What's new

MLB and Palmeiro

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
What are your thoughts on the reports that he tested positive in like May and MLB didn't release the results until after he hit his 3000th hit and they made all the hoopla about it?

1f1fan

Toast!
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
wasch_24 said:
What are your thoughts on the reports that he tested positive in like May and MLB didn't release the results until after he hit his 3000th hit and they made all the hoopla about it?
I don't watch baseball, or many pro sports for that matter. However, everyone needs to look at sports today for what they are....a business. What do big businesses do when the shit hits the fan.....cover their ass. IMHO what they did cheats the fans and the current record holders.....its a joke. Just my opinion based on your post.....if there is more to it I could be wrong.....

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I think since he was appealing it it was OK, until their final ruling. BUT...why DID he get special treatment? Makes you think...

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
It's crap. If I get tested for a "banned" substance at work I get fired. Period. I realize steroids aren't the same thing as other substances (i.e. pot, coke, other drugs), but it's the same thing in principle. In fact, for sports steroids are almost worse than the above as the enhance performance. I just don't understand why the owners don't get more fired up. I know that all these hulking hitters draw fans supposedly (not me, I hate the sport), but their use of steroids is also what is causing the ownership to have to pay them a gazillion dollars every year. I say give 'em a year to get it out of their system and then institute random testing with the following penalty:
YOU ARE BANNED FROM PROFESSIONAL BASE ALL.

PERIOD!

tobby4

June '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
In the current CBA(collective Bargaining Agreement), it says that all players have the right to appeal their substance abuse suspensions... it also says that high profile players can appeal before their suspension....All of these other guys that you hear about failing are relative no names so they cannot appeal until after the suspension has started, but the CBA clearly says that certain players can and certain players cannot....

Whether that is right or wrong i dont know nor do i really care...

now to if they should be banned or not, i am not trying to play devils advocate here but i think that if they get caught with Anabolic steriods in thier system they should be banned, nobody that has been suspended in the MLB in the US this year has had anabolic roids in them... for all we know raffy could have taken something completely different than roids that is allowed in moderation but he went over that threshold that MLB has in place..

tobby4

June '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
yea that just came out, well i just saw it.... apparently the same thing that Ben johnson lost his gold for..

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
I hear what you are saying Clay, and I understand if there are certain things that are allowed, but only up to a certain point. But when it comes to some things, especially steroids, it should be bye-bye.

tobby4

June '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
bye bye yes, but not on the first time, only because of the amount of things that contain banned steroids.... many of the mens daily vitamins contain "illegal" amounts of steroids...

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
That's how I feel...but only if there is some way to differentiate between the positive results of each.

Unintentional...susoension, then banned.

Intentional...banned

tobby4

June '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
but there is absolutely no way to differentiate... lie detector ha please, there is really no way to really know....

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
How do you accidentally take steriods? and they test for specific substances...

The lying and arrogance is what I can't stand...

tobby4

June '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
allanf said:
How do you accidentally take steriods? and they test for specific substances...

The lying and arrogance is what I can't stand...
have you ever taken centrum complete? cause if so then you took traces of some drugs that MLB has deemed illegal and banned...

tobby4

June '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
no you are right, but the acceptable levels for us is extremely different than those for them as we all know..... but it is not the daily amount that worries the MLB it is the limits that they set, that are low and unfortunately some of these drugs really do not do anything in the amounts that they are consumed...

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
I am under the impression, from reporting I've seen/heard, that they can differentiate between the types of steroids and other banned substances.

tobby4

June '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
yes but as has been argued that is something that comes through the appelate process...

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
My doctor used to say that taking vitamins only gave you expensive urine...

I think, not a scientist, that they can test for VERY specific things....they can tell naturally ocurring testosterone from added test I even think...

But you raise a good point...I was quick to rush to judgement about this guy, because, as the old saying goes..he who protests too much...This guy has a lot on the line...and when we have a lot on the line, some people will say anything...