What's new

Mold?

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I started taking inventory of my collection today....as I was looking thru I found two cigars that had a little bit of a white substance on the end where it is lit one is a partags 150 and the other is a perdomo reserve cabinet series....I think it my be mold....I removed them from my cooler...is there any hope or should I just git rid of them?

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
If it were me, I'd just go ahead and smoke them. Especially if the white stuff was 3-d and fuzzy.

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
If it was just a tiny bit on the foot and they don't smell musty then I would keep them.
This happened to me a couple weeks ago, got a little fuzzy thing growin on the foot of one of my cigars. Immediately took it out of the humidor, and put it in an empty cigar box. Came back a week or so later and ended up just chopping the end off with a cutter and then smoking it like usual and it was pretty good.

I had a few days where the humidity went crazy for some reason. Did some arranging in the cooler and things haven't gone up since then. Maybe I didn't seal the thing properly

tubaman

3 Time BoM
Rating - 100%
173   0   0
I just checked it and it was at 70 degree and rh at 68.... I have a cooler so I turned the fan on....what should I keep it at ?
There are as many opinions as there are cigar smokers, so my initial answer is to keep them at whatever the cigars smoke best for you. I happen to keep my between 63 and 65% humidity. Anything much more than that and the burn isn't as nice, and there can be draw issues among other things. Around 60 and lower, and they will burn too hot for my liking. I also try to keep my cigars a little cooler, but 70 degrees is ok. Around there and higher, any beetles larvae that are in there could hatch and you could have a beetle problem.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
cool thanks for the advise.....I am still trying to learn the basics.....I guess it will take some time to see what is best for me...but for now I am gonna keep them a little cooler...thanks alot

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like bloom to me if it is white. If it is flat and not 3D it is bloom, and that is a good thing because your cigars are aging. Isolate them and see if it starts to spead, but if it doesn't and I don't think it will, it is bloom. Put them back and they are safe to smoke.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Sounds like bloom to me if it is white. If it is flat and not 3D it is bloom, and that is a good thing because your cigars are aging. Isolate them and see if it starts to spead, but if it doesn't and I don't think it will, it is bloom. Put them back and they are safe to smoke.
I was looking at some pictures on the net and to me it looked more like mold....also one site said that bloom forms crystals.....I have them isolated right now so I guess time will tell.

I see your from crown point...I used to live in Rensselaer a few years ago!!

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No big deal. I've had everything all setup right in the bin, and this one leaf would spot, I did get rid of the cedar sleaves they were in. I wiped the spots and put them back.

IMO mold, more than less, goes dormant under ideal storage conditions, another note mold breaths CO2 and releases O2, you may need a little more circulation.