What's new

Mold or plume

BasicTek

I don't smoke cigars often... HaHa just kidding :)
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
It's always mold unfortunately. There's a company that will pay I think it's $500 if anyone can send actual "plume". Last I heard every cigar they received had some sort of mold.

If it's light you can brush it off (I used a toothbrush) but if it gets inside the foot (which your pics look like it had) the cigars are usually ruined

EDIT In light of them being fakes I'd say the mold is saving you a bad smoking experience.

Last edited:

Dio

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Sorry buddy it is mold and it is the nasty kind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's always mold unfortunately. There's a company that will pay I think it's $500 if anyone can send actual "plume". Last I heard every cigar they received had some sort of mold.

If it's light you can brush it off (I used a toothbrush) but if it gets inside the foot (which your pics look like it had) the cigars are usually ruined

EDIT In light of them being fakes I'd say the mold is saving you a bad smoking experience.
Never heard of this company, link? Curious to read up on this.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Yea, I was gifted half a box of the same cigars two years ago, wo the mold. Still trying to work up the courage to try one.

here's the link

BasicTek

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Never heard of this company, link? Curious to read up on this.
@Boudie put in the link.

My understanding is that whatever you call it mold or plume it's still technically mold (or someone spilled white powder on your cigars). It doesn't seem to cause problems until it gets inside the cigar. When I see it I always brush it off.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
plume is a fine and consistent dusting of mold over the entire length of the cigar. :LOL:

i bought an Acid cigar from a shady convenience store once where they weren't even storing them in a humidor. it looked fine on the outside. i took one puff on it and quickly put it out. i was tasting that one puff for days, there was definitely some biological activity going on. after that experience i don't think I could smoke anything with observable mold on it. :cigar:

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, I was gifted half a box of the same cigars two years ago, wo the mold. Still trying to work up the courage to try one.

here's the link
That was an amazing read, thank you!

Altercall

I beat you all May '08 :)
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
@Boudie put in the link.

My understanding is that whatever you call it mold or plume it's still technically mold (or someone spilled white powder on your cigars). It doesn't seem to cause problems until it gets inside the cigar. When I see it I always brush it off.
I’ll have to look through my stuff and get $500. Plume takes a long time to form, but I’ve had several sticks for it over the years. It’s crystalline, so it shines in the light, unlike mold. It is also not textured. It gathers in the pores of the leaf. Mold rubs off pretty easily, plume doesn’t.

FYI, plume takes a loooong time to form, and a very oily cigar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BasicTek

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I’ll have to look through my stuff and get $500. Plume takes a long time to form, but I’ve had several sticks for it over the years. It’s crystalline, so it shines in the light, unlike mold. It is also not textured. It gathers in the pores of the leaf. Mold rubs off pretty easily, plume doesn’t.

FYI, plume takes a loooong time to form, and a very oily cigar.
It would be interesting to see if this is every scientifically proven.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0

They were given to me by someone so I’m not out anything. Just so I know in the future, how can you tell they are fakes?

BasicTek

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
They were given to me by someone so I’m not out anything. Just so I know in the future, how can you tell they are fakes?
I can't tell just by looking but others on this thread pointed it out, and there are some sites that will give you all the details on what to look for