also go no cello on my cigars. What is the best way to do long term storing and aging? Considering I don't have a coolidor, just my 100 count desktop humi for my premo cigars, and a 100 count humi for my daily smokers.

tubaman

3 Time BoM
Rating - 100%
173   0   0
Well, if you are storing cigars for long term aging, keeping them loose in a desktop humi is not the way to go. There is a reason the best aging cigars (in my opinion) come in either tubos or SLB/SBN. One might think that this would hinder proper humidity, but if your humi/cooler is stable with proper humidity, it will be perfectly safe for your cigars. The theory is that the tubo or the SLB seals in the flavors so to speak. All of these options slow the aging process down dramatically, but others say and I concur they age better this way. Once you break a box, the aging is not as good, that is why the most renowned collectors do not break their boxes they are putting down for long term aging. Some even wrap their boxes in plastic to further seal the box.

You are correct when you say cigars of different kinds will "marry" flavors if stored together, but this is only over a VERY long period of time imo. Putting a Cohiba right beside a Montecristo is not going to give you a cigar that tastes like a Cocristo in a month! You have nothing to worry about unless you plan on storing them like this for several years. If you are planning to age them this long, you should look for another way of storing them.

Kevin

kirscovitch

Mad Matt
Rating - 100%
51   0   0
i keep all my cc's and premium nc's all in one humidor and all my "cheap" smokes in another. i havent noticed any difference in flavor of any of the cigars. imho, as long as you stay away from flavored smokes, you shouldnt have any sort of problems.
as far as cello is concerned, if my smokes come wrapped, i leave em on. if they dont, oh well. cello will still "breathe" abd its too annoying peeling the cello off of 25 cigars.

MichiganM

The One, The Only
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Well, if you are storing cigars for long term aging, keeping them loose in a desktop humi is not the way to go. There is a reason the best aging cigars (in my opinion) come in either tubos or SLB/SBN. One might think that this would hinder proper humidity, but if your humi/cooler is stable with proper humidity, it will be perfectly safe for your cigars. The theory is that the tubo or the SLB seals in the flavors so to speak. All of these options slow the aging process down dramatically, but others say and I concur they age better this way. Once you break a box, the aging is not as good, that is why the most renowned collectors do not break their boxes they are putting down for long term aging. Some even wrap their boxes in plastic to further seal the box.

You are correct when you say cigars of different kinds will "marry" flavors if stored together, but this is only over a VERY long period of time imo. Putting a Cohiba right beside a Montecristo is not going to give you a cigar that tastes like a Cocristo in a month! You have nothing to worry about unless you plan on storing them like this for several years. If you are planning to age them this long, you should look for another way of storing them.

Kevin

I couldn't have said it better myself. That's really about all ya need to know.

MichiganM

The One, The Only
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
SLB stands for slide lid box. You'll commonly see these in cabs and other presentations. It differs from a dress box in that the wood slides forward to reveal the cigars instead of pulling up and it isn't dressy. Some people prefer these for aging due to the layout of the cigars.

Donk

WTF is a Donk?
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
how does it effect the aging? isn't climate control all the same? If the cigars are a stable let's say 70% humidity and 70 deg. temp. won't they age the same? no matter what box they are in?

MichiganM

The One, The Only
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Aging, especially long term aging, can be affected by more factors than you can count on one hand my friend.

Temperature, humidity, variance in those, amount of sunlight, the kind of box the cigars are in, tubos or not, handling, moving, air circulation and many other factors can all affect aging of cigars. I've even heard barometric pressure being a factor if you can believe it or not.

I'm not sure what you mean by "isn't climate control all the same". All the same in relativity to what? I'm not sure if I understand that question. As to the last part, no cigars won't age the same if you have one set if cigars in a dress box, or let's say stored in singles, as cigars stored unopened in a SLB. Of course, as with anything subjective, your mileage may vary. This is just an opinion expressed by a majority in this hobby.

Donk

WTF is a Donk?
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
huh, I did not know that was how people stored for aging. I thought alot of them used the box the cigars came in and just kept them in a coolidor

MichiganM

The One, The Only
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
huh, I did not know that was how people stored for aging. I thought alot of them used the box the cigars came in and just kept them in a coolidor
I'm unsure of what you're talking about.

Some cigars do come in a slide lid box. When people age them in one, it's usually because that's what the cigars came in.

tubaman

3 Time BoM
Rating - 100%
173   0   0
how does it effect the aging? isn't climate control all the same? If the cigars are a stable let's say 70% humidity and 70 deg. temp. won't they age the same? no matter what box they are in?
No, it's not a matter of rh, well it is, but not in the scope of your question. It's a matter of keeping the flavors and aroma locked in. For example, you know how when you get, say coffee beans in a vacuum sealed bag? When you open that up, there is a tremendous wave of aroma that hits you when you smell it. That aroma is "locked" in when you vacuum seal it. That's the idea behind using tubos, to keep the flavors in. The more you expose something to the air, the more it will become stale for lack of a better term.

SLB is a Slide Lid Box made of all cedar, generally unvarnished except for Cohibas and maybe some others. SBN is Semi Boite Nature w/ Brooch or clasp. SBN's are generally varnished on all sides except the bottom. The box resembles a humidor, but it isn't with a clasp to hold the lid shut. SBN's make a wonderful presentation of the cigars visually, and many contend the varnish increases the boxes amplifies the cigars strength inside.

Kevin

Donk

WTF is a Donk?
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
well, I'm a little lost, so the way I'm aging my cigars is wrong then? what can I do then? without spending alot of money?

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
well, I'm a little lost, so the way I'm aging my cigars is wrong then? what can I do then? without spending alot of money?

If your not talking minimum for 3-5 years as short term storage, or even like 7-10 years or more for storage, your best way is to find smokes that smoke well now and enjoy smoking them now. :thumbsup:

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
Donk,
For what its worth, I leave cigars in the box he come in whenever possible. When I have loose cigars I will put them in an SLB or cedar box. Your fine. In terms of marrying flavors the term in look at is long time or years. I know guys that have dozens of original boxes. Everyone is trying to tell you how they do it not how you have to do it.

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
I just re-read your first post Donk, honestly your not going to do aging in a 100 count desktop humidor, period. If you like to remove the cello and keep the cigars spaced apart for airflow, same thing. These two storage methods you mention are to speed up aging and are detrimental to long term storage from everything I read. For less than three years, what your doing is just fine.

Electric Sheep

Dsicle - BoM Dec 06
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
For what its worth, I leave cigars in the box he come in whenever possible. When I have loose cigars I will put them in an SLB or cedar box.
That is exactly what I've been doing. All of my cigars are in boxes, whether the original ones they came in, or singles stashed in boxes (usually grouped according to style, origin, brand, etc).

MichiganM

The One, The Only
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Donk, my posts were simply meant as guide tools when you get into the arena of long term aging. Keeping similar or non similar cigars close together for short term aging or smoking (relatively speaking) is fine.

Most people never mind what is in their singles drawer because once they're in a singles drawer (or a desktop humi) they're meant for smoking within a year or so.

You're fine.

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
If they are singles they don't go in a box inside my humidor.

That way I can gurantee they won't be sitting in there too long...especially when I can see them through the glass top. :rofl:

Donk,
Unless your singles are going to be in there together for like 20 years don't worry about it. You are not doing anything wrong.

I do have a few RE singles that I am storing for little bit of time and I placed those in a ziploc to try and prevent exposing them to too much oxygen...to slow the ageing process.