What's new

Moka Pot help?

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
Quick help needed, I'm a noob with my Moka Pot... LOL

Does it work okay to put less coffee grinds in the cup and less water to only make a couple shots? Or do you need to fill it up with coffee grinds and water to make it work properly? I only want a couple shots for myself and don't want to use so much coffee but everything I've seen and read talk about filling it up. I tried doing less one time and it didn't taste that good, maybe it was just in my head though. :dunno:

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
One thing I just read that I might try is someone suggested to do less coffee, fill up the water, but then once the coffee starts coming out take off the heat to only have a couple shots worth of coffee come out. Most everyone else I saw said simply buy a smaller pot.

thejavaman

BoM December 2012
Rating - 100%
160   0   0
The extraction of the coffee oils will probably be better with the full amount (thus leading to a better tasting shot). I'm a coffee snob though, so take that fwiw. :)

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
Yeah I hear ya... just pains me to use so much coffee when I only want a couple shots worth of liquid. I'm using a lot more coffee grinds compared to my automatic machine that crapped out on me recently.

thejavaman

BoM December 2012
Rating - 100%
160   0   0
Yeah I hear ya... just pains me to use so much coffee when I only want a couple shots worth of liquid. I'm using a lot more coffee grinds compared to my automatic machine that crapped out on me recently.
Yeah, waste is never good. That's why I love my semi-automatic espresso machine. I use roughly 17 grams of coffee for a double shot. I grind directly into my portafiler. No waste at all. Do you strictly use a moka pot? Ever use a regular espresso machine or Aeropress? Totally different cup obviously, but it would help you dramatically cut down on wasted coffee.

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
Fwiw I freaking love my aeropress. It's not espresso tho, no matter how hard they market it as an espresso maker.
This man speaks the truth! :)

Definitely not espresso, but it makes a mean cup of coffee.
not like kev's opinion needs backing, but thirded, the aero rocks hard! o)

and, yeah, i would worry that, without enough grounds, they wouldn't stay compacted enough throughout the brewing process to ensure proper extraction, so a smaller size would be in order. hell, i usually press mine down like i would in a full espresso machine, so it damn near comes out as a puck after brewing (about a 1/4 measuring cup fits the diameter of my moka, IIRC).

then again, mine makes almost 16oz, and i drink that on top of a pot of drip coffee. but we all can agree that i'm a corner case in this.

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
Get a smaller one, but to get the best you need to make the amount it's designed for.
Yeah I figured so... just no desire to be buying another thing right now before moving into a new house this year (hopefully)