What's new

Mold vs. Bloom - Newbie Question

wdh

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I finally found my box of Sublimes and was a bit bummed yesterday to break all the seals and find six sticks with a bunch of.....stuff on them. I think it's mold - doesn't look like the photos of bloom I've seen. OTOH it wipes right off and doesn't leave a stain. I'm fairly new to collecting cigars so this is a bit of a new situation for me....any thoughts from you veterens out there? Thanks in advance -

PS - Sorry, I can't figure out how to get past this 5 post rule for displaying images so the picture can be found on the BOTL site at:

botl.org/community/forums/gallery/150846018e7f7a322.jpg

gpugliese

Beware the penguins...
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
The obvious answer is to send the box to me for extensive testing.

And that's without a doubt some serious mold you've got going on.

Donk

WTF is a Donk?
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Well, I finally found my box of Sublimes and was a bit bummed yesterday to break all the seals and find six sticks with a bunch of.....stuff on them. I think it's mold - doesn't look like the photos of bloom I've seen. OTOH it wipes right off and doesn't leave a stain. I'm fairly new to collecting cigars so this is a bit of a new situation for me....any thoughts from you veterens out there? Thanks in advance -

First off, You'll need to send me only one For further observation :bouncetau
Second, Wow sorry dude, that is a lot of mold. If the "Mold" wipes off without harming the wrapper and it looks like no mold is on or in the foot of the cigar you should be ok. Wipe it all off with a slightly damp rag and don't put the Sublime in with any other cigars for a while until your sure that the mold will not return. Hope that helps some. Also don't ziplock bag them either, let them breathe in the box or humi where they are going to be stored. Well that is my 2 cents.

wdh

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the great feedback folks....all things considered it sounds like it could have been a lot worse. I'll keep an eye on them and let you know if I need help starting the fire.....

Irritech

Punch Super
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Thanks for the great feedback folks....all things considered it sounds like it could have been a lot worse. I'll keep an eye on them and let you know if I need help starting the fire.....
Well, no not much (worse) actually. That's a pretty bad case of the crud. I would be very distraught. Have had some issues myself lately, but not with Sublimes. GL bro :bigeyes:

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
Wipe off with distilled water. Also be sure to take the bands off and wipe that part of the cigar too.

oneaday

2007 BoY
Rating - 100%
112   0   0
Hey Bill, I know it's disappointing to open a box and find them in less than optimum condition. Yep it sure does blow and they do look yucky and everthing else the fine bros here have mentioned. Maybe because I'm so old I'm getting cranky but please heed this oldtimers suggestion.....don't wipe and smoke em. SEND THEM BACK TO WHOMEVER SOLD THEM TO YOU. I don't know of any vendor that wouldn't take back a box if they recieved an email with your problem picture attached to it. If he has a phone number listed I'd call him as well, if he dosen't have one listed PM me and I might be able to get you a current number. Once you get it settled, I know where you can get a box of those with your choice of several box codes and they come from the mold free zone.
I will close with this final thought

Send em back, send em back, send em back, send em back, send em back.

oneaday

2007 BoY
Rating - 100%
112   0   0
Do you have a certain amount of time before you shouldn't send them back?

If you've cracked the seals to inspect and you have the mess Bill found, I wouldnt't hesitate to contact the vendor, even if they were in my humi for several months. Any reputable vendor will give you the benefit of the doubt and replace or credit your account. I always inspect any thing I recieve as soon as it hits my door even knowing the vendor inspects my stuff before he ships. Of course that ain't entirely fullproof either as "visabe" mold can develop after shipment but that can usually be detected by the slightly moldy smell, before the mold appears, (amonia is a whole different problem) when opening the box.

I try to live by the addage that life is to short to smoke bad cigars and that of course includes moldy.

Just an oldtimers view.